The Friendship Insight Spread

enchanted_dreams

The Friendship Insight Spread

I designed this spread to give the seeker insight into a particular friendship. It may be used to gather information about the friendship that may have been unseen to the seeker. It can be used after a significant event between two friends, or when things are calm. Is helpful when one wishes to improve relations with their friend.

*Changes made due to a helpful suggestion by rwcarter. Thank you rw!*

------8--------------10
------7---------------9
2------------3---------
------1----------------
4------------5---------
------6----------------

1. How my friend sees me as a person
2. How my friend felt about our friendship before
3. How my friend feels about our friendship now
4. What my friend dislikes about me
5. What my friend likes about me
6. My friends hidden feelings about me
7. What my friend wants from me.
8. What my friend would prefer to happen in our friendship
9. Where our friendship is lacking
10. What I will learn from this friendship

rwcarter

enchanted,

Welcome to Aeclectic!

Very interesting spread. I would flip 6 with 7/8 and 9 with 10. As it currently stands, hidden feelings (6) are actually at the top of the spread, so they're not all that hidden. Also the lack in the friendship seems to take precedence over the lesson from the friendship. 2/3 and 4/5 make sense to be on the same line. But it doesn't make sense to me to have 9 or 10 on the same line as either of the other pairs. I could see 9 relating to either 7 or 8 and the same with 10.

So I would rearrange like this:

------8--------------10
------7---------------9
2------------3---------
------1----------------
4------------5---------
------6----------------

Looking at the columns in the spread can also be instructive. 2/4, 8/7/1/6, 3/5, and 9/10 as groups of cards could also provide some interesting information.

I think the spread would also be useful in looking at one's own relationship to one's friend(s). For example I have this rather difficult friend R. I think it would be insightful to use the spread from his perspective towards me and then to use it from my perspective towards him.

Great job!

Rodney

enchanted_dreams

Hi rwcarter!

Those are excellent suggestions!! I will make those changes...Thank you for sharing the wisdom! Thank you!

rwcarter

You're welcome. Please post more spreads as you create them. I love to see what folks come up with. :)

.traveller.

I have a somewhat silly question. Is it somewhat expected to see a contradiction between positions 7&8, especially if one is reading on a troubled friendship?

rwcarter

.traveller. said:
I have a somewhat silly question. Is it somewhat expected to see a contradiction between positions 7&8, especially if one is reading on a troubled friendship?
It's not my spread, but from how I read those positions, I'd say not necessarily.

7. What my friend wants from me.
8. What my friend would prefer to happen in our friendship

There might be a congruence or repetition in the two answers in a case where one friend harbors romantic inclinations toward the other friend. In the case of a troubled friendship, there might be a contradiction if the friend doesn't know what they want or if there's a difference between their words and actions, for instance. In the case of a friend with a drug or alcohol problem that they're in denial about, one position might show that they want you to butt out of their life while the other position shows that deep down they really do want your help but can't bring themselves to ask for it.

Rodney

WolfyJames

Thank you for this spread :), I was just looking for one like this one. I used it a few hours ago and it was dead on.

enchanted_dreams

Hi wolfyJames!

I am so happy to hear that! I am glad it could help.

Wingéd Mermaid

Great spread!
I've put this one in my tarot 'book' ;)

rwcarter

I'm in the process of doing this spread for insight on a friend using both the Universal Tarot and Tarot of the New Vision (as discussed in this thread). When I got to position 10, something struck me. The first 9 positions are from the perspective of the friend. So it seems a little strange that position 10 switches to the Querent's perspective. It makes more sense to me that what is learned from the friendship should be from the friend's perspective. When I examine the friendship from my perspective, position 10 should show what I'll learn from the friendship. So that's how I'm going to interpret that position - based on the focus of the first 9 cards.

Rodney