The Horae Masquerading as Virtues.

Rosanne

I would like to propose that in early decks that were unnamed and unnumbered, the 3 cards that are take to be Cardinal Virtues (Justice/ Strength:Force/ Temperance) were actually a different concept altogether. I propose they were the second Hierarchy Horae - the Goddesses controlling orderly life. They maintained the stability of society.

Dike : Greek for Justice- moral Justice, not Divine Justice who was Themis
and can perhaps be seen in Judgement. Dike was placed on Earth to keep mankind Just.

Eunomia: Greek for good order/governance and discipline and meant in terms of Law and Legislation. Early depictions show her as the Goddess of good pasture and as female pouring water from one jug to another.

Eirene: Greek for Peace/ Roman word Pax. She was often shown in Greek depictions as having a cornucopia/ baby/Torch, but in Roman times in Italy was shown with a subdued lion. The symbol of Rome was a Lion- it is often forgotten, but not only as a wolf (Lupus) suckling Romulus and Remus.
Here is a typical image of Peace/Pax/Eirene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_(mythology)

In the Minchiate these three cards are shown as a group 6/7/8 and Prudence is higher numbered in another group (17) with Charity/Faith etc.
In other decks like Tarocco Bolognese and Sicilano these three cards are grouped together 5/6/7/ and 7/8/9. In the Marseille they are Justice at 8, Strength at 11 and Temperance at 14. The Visconti is unumbered or named but as Cardinal Virtues there still only appears to be 3 out the 4 (Prudence is not there).

It seems odd to me that one cannot mistake these three cards, and if they were Virtues the Lynch pin of Wisdom/Prudence is missing. There are many threads about missing Prudence and the search for her. In the sermons that rank the cards from the Renaissance it seems that generally Temperance was at 6, Fortitude at 9 and Justice at 20. This seems in keeping with the mistaken view that Justice is Themis not Dike. I suggest that Judgement is iconically Themis = Divine Justice, and the card with scales and sword is Dike - one of the three Horae. Western tradition has 4 Virtues and would always be together- so if Tarot was showing them Prudence would be as clear as the other three.

Now why would Tarot show the Horae?
I think in the TdM the reason was the Political situation and the hundred year War- the conflict for the French Throne and the Peace that lasted for 26 years right at the time of Tarot's birth. The sequence of images that arose in Italy could depict the French situation admirably with a few changes- like the King driving the Chariot- would be one example. As in Italy the country was moving from Medieval to City states and dynastic conflict was that Church and King was feudal and not helping the common man at all. Commerce was the leader. Good government was imperative both in State and Church. Years later, I think this concept of the Horae was forgotten and the cards were named as they obviously appeared- and Prudence was never there in the first place. The cards seem to show what is called Pax Romana or Pax Augustus the search for Peace and stability for the people in a time a crazy royal and church power. Peace brings wealth to the people... and after all gives Joe Citizen time to play cards. :wink:
In the Mitelli deck (a Greek myth Deck) there is one card that is taken for Strength. The Goddess stands next to a broken pillar. A broken pillar is often seen in Cemeteries as a sign of mortality and that the occupant is now at Peace. A broken pillar is also a symbol of instability- Bring Peace to the table and you have stability.
So Strength/Force was once upon a time Peace- The Greek Eirene and the Roman Pax. One of the three Horae.
Have I convinced You?
~Rosanne

Bernice

Rosanne, as per usual you've more than half-way convinced me :).

Not that I'm a history-buff with dates & details at my finger-tips, but I have always suspected that the TdM cards encompass (and reflect) the social conditions of time & place. I'd love them to be a secretly encoded spiritual 'message', but if there is any spiritual content it's most likely to be commonly held opinons of that period of time. Which may, or may not have a continuing validity.
This is not to say that depth of meaning cannot be found in the cards, mankind can find truth and magic in anything/everything.

Beautiful piece of detective work.

Bee

Rosanne

Well I guess there is two ways to look at this...
Other than Bernice, there has been over 50 views to this thread that have not commented.
So...everyone agrees?
everyone disagrees?
Maybe no one thinks it important either way?

If I am right- then when reading or even studying the cards, this may be a reason to look at the sequence in a different way- not a Fool's Journey- not a fall of Princes- not a triumph Parade- not a Mirror of Princes- but a depiction of Good and Bad Government and how the same principles could be applied to the way you play cards, and the underlying principle that one not be the outcast of Fortune, but with Good Governance you could might turn the wheel in your favour.

"Fortune lives a dainty life; to her the wretched pays his court and homage to win her smile; likewise the prosperous man extols, for fear the favouring gale may leave him" (Euripides)

It is also said if you exclude Good Governance from your life (and in cards) you are fated to shorten your own good Fortune.

My School Motto Act well your part, for there all Honour lies

~Rosanne

Tarotphelia

Rosanne said:
I would like to propose that in early decks that were unnamed and unnumbered, the 3 cards that are take to be Cardinal Virtues (Justice/ Strength:Force/ Temperance) were actually a different concept altogether. I propose they were the second Hierarchy Horae - the Goddesses controlling orderly life. They maintained the stability of society.

Dike : Greek for Justice- moral Justice, not Divine Justice who was Themis
and can perhaps be seen in Judgement. Dike was placed on Earth to keep mankind Just.

Eunomia: Greek for good order/governance and discipline and meant in terms of Law and Legislation. Early depictions show her as the Goddess of good pasture and as female pouring water from one jug to another.

