The Fairytale Tarot: first impressions

Eco74

Considering how in fairytales the most patient one is usually the one who gets the best deal in the end... Does that mean the people on the other side of the pond will be getting More out of the deck than us Europeans?? :eek:

On the subject of artwork though, not knowing too much about particular styles of European artwork from various regions, I do feel very comfortable with the images.
Much like Kissa discribes, they bring back a feeling of old loved fairytale-books and the landscapes are often full of mountains, faraway castles, little rock houses and skylines of forests and hills. Mostly, it's the architecture that brings the 'old feel', I think. The same history of old castles and fortresses built into or on top of mountains or at the nape of a valley is not something that's very common in other regions of the world, outside of central europe.

In the north of europe, there are some stone churces but most are made of wood.
Not sure about the other regions, though the isles off the coast in the west also seem to have a lot of impressive stone buildings, though rather with a coastline nearby than forests and mountains.
And across the pond, one would have to go back to the Inkas to find impressive stone-cities, so a definite lack of medieval castles and towers in that area..

tieduptinkerbell

ooooo

I need this deck!!!!

bell

ArwenNightstar

baba-prague said:
Honestly! What about all those fairytales in which someone has to wait for years and years for something or someone? (and yes, I am grinning here!)

But I must say I relate - we only got 30 copies ourselves originally (the rest had to be shipped by boat straight to the US) and we're still waiting for the next batch - should be early this week we think.

HA! I have a very cool friend who is letting me paypal her and she is using her Visa. WHEEE

LadyMedusa

magpie9 said:
I'd prefer to, it's the probable shipping cost that worries me..how much does it cost to ship 650 grams to New Mexico?? Other times I've had stuff shipped from Europe, it was really expensive.

Magpie9,
I think pretty much anywhere in the US should be close to the same cost since Baba said it's flat rate shipping. To ship to Indiana was $12.90.

LadyMedusa

Kissa

i must admit i have used the cards in total non tarotish way till now. watching through and letting my mind, my memory, my eyes and my heart leading me...

i didn't find any info in the book about the 80th card, the untitled one with gorgeous birds. is there something in the book, baba? is it an old piece of art or something created by baba studio?
anyway, i am passionated by birds, among other animals and this card is simply superb.

yesterday after shuffling the cards for the first time, i decided to work on my story-telling.
i was thinking of a three-card story but my gesture got interrupted after the second card, a little voice inside told me that two is enough.
i got the four of wands and the untitled birds card!

the four of wand features the musicians of bremen: a donkey, a dog, a cock/rooster and a cat. they are on top of a hill watching at a lonely house in the valley. tiny but nice house, alone in the valley among a few trees.
the donkey is surprised, the cock too, the cat smiles and the dog is facing the scene so we cannot see his expression.
why are the animals stopped in their travel like that? what can be in that house that surprises them so much? only the cat is smiling... he seems to know what's in there and it pleases him very much. the dog seems curious (from his body language: head and tail up). the cock looks frightens, he's screaming, the donkey is amazed.

well, of course you've guessed it, in this tiny modest discrete house are the most exotic and rare birds one would ever see...
peacock, tits, colourful creatures with golden and shiny feathers (yet all look real, no fairy birds, i've seen them all in ornithology books). what a noise!
the donkey is surprised at so much unexpected and unheard to his ears till now, moreover coming from this tiny thumberjack's house in the middle of nowhere.
the rooster is jealous of these gorgeous birds whose glorious songs can let him guess how exotic and special they are. he feels threatenend in his position of messenger in the troup.
the dog is curious, like a dog, not frightened or aggressive, he's playful and wants to go closer to see what sounds so interesting.
and the cat? well the cat knows what's in the house... and he smiles at the whole idea...

who would have thought that such a rare and exotic treasure could be found far away from the museums, the palaces?
who would think that the unknown can bring such different reactions to characters who are friends, going together through a very difficult time of their life? can they still remain friends when they walk in the house and discover what is inside? or will the cat go inside alone, inventing something to keep the birds all to himself? will the rooster, threatened by the other birds, go with the cat's plan? can the rooster still trust the cat when he knows what he wants to do with the other birds?
can beauty survive the contact with everyday life?

oh well, i'm sorry to bore you all guys. but i had tremedous fun telling myself this story yesterday. obviously as an animal lover, i couldn't have dreamt a better first contact with this new fairytale tarot of mine.
i now understad what baba said when she told me i could use the deck in a very non-tarot way. i admit i was sceptical, but i should have known she knew better! lol

a fabulous experience!

Kissa

baba-prague

Oh Bravo! Wonderful!

I will say more later - and about the "birds" card (I'm supposed to be somewhere else now and a bit late) but this made me smile hugely. Partly because we did a reading last night, and I read it off in a fairly conventional RWS way - though with some nods to the stories, and Alex thought a bit and said, "Let's do what Rachel suggested and make up a story." and went off on a whole tale. It began with the King of Wands so he started, "Many people are dancing at a ball" - and went on to The World... "But one girl has gone off to be on her own - why?"

and so on - it was just thrilling and we both loved doing it. It that "tarot"? Well, I'm not sure, but yes, I think it is.

We're having a lot of fun with the deck ourselves, now that it's actually in our hands.

Knight of Wands

Woooh!! Have just ordered the Fairy Tale Tarot!!! Should be here within three weeks!! I can't wait!!!

jackdaw*

Just received a gift cert yesterday from Amazon.ca - am using it to buy this deck!!! Can't wait.

baba-prague

The Birds card

Well, if you've read my reply to one of the questions on the new Baroque Bohemian Cats thread you'll know that these extra cards have a way of sneaking in rather than being planned far in advance.

In this case imagine if you will me saying "Oh, I thought we were leaving a blank card?" and Alex saying "No, no, that's really boring and there's something I want to use." The "Birds" card is from a heavenly little book that we bought from our favourite antique books dealer (now there is quite some story about her - but that's for another time!) It's from 1913 and is by Jan Stenc. The whole book is only a few pages and each has a lavish illuminated illustration - nearly all of which include exquisite birds. We just love it and it felt like it "fits" with the deck. So - we made a section of one picture into the extra card.

Now what I didn't expect was for anyone to read with it. I suppose I imagined it being a lovely little bookmark or decoration. I find it surprising - and great - that it HAS been used in readings. So maybe it's about time I put together a short page on this?

You see - these extra cards surprise me every time but I love the way they always sort of get into the deck somehow.

Emeraldgirl

I got a confirmation email !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My set is on it's way :D :D :D :D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!