The mental state of the reader

SunChariot

I try to avoid doing readings when I'm going through noticeably (as in, that I can notice very clearly) strong emotions. Mostly when they're negative emotions but sometimes when they're positive as well. I don't read when I'm tired or having trouble focusing for some reason, either.

Very much this too.

Babs

Bookwight

This is a fascinating question, Michael.

First I have to say that I don't read for other people (yet), only for myself. But I don't do anything in particular to prepare for a reading. Mainly, I just shuffle. I sit with the cards and shuffle them, and think about my question and shuffle them some more, and maybe shuffle them some more until I feel like it's time to stop. That in itself may qualify as a form of meditation, now I think about it… But I wouldn't call it a set ritual, because sometimes I don't feel any need to shuffle for long before I start setting down the cards. I just go with what feels right.

However, indulging one's own moods would not be an option when reading for other people, I'm sure!

SunChariot

This is a fascinating question, Michael.

First I have to say that I don't read for other people (yet), only for myself. But I don't do anything in particular to prepare for a reading. Mainly, I just shuffle. I sit with the cards and shuffle them, and think about my question and shuffle them some more, and maybe shuffle them some more until I feel like it's time to stop. That in itself may qualify as a form of meditation, now I think about it… But I wouldn't call it a set ritual, because sometimes I don't feel any need to shuffle for long before I start setting down the cards. I just go with what feels right.

However, indulging one's own moods would not be an option when reading for other people, I'm sure!

I would say shuffling in that way IS meditative, as it clears your mind of all other thoughts. Which is in effect what meditation is.

Also wanted to add in that while "indulging one's moods" might not be an option while reading for others, following your intuition as a reader is always a good idea. Following what feels right to you inside on how long to shuffle is more following your intuition than indulging a mood.

Indulging a mood might be getting up in the middle of a reading and walking out of the room with no warning...as you just are no longer in the mood to read. That is not a good thing obviously.

But if you feel one day the need to shuffle a bit longer, that is not a mood. That is your intuition telling you that you need to do that. Maybe you might be picking up that the cards are not yet in their proper places for the right cards to come up. That is intuition, a very different thing. Imo, intuition should always be respected and followed in Tarot. Those feelings are there for a good reason. Always go with what feels right to you in that way. Even if that varies from time to time. Follow that feeling.

Babs

PeterSeph

I do feel the need to shuffle the cards for a while and ask the Universe for guidance within before I do a reading for others. When I read for myself I only ask or talk to the deck. But whatever the situation, I always have to ask before I use my cards. Maybe I could read just as well without asking, but it just feels wrong to me. So I do have this little ritual, nothing special really, it's just to activate that switch in my mind that says "It begins.", so I know I am in the right frame of mind. Then I ask the questions and read on ;)

Bookwight

I would say shuffling in that way IS meditative, as it clears your mind of all other thoughts. Which is in effect what meditation is.

Also wanted to add in that while "indulging one's moods" might not be an option while reading for others, following your intuition as a reader is always a good idea. Following what feels right to you inside on how long to shuffle is more following your intuition than indulging a mood.

Indulging a mood might be getting up in the middle of a reading and walking out of the room with no warning...as you just are no longer in the mood to read. That is not a good thing obviously.

But if you feel one day the need to shuffle a bit longer, that is not a mood. That is your intuition telling you that you need to do that. Maybe you might be picking up that the cards are not yet in their proper places for the right cards to come up. That is intuition, a very different thing. Imo, intuition should always be respected and followed in Tarot. Those feelings are there for a good reason. Always go with what feels right to you in that way. Even if that varies from time to time. Follow that feeling.

Babs

This is very helpful, SunChariot, thank you!

First, I have to say I was half-joking when I talked about indulging moods, because a sudden image popped into my head of a reader shuffling so long that the querent started to drum their fingers and look annoyed! :joke:

But I was only HALF-joking because I do indeed struggle with how and when to trust my intuition. I don’t always know when I’m trusting my inner voice or just being self-indulgent or something. I saw this video recently about the difference between intuition and paranoia, and — to paraphrase — she says that your intuition will tend to empower you and guide you towards positive action, while paranoia will tend to make you feel insecure and either paralyse action or lead you to destructive actions.

So… building on that plus your very helpful words… I think the difference between intuition and mood might be that intuition will feel strong and centred and will improve a reading, and help you make decisions about, say, what this card means in this reading, or when to stop shuffling, and so on. By contrast, a mood (or self-indulgence or whatever) will tend to slow down or even interrupt a reading, and make you doubt when to stop shuffling, or how to interpret a card. A mood will interrupt the flow. Intuition will add to the flow…

I’m just thinking out loud, here. I will, as you say, “follow that feeling,” and do my meditative shuffling with a little more self-respect, if you know what I mean. :love: The more I do so, the more I’ll recognise my intuition, and the stronger it’ll become, I hope. I think that’s why so many readers do indeed have rituals to start readings, to help awaken their intuition… which is of course what Michael was asking about in the first place. :laugh:

Yarrow

Sometimes I find a few minute nap is a good way to clear my mind of anything. Now that I read on the radio, I really have to be ready to go. I sometimes think of naps as super-concentrated meditation. Or maybe meditation is a real light nap?!

