The Lover's Path Tarot Study Group

Alice

My set is also the Limited Edition, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who likes the mythology used for the cards, I have been looking for books that could give me more detail but so far have found nothing I can afford.

Sophie-David

The Lover's Path Index

irisa said:
Sophie-David... lol yes I did read that thread too. You do see the link to the Legend seven of swords now though don't you?

>Inspiration. Enthusiasm.
>A new direction and purpose.
>The beginning of a new enterprise.
Oh, yes Irisa, only too well. First the Connolly and now the Lover's Path :eek:.

alice said:
My set is also the Limited Edition, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who likes the mythology used for the cards, I have been looking for books that could give me more detail but so far have found nothing I can afford.
Kris is coming out with The Lover's Path novel later this year, so we'll all have to get that too! ;)

The Lover's Path Index is now available and Sulis has linked to it from the Index of Study Groups, so we're all set.

Cheers
David

irisa

Originally posted by Alice
I have been looking for books that could give me more detail but so far have found nothing I can afford.

Until the novel comes out that'll be a must... but until then.... I bought something inexpensive recently you might be interested in Alice as well as TD (tarot disease) I also think I may have BD (book disease). :)

The Mythic Journey - The Meaning of Myth as a Guide for Life by Liz Greene and Juliet Sharman Burke

Amazon Marketplace (UK) have a new copy for £5.15
Link to it on Amazon - http://tinyurl.com/3sjfk

Extract from the cover: "The Mythic Jourey explores the psychological themes of many mythical traditions more than 50 myths are beautifully retold and each is followed by an overview explaining the application of the story in everyday lives"

It's also beautifully illustrated. The myths are wide ranging Greek, Roman, Norse Celtic etc.... it's interesting and an easy read nice to pick up when you only have a few minutes.

And I had confirmation yesterday... that my Lovers Path has shipped so by the end of the week! it will be mine :)

irisa

irisa

Sophie-David...

I just came across a review of the Lovers Path at:
http://www.tarotpassages.com/Pages2/LoversPath.htm

Also there is a table of the Major Arcana with the corresponding Lovers Path name and also the myth depicted.

Would this be a good thing to incorporate into the group somewhere.

No doubt it's all in the book which I don't have yet so I don't know!!! but when I've been searching the forums about decks the more information I can find the better.

Just a thought.... :)

irisa

Sophie-David

Resources for the Lover's Path

irisa said:
I just came across a review of the Lovers Path at:
http://www.tarotpassages.com/Pages2/LoversPath.htm

Also there is a table of the Major Arcana with the corresponding Lovers Path name and also the myth depicted.

Would this be a good thing to incorporate into the group somewhere.
Hi Irisa

Thank you, I just added the link to The Lover's Path Index. I had found the review before but wasn't sure if it was OK to link to a competitive Tarot site, but the restriction in the ATF FAQ just refers to linking to competitive Tarot forums.

The book by Liz Greene and Juliet Sharman Burke sounds like it would be good. One of Kris Walherr's books on goddesses might also be useful.

For general information on the lover's journey, I have found John Ryan Haule's website very helpful, particularly his complete online book Divine Madness: Archetypes of Romantic Love which discusses several of the couples presented in The Lover's Path. Among many fascinating themes, Divine Madness explores the love potion, the naked sword of separation, the transformative power of longing, the demon lover, the soul's wound, and what happens after one discovers the Inner Beloved and withdraws the projection. As you can imagine, I'm a big fan. Dr. Haule is a Jungian clinician, lecturer, published author, visual artist and shaman.

Blessings
David

irisa

Thank you for the links Sophie-David

John Ryan Haule's website looks interesting and I think I shall have to invest in one of Kris Walherr's books. I have the Goddess Tarot in my "collection" I've not used it... so far... but one day... who knows... :)

The Greene/Sharman-Burke is an interesting general book rather than of specific use re: The Lovers Path.

irisa

darwinia

Heloise Calls

I will be buying this deck eventually and I also discovered there is a new book out on Heloise and Abelard (they are depicted on the Hermit or Contemplation card) called:

Heloise & Abelard : A New Biography
by James Burge
Publisher: HarperSanFrancisco (December 1, 2004)
ISBN: 0060736631

From amazon.com:
"More tantalizingly, we know of the affair only from eight surviving letters between the couple. But British Sunday Independent columnist Burge draws on 113 recently translated letters that have been attributed to the lovers."

