The mental state of the reader

Michael Sternbach

Hello Aeclectic Tarot readers,

I'm wondering, how do you prepare yourself for readings? Do you meditate or have any kind of ritual to reach a perceptive state of mind? I think, the reader's mental state influences not only their interpretation but, to a degree, even what cards are being drawn. Regarding the latter, if the querent is present, do you let them draw their cards by themselves? If so, do you somehow try to induce a receptive state in them as well?

Michael

Bonny

Michael, this is an excellent question. I've found the same things. To me, it is essential to pray before drawing cards. This is to get 'stuff' out the way. Stuff is mental energy that just hangs around. It has no meaning.
Prayer makes it another spiritual practice in a day.
One of my teachers holds that Light energy is contagious.
A querent osmotically can ask from clearer space if the reader is in good space.
I believe what we give we get so because I operate like this I trust I draw others who do something similar. If they don't I can usually tell because of the nonsense in the reading...

I hope this helps . Thanks for sharing ! God bless

spinnachie

I believe the mental state of the reader is a massive influence, not only on the cards that have been shuffled, but also in the way the reader interprets the cards. I find that if I an in a sad mood, and do a reading, no matter what cards come up I always see them as negative and I always end up putting a negative spin on the reading. Now that I know this about myself I always make sure that I am completely grounded when reading for a client, and if after meditation I still feel off, I don't read.

Chimera Dust

I try to avoid doing readings when I'm going through noticeably (as in, that I can notice very clearly) strong emotions. Mostly when they're negative emotions but sometimes when they're positive as well. I don't read when I'm tired or having trouble focusing for some reason, either.

I don't do anything special, otherwise. When I start reading it's just like I can focus on what's in front of me because it really draws my attention and distracts me from the world outside. I try to think of what I want to ask when I shuffle, and take my sweet time shuffling if I'm having a hard time focusing, but that's for no special reason other than reminding me that instead of noticing random thoughts about other subjects I should instead pay attention to the reading that I'm about to do.

Grizabella

I just read the cards. I'm not very frou-frou about them. I guess since my whole path is spiritual, I just don't feel the need to single the cards out in any way. They're just a part of my life like putting on my shoes or something mundane like that.I'm not saying the cards or the use of them is mundane----I'm just saying they're such a deeply ingrained part of my life that I just read them.

Rosewater

I just read the cards. I'm not very frou-frou about them. I guess since my whole path is spiritual, I just don't feel the need to single the cards out in any way. They're just a part of my life like putting on my shoes or something mundane like that.I'm not saying the cards or the use of them is mundane----I'm just saying they're such a deeply ingrained part of my life that I just read them.

I'd love to be as grounded as you are, Grizabella, it is my aim. Before readings I simply try to put my own state of mind (whatever that is at the time) aside, and just focus on the needs of the person I'm reading for and what the cards say for them.

sladie

I have several mood disorders/illnesses where my mental health isn't the greatest - so I always make sure I've taken my medications in the morning and earlier than usual in the evening when I go out to do readings. I listen to a guided meditation to ground myself and prepare for an evening of readings.

I read in a very BUSY venue, with a lot of people around. I stay in the lobby, but in a corner where it's less distracting where I'm easily seen but not heard. It's tough, it can be loud, people are moving around, and there's sometimes incredibly loud music. People like where I've set up though, I get a lot of foot traffic, and people are very patient with me when things get hectic. It's not the best set up, we're still figuring out the kinks, but it's working for me.

Even with my social and general anxiety, focusing on the cards, on the person in front of me, and understanding what's being said is what's important. There could be a tuba in front of me, and as long as I can still communicate with the querent, I can do my job.

It works for me, just focus on the task at hand and be calm, centered, open minded, and there's nothing you can't do :)

nisaba

I'm wondering, how do you prepare yourself for readings? Do you meditate or have any kind of ritual to reach a perceptive state of mind? I think, the reader's mental state influences not only their interpretation but, to a degree, even what cards are being drawn. Regarding the latter, if the querent is present, do you let them draw their cards by themselves? If so, do you somehow try to induce a receptive state in them as well?

Michael

I sit down and shuffle the deck. Yes, it's as easy as that. I don't meditate to make me a better driver or cook, either.

If I'm particularly angry or upset, I won't either drive or do readings. That's just safety-first.

zhadee

For me, the cards are valued members of my family. Asking them is like asking an elderly beloved aunt or uncle with experience and knowledge. They enable me access to wisdom and lore bigger than mine.

I take the cards and shuffle with an empty mind, focusing on my hands. When picking a card, I focus on the question. There is rarely a querent in person sitting in front of me, but when there is one, they want to touch, shuffle and choose their cards.

SunChariot

Michael

I do, in fact. meditate first it needed. I find I need to be in a meditative state of mind to read well. It won't work well if I am not there.

Sometimes I am calm enough inside at the start, but if not then I need that meditation. It's on an "as needed" basis.

For some reason though having a lit scented candle next to me helps too.

I would agree with you that the state of mind of the reader affects the reading. Personally I don't believe that it affects which cards come up, but different mind states could cause they to read the same cards differently.

Perhaps harder to affect, the actual life views and beliefs of the reader affect the reading. Their views on reality. Naturally enough, readers don't tend to see things in readings that they do not personally believe are possible to give advice that makes no sense at all to them.

If, just as an example, presuming reincarnation is real and exists...
if the best and most helpful answer to the querent talks about reincarnation and the reader firmly does not believe it exists, they are not likely to see that as the answer or tell it to the querent....even if that is the answer the cards want that querent to have.

Or if the intended answer from the cards is for the querent (for another example) is to now let go of struggling and just go with the flow and life will take good care of them as it always does...and the reader is someone who believes the nature of life is struggle ...if you know what I mean, they are not as likely to give that answer as freely or openly (if at all) as it feels too untrue to their beliefs.

Babs