The Fairytale Tarot: first impressions

baba-prague

magpie9 said:
I'd prefer to, it's the probable shipping cost that worries me..how much does it cost to ship 650 grams to New Mexico?? Other times I've had stuff shipped from Europe, it was really expensive.

We do flat-rate shipping all over the world - it just seemed the easiest way for now We also have a brilliant special offer from now to the end of October (in fact, I am beginning to think it's a bit too brilliant ;-) and we probably won't offer anything quite so extravagent again!)

The best thing would be to look at the site:

http://www.fairytaletarot.com

and follow the links. I don't think I can give a direct link to our shop here without getting very close to breaking the rules.

Thordia

Mine arrived this morning! I haven't had much time to look at them yet but all I can say is wow, the cards are just stunning! With the golden arch and border you feel like you are looking through a window into these fairytale scenes. Looks great! I'm going to be playing with mine this afternoon- talk about a great way to cheer up my rainy, dull day.. well done to all involved, the whole kit is lovely :)

baba-prague

Thank-you! This phase when the very first decks are arriving is always pretty thrilling to me. It's just lovely that they are actually real and finding their homes.

The cards (if you choose to really use the tales) is quite difficult initially to use in the larger spreads. I did a CC and it took me AGES to read it - although when I did it was very revealing. I'd love to hear how you find the cards. First off (in spite of now knowing the stories so well) I couldn't decide whether to read "RWS" or just ignore that and let the stories do the speaking - it took a while for the two to sort of merge in my mind. I think it's a good, stretching deck - and it produces wonderful dreams too (well, with me at any rate)!

baba-prague

ArwenNightstar said:
I just sw this deck and it is GORGEOUS! :) I must have it. :) I think it will be perfect to work on my Fairy Tale Spreads book. Your work (and Alex's) is gorgeous, Lady. Just gorgeous.

Thank-you! And I would LOVE to hear how the deck works with your spreads - that will be so interesting. There is so much packed into fairy tales (hey, I don't need to tell you this, do I!?) and reading with them is just so - well - I can't describe it. It opens things up in a very distinctive way. There's so much in these stories that I think we all respond to in a very "gut feeling" way. Promise to post once you've tried the cards please!

ArwenNightstar

baba-prague said:
Thank-you! And I would LOVE to hear how the deck works with your spreads - that will be so interesting. There is so much packed into fairy tales (hey, I don't need to tell you this, do I!?) and reading with them is just so - well - I can't describe it. It opens things up in a very distinctive way. There's so much in these stories that I think we all respond to in a very "gut feeling" way. Promise to post once you've tried the cards please!

Well let's just say it went to the top of my must buy list and pushed Tarot of Dreams down!

I am working on a spread based on Sadko right now.

Do you have a copy of the Maiden King (Tsar) or know of a source where I could find it? I am going to hit the library tomorrow. The tidbits I saw (John Bly) were fascinating!

Jewel-ry

Just opened it baba and I love it!

I love the size of the cards, the card stock and laminate, the borders, the backs, the book...the whole package. Its just wonderful.

Favourite cards include the Chariot, Strength, Tower, Star, Moon and the World which is not often a card I am particulrly drawn to, and thats just the Majors!

Using the Emperor's new clothes for the 6 Wands throws a completely new angle on the meaning and brings to mind the fact that you materialism can make you so shallow that people can see right through you. All of this and I have only just flicked through.

Wonderful!!!!

Thank-you once again, this is going to be another classic :)

Eco74

After letting the deck simmer in my mind for a while - I think I'm ready to put into words how I like it.
And I do.. Like it that is. A lot!

The artwork is absolutely wonderful. Like seeing the fairytales through grown-up eyes (with all that detail in them) but with the mind of a child.
They really do inspire a world of their own, even when just looking through the deck and I'm feeling a bit awed by the thought of doing readings with it. Starting off with one-card-draws would probably be the best thing for me so I can get familiar with the fairytales that are new to me.

The book is brilliant too. While clearly narrated the fairytales in it come to life through the images so there's certainly a good cooperation between deck and book.
I recognise several of the fairytales too, in one form or a different version of it that I recall having read or heard before. The narrative format allows variations in my imaginatioin which I think broadens the possibilities for me to read the cards in various ways.

And favourite cards..

