The Old Man in the Ten of Pentacles

poivre

I just picked this card for a question of when will I get a new job? Confused. BUT anyway I noticed going through here no one mentioned the Tree of Life made with the 10 coins.They coins show this. Does anyone know what it means on this card? ( I don't)
Also does anyone use this card as a move card. I had a reader tell me once that when this card is up you'll be moving. I just thought about it as inheritance & family etc. you know the rest.

Cerulean

It's a beautiful day in town.

"A man and woman beneath an archway, which gives entrance to a house and domain. They are accompanied by a child., who looks curiously at two dogs accosting an ancient personage seated in the foreground. The child's hand is on one of them. Divinatory meanings: Gain, riches, family matter, archives, extraction, the abode of a family. Reverse: chance, fatality, loss, robbery, games of hazard, sometimes gift, dowry, pension."

Pictorial Key to the Tarot, Arthur Waite. There's a free site that lists all the meanings as well from the Pictorial Key.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/index.htm

I've been carrying around the Pictorial Key and the Universal Tarots (mignion size) by Roberto De Angelis and in this version, one grayhound is nearer to the child and is looking to the child's left, outside the card. The other dog is a grayhound and looks friendly and curiously at the old man, who is well-covered with a nice cloak and blanket.

Here to me is a family on a beautiful day and the child and dogs add a family note. The old man's comfortable and quiet sitting shows he is at peace in a rich household. The citadal and buildings beyond can be the entrance beyond to a pleasant town or a nice family courtyard. The woman and child can either be going or coming home and the young man could be part of their pairing or with the old man. The dogs seem to be friendly and part of this domestic scene.

In the Pictorial Key to the Tarot's depiction, the old man's cloak has either the pomegranates of the High Priestess or the grapes and leaves in the King of Pentacles. The suit descriptions begin with the King of the Suit and go down to 10 to the Ace.

It may be the end of the road, where "they lived happily to the end of their days" or it may be a fruitful dream of generations living close together. Wherever this world is, I like the card.

0_seeker

Couple; dogs; Odysseus; skull; Tree of Life

Ros, did you draw this card in isolation or as part of a larger spread? If the latter, for what position?

I've always thought of the younger couple as circling/orbiting each other, rather than disconnected or facing off. They recall the Three of Cups, in which we see fullness/completion of another kind -- very strong and very "tight" (three being the least number necessary to create an enclosed space), as opposed to the "looseness" of material abundance (which seems less...controllable?). The Ten feels close, claustrophobic: lots of "stuff", though not necessarily in a bad way. The old man is surrounded by comforts, as if wrapped in a thick blanket -- not at center stage, but definitely cared for.

I tend to make much of the white dogs. I see them as a sort of pure spirit; the people in this image, to me, are not at odds with the material world, but draw strength from it. It's like those birds that are always twittering around Snow White, or the medieval belief that unicorns were attracted to virgin young girls -- that natural spirits are attracted implies purity, a resonance or alignment with natural forces. The dogs are at ease, playful, affectionate, so the scene must be somehow *right*. All the characters form a kind of chain -- young man connects to woman, to child, to dog, to old man, to other dog. (I also tend to think of the child as looking at the aged man, noticing him, including him.)

I like the Odysseus reading and can see it in the R-W rendering, but personally I'd shy away from it. When Odysseus returned home in disguise, he was *uneasy*, not-secure, for his roles as husband and lord were being threatened by a line of persistent suitors. For him, the big battle, in which he eventually expelled the suitors and reclaimed his position, was yet to come. I agree that this card is more about this man than about the younger couple, but I think of it as a card of resting contentedly on the sidelines, letting others continue what's begun. Ten; completion; no more strife, no more plot twists.

To me the dimness of the wall images (skull, &c.) represents the distant past, the world outside the walls, struggles overcome. This is the burden that the old man has already carried. He has created a strong home in which his family can grow in peace and security, and now he can pet the pets and just "relax with his thoughts". The only negative I generally read here is the danger of complacency or insularity -- i.e., things may be good and comfortable within this home, but growth requires adversity, adventure, novelty, discomfort. Basically, a good, warm, secure card, though with the usual caveats about warmth and security.

Wish I could offer some wisdom on the Tree of Life; I pursued the Kabbalah zealously for a while, but I never could connect it with my here-and-now. I'd expect to see the Tree in Swords, rather than in Pentacles, but I suppose rendering it in any other suit would pose logistical problems! :} AEW might say the Tree transcends/exceeds all suits.

Still, I might make one point about it: The discussion of this card has touched several times on the themes of inheritance and transfer, and to me the essence of the Tree is just that kind of *flow*: a shift in focus, or energy/essence moving in a mass among points. Concentration shifts from one space to another -- old man to young couple, young couple to child, sephira to sephira, point A to point B. This may or may not be the origin of your reader's association with relocation, but it does seem to tie the card thematically to the Tree of Life.

