The importance of choice in a reading -

grogman

I've only been doing this for around six months and I am still working on my technique, but wanted to know if anyone allows the querent to choose from one deck from among multiple decks and then also allow them to select the spread most appropriate to the nature of their question?

KMilliron

grogman said:
I've only been doing this for around six months and I am still working on my technique, but wanted to know if anyone allows the querent to choose from one deck from among multiple decks and then also allow them to select the spread most appropriate to the nature of their question?
I used to do daily readings for my friends, and I gave them a choice. They really didn't care much which I used. If I were to do it professionally I'd still give them a choice, but personally since everyone seems indifferent about it I just use one of my two favorite decks. Either whichever is closer or which one just feels right at the time.

Milfoil

I don't mind which deck they choose from but the spread I sort of tend to choose myself depending on how the whole thing feels.

KMilliron

Didn't notice you asked about spreads too. I usually choose those. Plus most people asking for readings (that I have worked with anyway) don't just know spreads off of the top of their heads.

aranarose

For online or phone readings, I choose the deck. It's just easier. For in person readings, I take a few of my decks and let them choose which one to use. I always choose the spread, using either one of my standards, or making one up to fit the question.

Chronata

For the most part, my readings are at public events, where I am giving someone their first taste of tarot. There was a time I tried offering options on deck or spreads...and there was a unviversal confusion among my clients...who ,not knowing a thing about what I was doing, trusted me to make those decisions for them.

And I have come to rely on my own intuition to tell me when to choose a different deck from the norm, or throw the cards a different way than usual.

It just comes automatically now.

On the other hand,I know a fabulous oracle reader who reads from Doreen Virtue decks, and has the client choose one of four. She says some respond to messages differently if they are given by Goddesses, say...instead of Fairies. (Even though they may all give the same message!)

Apollonia

At the shop where I read, I ask my querent to choose between just two decks. In my experience, more than two gives the deck choice too much emphasis, when the querent's question and the information received should be the real focus.

I always choose the spread. I've found most querents aren't interested in the mechanics of how the reading is done, they just want a good reading that focuses on them, maximizes useful information, and minimizes wasted time.

I only probably use about three spreads anyway, along with the all-important "no spread at all" and "I just made it up this second" spread.

KMilliron

Apollonia said:
I only probably use about three spreads anyway, along with the all-important "no spread at all" and "I just made it up this second" spread.

"I just made it up this second" is one of my favorite and most used ones. Do you tell peopel you just ade it up? I usually do.

Apollonia

KMilliron said:
"I just made it up this second" is one of my favorite and most used ones. Do you tell peopel you just ade it up? I usually do.
For sure, I tell them! I usually say, "Okay, it looks as though what we want to ask is..." and go from there.

magpie9

I usually give a choice of a few decks that are in bags, so they can't choose by the deck's looks. I always choose the spread. When you consider that most people have to work hard to frame a question, how are they going to choose a spread, even if they wanted to?