The Quest Tarot - Cards you Like/Dislike

lunakasha

prk001 said:
Hi Luna,
The only problem with that is I don't have a standard meaning or interpretation for any cards except a few majors. Does having a standard meaning for cards restrict the amount of information you get from a tarot reading? I know even with standard meanings, the 78 cards can make up quite a number of combinations in a spread and still can provide different information to the querents. But still, I am curious. :)

L&L,
RK

Interesting question, RK....

There have been many threads on this subject in the Using Tarot Cards forum, about using traditional or "book" meanings versus intuitive readings of the cards. You would probably get several different answers from several different readers...I think each one of us comes up with a balance between the two that suits our own personal style....

Personally, I try to stay away from the books and just look at the card first. See what the imagery of that particular card is telling me during that particular reading...and go from there. Most of us are familiar with many of the "traditional" meanings of many of the cards, and this knowledge will have some effect upon your interpretation....BUT by using your intuition, allowing it to speak to you, it is possible to pick up additional information specific to the querent and/or issue that you might not find in a book.

For example, using the Quest Mother of Wands as an example:

When you first look at this card....what do you see???

Which symbols, colors or figures really "jump out" at you???
(and this can vary from reading to reading with the same card)

What is your overall "feeling" from this card??? Does it give you a more positive or negative feeling....neutral perhaps???

Maybe the first thing that catches your eye (in the Mother of Wands) is the raven directly above her...what does the raven mean to you??? What are its characteristics??? Why is he hovering??? Does the raven have any personal significance for the querent??? And so on....

These are all questions I would be asking myself when I first look at the cards. Eventually, I would begin thinking about the generally accepted meanings of this card, and incorporate that information in with my intuitive observations.

I would like to discuss this further but....I am afraid we might be straying off-topic here, LOL!!!!

Here is a link to a thread that discusses this issue in more detail:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26795

:D Luna

prk001

Thanks for the link. I have seen it some time back. But when I checked it today, there were far more links & it is quite informative to know several similar yet different views.

L&L,
RK

prk001

lunakasha said:
MysticHermit.....I like that, hehehehe!!! :p

I do love this card....the Hermit is one of my favorite cards anyway....we should definitely start a new thread!

:D Luna

Hi Luna,
We have started a seperate thread on Hermit. I am looking forward for your interpretation.

L&L,
RK

Fulgour

I have trouble with the Aces, because of the many correspondences.

Sillanza

So Glad this Group is Back!

So far my favorites in the quest are the Hanged Man (just so ethereal and evocative), and I like the Devil quite a bit as well. Interesting perspective! The Fool is the best imagery I've seen yet for this card. I could go on ... best to go to the individual threads!

Sillanza

Alchemy Not a Favorite

How disappointing it was to see this card. While the imagery is beautiful as the rest of the Quest, it leaves me rather flat. I think it's the lack of a human figure, and the difficulty in placing the landscape.

The 78th Fool

I'm only just starting to get my head around this deck. The artwork is just awesome and I don't dislike any of the cards in that respect.

What I do find more difficult to deal with are the keywords, particularly on the Major Arcana and the Court Cards. For me they are so distracting and really do tie me down to using the author's interpretations. On a deck this vivid and descriptive in its own right and with a very well written book thrown in, I'd rather they weren't there.

Nevertheless, this is a purely subjective viewpoint and there's not much else at fault!!!

Chris. xx

bleudiamond

I dislike the death card.....it disrupts the flow of the deck in my opinion.......and it looks too silly.

I also dont like the stones......I dont know why, but they bother me...

But my favorite card is The Magician, his sitting position gives me a "i can do it" kinda feel.

Tansey Ella

I found this thread on a search.

I started looking at this deck yesterday. I have had it for about 2 yrs but it set in a box. I kept hearing the words "quest" or " look at the quest" and decided to take a good look at it. I am very happy I did. I love the feel I get from it, as if the author were there. The feeling is one of acceptance and human -kindness and a very nonjudgmental attitude. I felt good touching the cards and knew they had something to say to me. I just know the author is a kind and fair person. I can feel it. The author regards all humans as having value and is not pretentious. He seems to really enjoy helping others -king or peasant.
The book described the reading of tarot using proper respect . It described the box to put the cards in, and other things some authors leave out. I really enjoyed that- it was not condescending at all. I found it to be very helpful and I was able to get into a nice meditative state without much problem. ( I'm a bit hyper so meditating is a challenge for me)
Two cards that kept coming up for me were the mother of stones and the son of wands. I too really loved the son of wands, very much like the fool card to me.
I tried the yes /no and spelling feature. I will have to work with that. I did notice that the author said not to keep asking the same thing over and over again - to respect he oracle. I took that to heart.
What a wonderful deck. I would love to read anything else this humble person has written.
I loved the multi universe card. I felt this was the natural progression of life, beginning to finally we are again energy in the universe. I was asking about a friend who had passed and it was among the cards for them. I was just awe struck at such accuracy and it felt so spiritual. I also love the blank card. Potential .