Whether are not they are **really** their letters is another thing, but one tries to keep up with new data.

Having just finished a reread of Dante's Inferno (and currently enjoying the realm of Purgatorio) I was interested to see Paolo and Francesca burning on the Devil or Temptation card. This card alone makes the deck a must buy for me.

David, I have been enjoying your comprehensive comments on the cards and stories. I come here to the forum rarely but I liked your study on Innocence.

I'll have a look at the Divine Madness book, as I'm interested in stories and mythology generally. I have found Jungians to be rather uneven in their approach to rationality. <g>

Sophie-David

darwinia said:
I will be buying this deck eventually and I also discovered there is a new book out on Heloise and Abelard...Whether are not they are **really** their letters is another thing, but one tries to keep up with new data.
I understand there was a movie out recently on Heloise and Abelard, not a particularly realistic one, so I suppose that has generated a market for book sales.

darwinia said:
Having just finished a reread of Dante's Inferno (and currently enjoying the realm of Purgatorio) I was interested to see Paolo and Francesca burning on the Devil or Temptation card. This card alone makes the deck a must buy for me.
Oh dear, another victim of Tarot Disease - you'll being blaming me for being infectious too. :D Yes, I must read Dante's work, there's lot's there that applies to the theme of the Inner Beloved. Yet another book in the reading list <sigh> Of course you are very welcome to join in the study group at any time.

darwinia said:
David, I have been enjoying your comprehensive comments on the cards and stories. I come here to the forum rarely but I liked your study on Innocence.
Thank you. You <Ahem> may be interested in my web site also...

darwinia said:
I'll have a look at the Divine Madness book, as I'm interested in stories and mythology generally. I have found Jungians to be rather uneven in their approach to rationality. <g>
:D Ha ha! I suppose rationality is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. I found Haule's work very rational, although certainly not perfect, but I'm not so sure I know what rationality is anymore, the boundaries seem to be changing daily. :)

Cheers
David

MoonMaiden

Oh the Lover's Path cards are gorgeous! I've been looking for something like them and I'm so glad you've shown the way. :)

Until I can get a deck I'll enjoy your entries. Thanks, again. I was beginning to think there wasn't another deck that really spoke to my soul. I had most recently gotten the Waldherr Goddess Tarot, but these are even more sumptuous. Yippee!!!

darwinia

Sophie-David said:
Oh dear, another victim of Tarot Disease - you'll being blaming me for being infectious too.

Not at all, I don't consider it an infection, disease or addiction. I have about 80 decks of cards, not just tarot, and they are a joyful gateway to creativity for me. BTW I like your page on Healing Art.

I am never embarrassed or ashamed of collecting cards or discussing them, nor would I feel a need to blame your delightful enthusiasm for my desire for the deck. It means something to me because it means something to me, I don't consider it a fault in any case.

I'm not so sure I know what rationality is anymore, the boundaries seem to be changing daily.

I suppose I like to read different things but I don't care to adhere to credo whether it comes from a wizard or a psychologist. I find people constraining in the extreme, especially in groups. My rationality finds Jungian archetypes constraining, although interesting, and psychological theory constraining, although interesting, and political and mystical theories both severely constraining and uninteresting, and Dr. Phil absolutely abhorrant and not at all pertinent to my intellect or relevant in any way to anyone rational.

But the Lover's Path Tarot is interesting. Yeah, I can go for that.

I always liked that Papageno song from The Magic Flute, but danged if I could ever get what the story was about. No wonder, it's actually two stories sort of smushed together. See, this deck has lots of vibrantly wonderful information to impart through study.

There was also a romance book about Heloise and Abelard called "Stealing Heaven" (which is probably where they got the movie idea from.)

Oh, and David, my memory of the Lion's Gate Bridge is of a dark night in summer 1975 when the bridge was all lit up in the rain and David Bowie's song "Fame" was on the radio.

Magic.