Eirene: Greek for Peace/ Roman word Pax. She was often shown in Greek depictions as having a cornucopia/ baby/Torch, but in Roman times in Italy was shown with a subdued lion. The symbol of Rome was a Lion- it is often forgotten, but not only as a wolf (Lupus) suckling Romulus and Remus.
Here is a typical image of Peace/Pax/Eirene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_(mythology)

What took you so long ? :cool2:

The old gods and goddesses have been in the tarot all along . But , I can't agree with your particular reason why you think they were put in there . Though I cannot disprove it either .

As for 50 views and no comments - isn't that typical for something that people possibly don't want to hear or accept ? Such as something that contradicts the popular view ?

Rosanne

Dark Inquisitor said:
What took you so long ?

Hehehe DI !! Well if I had seen it anywhere else- written down, it may not have taken soooooooo long.
Been looking for Prudence all these years....and taking Strength to mean Strength not Peace- makes a difference somehow.
~Rosanne

Tarotphelia

Hmm- maybe we only see when we are ready to see .. :angel:

Bernice

And so DI - are you implying that you knew all the time, and kept it to yourself!! You've been browsing YEARS of postings about the TdM structure and been sniggering gleefully to yourself in your darkened palour.....?

Shame on you! May heaps of bird-crap descend upon your most prized possessions (and your head)!

Rosanne:
Hundreds of people have written about the TdM (including a lot of BS), and hundreds of others have paid them hard cash in order to read it. I think it's time for someone to burst the airy-fairy bubble and Say It Like It Is. And I think you might be that person....
If you write a book - I'll buy it! And I bet a lot of 'thinking' people will as well.

Bee :) :) :)

Rosanne

Hi Bee- that is very flattering! I think DI was being droll- after all I have been rabbiting on about Tarot for years its seems.

It is funny how when we read the Cards we spend time looking at the images - attempting to work out what they are saying- so we can pass the message on.
Yet when we try and decipher what this group of 22 means we seem to be stumped. I have always asked myself "Why this group of images, why not straight astrological maybe, clear and unequivocal series of images- what is the most logical explanation for a card game?"
What is this bridge that takes this group for a card game, yet is used esoterically and sits comfortably in both aspects? Well it finally seems to me that that the 22 must reflect something that is common to both a game and life.
Maybe that concept is Sportmanship It may be defined as respectful and ethical behavior in sports/Games. It may also be defined as good citizenship.

Sportsmanship is about character, values, personal responsibility, learning how to win and how to lose graciously, and how to control frustration and anger. How to win honourably. How to change your Luck/Fortune. Is not that the reason we read cards also? How to win at life, maybe be a little forewarned about it at the same time. A metaphysical peep at the oppositions cards?
This is of course different from Gamesmanship! I at least sometimes try to practice winning at life by questionable means, without breaking the rules- but I know I am violating the spirit of the game of life, even though it is an ethically dubious method to gain an objective. I am always taught by life in one way or another that good citizenship is a better option. Same with playing cards.
So Good and bad government seems an eminently suitable subject for cards.
Hooray for the Horae!
~Rosanne

Rosanne

Themis with Zeus had 6 daughters and they were called Star maidens sometimes. Dike/Astrea who is Moral Justice and Diacerro wrote about three of them would bring immortality to the Medici.
The first of these sisters (Dike /Astrea) spoke thus to the Medici, "I will deliver to you the Sword and you will lead our Quadrigga; you alone are worthy of this sword: with it you will touch the stars, by it your name will live in Eternity

Old Poets that were translated in the Renaissance said the 3 sisters left the bloodstained Earth in the Iron Age. Dike was last to leave Earth and left Chaos in her place. These 6 sisters (and the 3 half sisters the seasons) were considered the Divine Ark of a Human life.
The other 3 sisters of Dike/Eunomia/Eirene were the Moirae.
These sisters were called Fates.
Atropos was the inevitable.
Clotho was the Weaver of the fabric of life
Lachesis was the lot caster.
In the Visconti decks who we call Temperance is winged. Why not the the other two? Dike as moral Justice is often seen winged and if you look at the TdM it seems that maybe Justice is winged, but it has become a throne. The Cardinal Virtues depicted do not seemed to be winged- except Hope.
Winged abstract concepts shown as deities had shed their wings by Renaissance times. There are exceptions of course. Celestial forces still had wings like Victory and Hope and Goddess Iris of the Rainbow fame. It is maybe why RWS shows Temperance with wings and an Iris flower. In a general sense Wings meant a messenger for Christian concepts.
So for me wings on Temperance, seem to indicate it is not a Virtue- but something else. Eunomia is also seen as the Goddess of Good Pasture a late Summer/early Spring Deity and as I have said before 'Order/Discipline/Good Governance.'
Who had wings in Western culture?- well when it was Christianised Angels did of course- but Graeco-Roman depictions were the Winds (who were male) and the Seasons(who were female)- Time was winged as was Night, Day, Dawn and Sunset. Often the volatile nature of things was winged like Hermes as Mercury. Swiftness was sometimes winged as was the concept of Vigilence, but as far as I can tell Virtues were not winged.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

I found this and although it holds quite the opposite view to me- it is interesting and possibly valid. There are a couple of things I disagree with- for example the Cary Yale Visconti does show Temperance with wings. I also feel that what is thrones in the TdM is wings i.e Justice not a throne.
The Bible depicted in the article is the only place I have seen Virtues- all three, showing wings and halos; that is Angelic Virtues. I find it interesting that again we have three out four Cardinal Virtues depicted- and Prudence/Wisdom once again is missing, and wonder if here also the background myth of the Horae is transformed into Christian meaning.

http://www.tarotstudies.com/newsletters/news20.html

Very interesting anyway.
~Rosanne