The Primary Deck Reflection Thread for 2011

BlueDragonfly

WolfyJames said:
I was doing fine up until I got sick yesterday, I was too worried I'd vomit on my cards to use them, I shall be back tomorrow.
Oh, feel better soon!

Eyebright

I really want to do a PDR but I can't make my mind up on which deck to use.

PDR appeals to me over IDS as I don't want to academically study the deck, just use one deck for most of my readings to really connect with the imagery and how it speaks to me...but I can't choose!!!

At the moment its between Druidcraft or Deviant Moon...but I also have the Steampunk on its way as well as the Anna K, which will also throw a spanner into my decision making works! :/

Sigh... I'm hoping I can come to a decision soon, I know it will be good for my tarot practice to focus on one deck.

Cassandra022

I really like this idea but...i also have so many new, or relatively new, decks, and i like to switch back and forth, and choosing just one (and CHOOSING, gah!) seems really hard right now :0

Can we join at any time of the year, or is this more a sign up at the beginning of the year type thing?

inanna_tarot

Sometimes the deck picks you - mad as that sounds. Like meeting someone and you get a feel for them and want to talk to them more.

And you can sign up to a PDR at any time, just the new year gives everyone a focus.

Onyx

Cassandra022 said:
I really like this idea but...i also have so many new, or relatively new, decks, and i like to switch back and forth, and choosing just one (and CHOOSING, gah!) seems really hard right now :0

Can we join at any time of the year, or is this more a sign up at the beginning of the year type thing?

Of course you can join at any time, just let me know when you are ready to settle down and I will add you to the list.

I completely understand the impulse to switch decks all the time. That is why my collection is ever increasing, but there is some value in sticking with a deck for an extended time to really get to know it too.

Onyx.

Cassandra022

thanks. I think what i'm going to do is keep on deck hopping/dabbling through the rest of January, then starting with Feb, focus on a single primary deck for that month, probably switch to a new deck and the start of the next month, so on, see how that works for me. Would that be in line with the intentions of this thread, still?

BlueDragonfly

One thing you could do, is use your PDR deck for personal readings a couple times a week, or maybe a one card daily draw and post it in a blog or in the Your Readings forum.

You can certainly do readings with other decks, as many as you want, but the premise is to use your PDR deck more consistently, building a closer connection to it.

Cassandra022

ok, feel a bit stupid but...im kind of confused about the difference between IDS and this...i thought it was academical vs. less formal/more intuitive but this isn't as monogamous (for lack of a better term) either? IDS has more rules?

Sorry, gah.

BlueDragonfly

Cassandra022 said:
ok, feel a bit stupid but...im kind of confused about the difference between IDS and this...i thought it was academical vs. less formal/more intuitive but this isn't as monogamous (for lack of a better term) either? IDS has more rules?

Sorry, gah.
Umm.....let's call them guidelines rather than rules.
And yes, in an IDS study, you work with one deck exclusively, but with Primary Deck Reflections, you select one deck for personal readings in order to form a closer connection with it, but are certainly free to use any of your other decks in whatever way you want.

For example, my PDR is with the DruidCraft, I read with it for myself, several times a week, usually in a daily draw, but if I want to do a reading with another deck, that is within the guidelines.

In an IDS study, it is a more academic study, and by using only one tarot deck, you are more focused on the symbolism, the system, the story behind the creation of the deck, or whatever you choose to learn about that particular deck, because it is the only deck you're picking up, shuffling and reading with, or about. These studies can be for shorter time periods, or a whole year and beyond.

Eyebright

Ok, I have come to a decision!! I have decided to do my PDR with my Druidcraft deck :eek:

I think I'm going to do this for a month then review see if I want to continue it after that or move on to a different deck! I'm so proud of myself for finally coming to a decision! Whoop :D