In any case, I do find it easiest when my head is clear to read. And I do think that too much clutter makes it hard to find the story in the cards.

Yarrow

Michael Sternbach

Hello everybody and Happy New Year!

Great responses so far, thanks to you all. (No, I'm NOT trying to close the thread, keep going please!)

I'm also slightly surprised; nobody bowing three times to Buddha, smoking a joint or doing the Five Tibetans before a reading? :bugeyed:

Actually, I don't do any of this myself, although I light a candle and/or an incense stick when I feel like it. Then I simply shuffle the cards for awhile and usually fan them out, unless my table is too crowded to do so. As I am doing this, I don't focus on the question any longer, as this might lead to mental tension; instead, once I have clearly stated my intention, I trust that my unconscious takes care of the query all by itself.

I, too, usually only do readings when I'm well rested and have enough time to do it relaxedly.

Sometimes I find a few minute nap is a good way to clear my mind of anything. Now that I read on the radio, I really have to be ready to go. I sometimes think of naps as super-concentrated meditation. Or maybe meditation is a real light nap?!

In any case, I do find it easiest when my head is clear to read. And I do think that too much clutter makes it hard to find the story in the cards.

Yarrow

Here is a unique one; taking a nap prior to a reading hasn't occurred to me until now. Although it does make sense to me (in line with what I said about feeling fresh above). I do contemplate doing Israel Regardie's Middle Pillar exercise, though, as it greatly gets my juices flowing.

Michael

jillkite

As i shuffle i set the intention for the reading, to do this i consciously say to myself:

i ask to be connected with the highest level of consciousness of the tarot.
i ask for this reading to bring peace, healing, clarity and understanding, a higher perspecitive to shine a light on the way ahead.
i ask to be a clear channel for the cards, to give the messages that they wish me to give.

saying this 'prayer' (if you like) centres me, clears my third eye, and puts me in the space. i have been using it for over 12 years. it doesn't take time and can be done while shuffling with the sitter there. if i have time i will also shuffle the cards before the sitter comes to feel more connected in advance. the last couple of years i have started to say this out loud in front of the sitter so they understand where i am coming from.

the first line 'highest consciousness of the tarot' recognises that tarot cards are just a tool, that are used for all kinds of purposes, some 'higher' some 'lower' (IMO). as stated, i want to be connected with the highest level of consciousness that the tarot represents.

the second line clarifies the purpose that i am reading for.

the third line is a reminder to surrender to the cards. i am there as a tarot reader, not to deliver my personal opinions.

'intention is everything'...

another interesting question is what do people do after a reading, to reground, to come out of that energy.
that would be another thread methinks :)

Bonny

As i shuffle i set the intention for the reading, to do this i consciously say to myself:

i ask to be connected with the highest level of consciousness of the tarot.
i ask for this reading to bring peace, healing, clarity and understanding, a higher perspecitive to shine a light on the way ahead.
i ask to be a clear channel for the cards, to give the messages that they wish me to give.

saying this 'prayer' (if you like) centres me, clears my third eye, and puts me in the space. i have been using it for over 12 years. it doesn't take time and can be done while shuffling with the sitter there. if i have time i will also shuffle the cards before the sitter comes to feel more connected in advance. the last couple of years i have started to say this out loud in front of the sitter so they understand where i am coming from.

the first line 'highest consciousness of the tarot' recognises that tarot cards are just a tool, that are used for all kinds of purposes, some 'higher' some 'lower' (IMO). as stated, i want to be connected with the highest level of consciousness that the tarot represents.

the second line clarifies the purpose that i am reading for.

the third line is a reminder to surrender to the cards. i am there as a tarot reader, not to deliver my personal opinions.

'intention is everything'...

another interesting question is what do people do after a reading, to reground, to come out of that energy.
that would be another thread methinks :)

Big thumbs up to this!!!

Relevant and practical and best practice methods here I would say. Thanks for this - inspiring!!! :)

In terms of closing down... The body is the barometer so when i start feeling weary I just back it off and re-schedule as a lot of the readers on this site do.
Have been sitting in the energy while it dissipates after the readings so hadn't thought of a ritual to release the focus.

Love to see that post!! :)

xx

jillkite

Bonny, thanks a lot for your appreciation! i had a GREAT teacher years ago who showed me this way. she also showed me how to finish a reading, and i have also followed this way for over 12 years too, and now pass it on to others who learn with me.

i always close a reading by picking up the most positive card that has appeared (very much with intuition rather than analysis) then collecting all the other cards of the reading underneath this one, i make sure the 2nd most positive card ends up on the bottom.

so i make a sandwich of the all the different energies of the reading between the two most positive cards.

then i leave this pile, (with the most positive card face up, and all the others from the reading underneath) in front of the sitter, so the last card they see is one that is beaming positive energy to them.

then i shuffle this pile of cards from the reading back into the rest of the deck. while doing this i thank the cards.

if it is time to put the cards away i shuffle the cards untll there is a card that makes me feel good on the bottom of the deck, then i put my cards away. this is so whenever i get my cards out, if i glimpse the bottom card, i have a good feeling about seeing my cards again before starting to do any work.