Hope this helps! I don't have much experience with this, so I'd be glad to hear thoughts. Best wishes!

poivre

Thanks to both replys.
I do have a job & just asked if I'll be getting a new one this year. It was just a one card draw.
I liked the part about the dogs & Snow White, this is new to me but sounds good.
The Tree of Life from the coins & Kabbalah I don't understand & probably means coming or going of another lifetime. We'll see if we can get more replys on this.
O-seeker very good start! IMHO

lark

To me the Tree of Life made out of coins says that this family also enjoys Emotional and Spiritual prosperity.
Along with the material comforts of life, the harmony they live in speaks of something more.

That in order to truly have it all mind,(emotional) body,(material) and spirit (spiritual) need to be satisfied.

I think that is what the scales on the wall are symbolizing. A well balanced life.

Cerulean

An additional comparison

I've been comparing my Pictorial Key to the Tarot with various decks with illustrated pips. The keyword on the Tarot of the Stars (Celesta Portal) for the Ten of Pentacles is Origin and it shows a familar Rider Waite scene with a man, woman, gate and old man sitting in front of the portal with two dogs near him.

He usually has some astrological symbolism and little alternative perspectives to any of his scenes, which could be Rider-Waite in style, or include some ornamental details from older decks such as the Mantegna or Milianese decks. Some keywords I pulled out of the blue booklet suggests a harmonious integration stage of earthly material wealth and home, and family.

Tavaglione is an esoteric scholar as well, so in his booklet he mentions numerology significance of ten, kabbalah references and ten Buddhist deities...it takes me awhile to go through even one card of this deck, but I really like the rich blend of correspondences...anyway, it underlined the peaceful feeling of integrated wealth that I got from the other Rider Waite Smith styles of symbolism...so hope this adds a good feeling to the card draw. Thanks for bringing up the old man!

Mari H.

Aure

I'm just starting out with Bunning's book and today this card came up.

I don't know if I interpret it all wrong but to me first seemed like the woman was coming to get some advice from the wise old man. The man she was talking to seemed to be a guard and she was asking if she would be allowed to have an audience ;)

The cihild to me represented curiosity towards life and the dogs and the man patting them gentleness. So I thought it was about getting advice and willingness in following it and also curiosity in life and possibly even for me good luck in finding a job!

janstar17

The RWS image on the Ten of Pentacles speaks of material completion to me. Tens do that for me...the completion of the journey begun with the Ace, but also the possibility of a new beginning if we choose.

The old man, wrapped in an elaborately decorated cape or blanket, appears still strong and vital yet content to set in stillness and watch the next generation(s). The pattern of his wrap speaks to me of abundance (grapes, same as the King of Pentacle robes) mixed with what looks to me to be achemical symbols!!

Is he forgotten? Certainly not by the hounds...they see him with different eyes, the eyes of pure feeling. The young couple, just beginning their journey as adults, appear to have eyes only for each other. The young man, back to his elder indicating acceptance of his own independence and destiny; the young woman leans in toward her mate though in such a position she can still make eye contact with the older man. Whether he is an elder male of her own family or not, she would not hesitate to seek his counsel if need be.

The 10 pentacles arranged as an overlay to the scene form the Kabbalistic Tree of Life. To me, that hints at spiritual fulfillment -- perhaps embarking on a path of enlightenment. Maybe now that he has obtained the material success of the earth pentacle (coin) the older man can guiltlessly begin a journey of higher purpose knowing he leaves his "family" with a firm foundation for success themselves.

Sort of a 'my work here is done' kind of card!! :-D

tmgrl2

Before I read the posts on the thread, I decided...10 Pents...domestic harmony, security at a material, earthly level
and the older man outside the gates, almost like a "grandfather" looking over his "family" or "community.

I don't see the dogs as accosting him...as in Waite's definition. I see him as dogs he knows...He seems to be petting one.

There is always a tinge of sadness when this card comes up for me, since we see his back, but we see the others facing us...as if his back to us, tells us he is leaving this plane soon. His garments are quite richly adorned...so even with all one's material needs met, growing older and facing the fianl frontier has a bittersweet quality about it.

Silvie Simon says the card has been dubbed
the lord of wealth...It signals great success in financial matters but also wisdom and good fortune....Thanks to the influence of Mercury, courage allied with presence of mind leads to great understanding. And if one stays vigilant, this properity will last.

But I still see a bittersweet quality to the man whenever I see the card...perhaps because I am aging and have the kind of security in the earthly plane that was so elusive when I was growing up in a very "cash poor" household during WWII. It has been a long road of learning and work for me and I am grateful for all I have as I "survey" my own holdings and family....but I am entering the last phase of my life...it's a kind of peaceful sadness.

terri