The Old Man in the Ten of Pentacles

0_seeker

Incidentally...

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the pentacles on the Ten sorta spell "OY"? (That's not instructive, but it's a little fun.)

Aoife

Re: That Old Man

0_seeker said:
...the Ten of Pentacles represents the fullness of material well-being, the kind of security that's so all-encompassing that everyone can find a place in it.

.... With experience we become less concerned with building and more with giving what we've built to those we love -- but we can still settle comfortably into the background and have faith that we won't be forgotten.

0_seeker, thank you! I find this a really helpful and affirming interpretation.

Eve

lupo138

old man

I think he can be interpreted as a hint to the fact that the 10 is the end of the journey. Of course the 10s all represent the maximum of the development - depicted as rather happy in the pentacles and cups, a bit opposite in the swords and the wands.
But regardless of the picture, the meaning is always (among many other meanings of course) that it is the end - like the end of pain in the 10s or the end of financial growth in the 10d or the end of development in the 10c or the breakdown under ones inner forces like in the 10w. Thus it is the maximum, that cannot be exceeded any more. That can be a pleasure, or it can be frustrating. All 10s bear both side of the coin within themselves - the 10d hints to that other side with the old man.
Just my 2schilling ;)

Phoenix_Down

Looking at the card, I don't see the 10 as being a very positive card...

Pentacles represent material wealth and health... the 10 represents the conlcusion of the suit... The conclusion of wealth is riches. But the conclusion of health is death and old age. This old figure appears to have both. The woman in the background isn't talking to a lover; they are both facing different directions. The fact that he is holding a spear suggest that he is a guard. The woman takes with her a child, suggesting that there is a family line aspect to the card (the old man is probably the woman's father) and she wishes to see him, knowing that his time is coming... this is also suggested by the dogs. They pine for his attention, which he only replies with a stare. To him, everything has become disingenuous and so he simply sits... and waits.

Two of Wands

That's a really interesting theory - and yes I think that the stances of the people in the picture truly suggest something like this. I actually think that this is a far more complex picture than most in the Rider Waite Deck and there really does seem to be some sort of the story behind it.

Phoenix_Down

On second look, it is difficult to see, but the old man is actually petting the dogs, rather than just staring back. It is difficult to see without the recoloring, as his hand is so red that it blends in with the background. He still seems disgruntled however... =/

paradoxx

I like the odeyssius theory, very telling.

However, the Man can also be the Hermit from card 9, the Dog from the fool card, and the family from teh 10 of cups. All of this identifies with the 10 of pentacles meaning, the coming together of important aspects to create a larger whole or a larger picture.

Little Baron

Hi everyone
Very interesting thread.

I have been pulling a card each day to try and get to grips with this deck and today, the 10 of pentacles is the one.

I have read everybodys views on this card and especially, on the old man that sits in the foreground. I have learnt from studying this deck to never take any of the images for granted and also that there is a lot more within the 'stories' than you may see at first glance. I was especially interested in the threads that spoke of the skull on a cup (7 of cups) and the two faces on the girl (6 of cups). I had not noticed either of those details ... but from now on, as I study, I am keeping my eyes peeled! For example, I could see the old man staring at the dogs but it was not until someone here observed that he was actually petting them that I looked closer and could see that he is.

Now forgive me if my observation here is silly - maybe I have just misinterpreted what you have all been saying or possibly my eye sight is on its way out. From what everyone has said, I got the impression there were four figures in this card - the old man, the younger man, the woman and the child. Obviously, there are also the two dogs. Have I got that correct?
The reason I say this is as follows - when I looked at the staff/spear that was being held, I could not see it being held by the young man as it seemed too detatched and far away. It is also too far away for the old man to be holding it. Someone said here that the man that the woman was talking to was possibly not her husband/lover and just a guard.
If you look at what I think people are referring to as the arm holding the spear, in my eyes, this is a fifth person - the real guard. He is dressed in black and is leaning against the pillar of the arch. The spear is resting over his shoulder and it's tip touches the arch behind him. His head is dropped forward. He has quite long hair but on top, he is bald. Did everyone else see this already? Am I repeating the obvious? If so, I apologise, but if not, I hope I have shed just a little light on what seems to be a very complex card.

My other observations of this card are the pictures on the wall to the left. What are these? Is there anything written to tell the meanings of these images as I would be most interested? They must be there for a reason. My first thoughts (as a Rider Waite novice) is that the bottom one reminds me of a set of scales - maybe indicating a balance). To it's left, I can not make out the image, even though it does remind me of the castle (adventure) that erupts from the cup in the 7 of cups. I can see that the last image at the top is of a castle. Is it the castle in which this scene is based.

I hope that this thread continues, since I have enjoyed looking into this card very much and would be very interested to hear other peoples views and knowledge.

Best wishes to you all

Yaboot

Little Baron

Just a small point to add ...

I have been looking at this card from the 'universal waite' deck and my findings of the fifth person do not exist there; only in the original 'Rider Waite' deck. What appears to be a person in the RW has become a cuff in the UW. I even asked my mother to get her reading glasses and take a look at the two cards. She could see the figure in the first but not in the latter.

Just thought I would mention that incase you were looking at your UW and wonderered what I was talking about.

Best wishes

yaboot

Ruby Red Slippers

Thank you for the interesting thread :)

My take on this card is a little different in that I see the 10 as a new beginning, not an end. (I see the 9 as compeletion).

Therefore, I see this card as the view of the world from both sides. I consider the "old man" as having crossed over/died in the material world and that is why no one but the dogs seem to be aware of him. I believe that dogs see spirit. The child also seems to see the dog, or at least, is aware of him. There again, I believe that children are more open to "seeing" what adults have closed off for themselves.

I also think that it is not only the "material" in the sense of worldly goods reflected in the card but the continuation of "family" through memories, values, traits that is depicted here. I believe it can also be reflected of the family/community as a whole/the world, traditions, bias, cultures in some readings.

I think the pomegranates and oak leaves on the old man side represent prolific energy and wisdom. The castle, ships and tower could be representative all the things that goes through in a mortal life.

Ruby Red Slippers