I really don't know if this is a "correct" response to the card in question but the Five of Cups had me laughing out loud when I saw it. That's certainly a merry way of accepting ones losses if I ever saw one and gives the card a few added dimensions. :D
Other cards that stood out are Temperance, Queen of Cups and Knight of Swords. I have exactly no cards at all that I didn't take a liking to, though the Three of Swords packed quite a punch and actually made me somewhat upset, which it usually doesn't. And the Ace of Wands is absolutely inspiring.
I'm sure I'll find more cards that will stick in my mind the more I look through the deck and use it, but these are the ones that are still clear in my memory 24+ hours after the first look-through. Not bad at all considering I usually have a very short memory and maybe manage to remember two or three of the cards at most with most decks after the first look at the cards. ;)

Kissa

hi, my name is kissa and i'm still a tarotholic ;)

i didn't mean to give up that easily. i mean, i was wrong, i thought i was. the package first sit in the car for an hour before we got home.
then i thought i can open open it and have a glance at these cute tzech oracle cards that came with the Fairytale tarot set.
i glanced at the oracle cards, they are indeed cute.

put the bookplate in the book, so that i don't lose it straight away.
with young kids playing around in the house, it was easy to decide not to open the Fairytale set any further than a quick look at the book. anyway the cards look way too different than the universal waite i had been having a very happy and fillfulling relationship with for the last six days.

but i didn't expect rachel.

rachel got me.

the set was safe in my tarot cupboard/closet, the one i used to have so many decks in, in addition to the ones on the bookshelf. cards wrapped. sealed that is.

after a nice sofa potatoe evening involving early bedtime for kids, tv series ("without a trace"), some surfing on eBay and here, i went upstairs. i should have known myself better when i thought "i'll go upstairs with the fairytale stuff, i'll read the book a bit but won't open the cards" yeah sure...

i watched at the really nice backs. i glanced at the book, then i remembered reading Rachel Pollack's introduction on the fairytale tarot website and suddenly remembered how frustrated i got when i wanted to read the tale she wrote for one card and couldn't because it is not on the net, only in the book.

i read it. darn.

and pam! just like that, i had to unseal the cards.

and it was magic. the colours were so bright, the drawings look like a incredible blend of both very old children book illustrations with ultramodern computer features (noticed in the clothes designs, like Death for example. for one moment i tried to figure out if it is or not a Marimekko original design...)

what i am most grateful to baba studio for, is that their newest creation kicked me back to my childhood. i was an eager listener to fairytales. we had much loved illustrated books and also audiocasettes i used to play myself in our playroom, which was called "the green room" because of the green paint on the walls. and the fairytales brought me back to la chambre verte, in a flash i felt the same excitment, curiosity, concentration i felt back then. the loving presence of my mother, the intense relationship to my younger sister, the way we used to invent amazing stories and play for days about the same subject, with the same characters.

oh sorry! back to the deck now...
we all know by now Karen's and Alex's passion, professionalism, attention to the details and care for their creations. the latest one won't disappoint you, the cards feel great physically, the set is packed nicely.

the artwork is stunning really, Irena is obviously a genious and i would give almost anything to be in baba studio at times of intense creativity, to witness the birth of what is obviously the most significant team work in the tarot world nowadays. Karen and Alex have a real talent at choosing gifted partners (Anna, Irena among others) and giving them the credit they deserve.

Rachel Pollack says (much better than i of course) that this tarot deck is unique in the sense that it doesn't reproduce the usual scenes of the traditional RWS pack but takes the idea/meaning/feeling of the RWS and associates it with a similar feeling/story found in a fairytale. because there was no tv programmes for most of the history of humanity, fairytales are numerous, representative of every culture yet universal.
one of the cards that comes to my mind because it is the card i watch at first in a deck is Strength. look at the beauty caressing the beast. at first i thought were is the struggle? but if you remember the fairytale... there was so much bitterness, anger in the beast yet the innocence and purity won them, it is what strength is all about, not physical struggle.

elf told me after a reading i did for her that i am not basically a lousy reader but "we need to work on your storytelling" (what a nice way to put it ;) ). watching at the fairytale tarot cards, it doesn't feel like such an horrible assignement.

yes please indeed, let's go to the green room and work on my storytelling.

kissa

Jewel-ry

Wow Kissa!

What a wonderful write up. I could feel intensely what you were feeling and thinking. I don't think there is anything wrong with your story-telling!

J

BlueLotus

I guess I am getting less patient with my deck arriving as it is on its way to me; But I am so excited to read all these posts about how beautiful this deck is .

I have always been a kid at heart and I know deep in that heart that I will love this deck to pieces. I can hardly wait to share my own experience with it.