The "Soprafino Tarot" pattern

conurelover

Rosanne the man in the right hand corner of the Il Papa card with a blueish hat and clothing on, do you see him turned around sneering? He won't look at the Pope. Wonder who he is meant to be?

Rosanne

Hi Conurelover!
That is the only figure that appears to be wearing conservative and appropriate clothing.
He is a Priest. He carries a chalice and on his head is a black Pilus or otherise named a Zucchetto. You may have seen cardinals with red ones on. In the middle ages they were first used to keep their shaved Tonsure warm.
He seems to be looking back at the cardholder as if to say- Huh! look at those parrots in front of me; he appears to be the only true and honest cleric in the picture. It is a sign of respect not an entitlement. Notice the others are minus their respect.
~Rosanne

Lumen

Conurelover and Rosanne,

I see that man in the right-hand corner as if he is frowning. Look at this eyes, the eyebrows position, and his forehead; it is a sneer of contempt, as if he is annoyed by us, or by someone just behind him disturbing the ceremony in progress, as if there is a heckler behind him.

But what does this mysterious annoyed priest represent?

Rosanne

Weeelllll......In the classic he is not sneering, but he is frowning.
Not exactly Historical Research but lets have a "Fill in a Caption" exercise.

"Can I make it back to the door, I am obviously in the wrong place?"
"Hey you... can I have that pink and gold feather for my Pilus"
"Oh heavens..Here comes Lucrezia!
"No you can't have my Humbugs, the lid is jammed on the chalice!"
"what!!!! I have to pay for the blessing?"
"You did WHAT last week waiting here?"
" Watcha mean "everyone has parked their Cadillac", I came on foot"
"Stop pushing will ya!"
"He has'nt seen me yet!"

~Rosanne
http://www.vintageimagemadness.com/...ino_tarot_card__il_papa_(the_pope)_p3224.html

conurelover

One of Pope Alexander Borgia's poisoners???? Just a guess.

minhnguyen0691

A guide book in italian

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I found this thread while I was searching for information about the Soprafino tarot. If someone here can read in Italian, I would suggest a book written by an Italian professor called: Gli arcani della vita.
http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/887..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312234127&pf_rd_i=426865031
He wrote only about the major arcana but I have read a sample chapter and he seemed to use many image from italian decks to demonstrate the pattern. Hope this can help !

Rosanne

HI minhnguyen0691!
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the book nod.
Here is a description of the book in translated Italian to English.
It seems to be more about today's views on the psychological analysis of the major arcana.
For the legend tarot cards come from the Far East or emerge from the mysteries of ancient Egypt, for the story is a subsidiary of Italian humanism and triumphs of tarot cards are a triumph of Renaissance culture. Their pictures come from the workshops of medieval miniaturists, from the ateliers of artists such as Andrea Mantegna, Albrecht Dürer, Salvador Dali, Guttuso, from pencils cartoonists as Milo Manara and Hugo Pratt. Over the course of six centuries painters, poets, writers, philosophers, occultists have selected a defined range of figures that make up a landscape comparable to the great imaginative symbolic systems of mythology, numerology, astrology, kabbalah ... Today is the analytical psychology to explore the symbolism of these figures, to investigate the archetypal nodes that shape the uniqueness of the individual. On the "magic rotation" tarot individual images represent the individual components of psychic wholeness and their sequence depicts the sequence of evolutionary events of the psyche. In their symbols are configured nodes organizational personality and joints evolutionary existence. This volume constitutes the psychological analysis of the major arcana, piercing their symbols to penetrate a little bit more the mystery of life and the mystery of the unknown individuals become more and more self-aware.
I am personally more intersted in the historical reasons for the sequence, but maybe there is more in the book than the description indicates.
~Rosanne

minhnguyen0691

Thank you Rosanne for the welcoming ! I have just order my ST deck from il Meneghello and I'm still waiting for it to arrive and I'm thinking about ordering the book too. I have a small question about doing reading with the Soprafino tarot and I hope that someone can help me with this. I would like to know if the meaning of the cards follow the normal rules or they might have different meanings ? Thanks in advance for your help !

conurelover

Thank you Rosanne for the welcoming ! I have just order my ST deck from il Meneghello and I'm still waiting for it to arrive and I'm thinking about ordering the book too. I have a small question about doing reading with the Soprafino tarot and I hope that someone can help me with this. I would like to know if the meaning of the cards follow the normal rules or they might have different meanings ? Thanks in advance for your help !

Hello. I am quite new to the deck and not sure I can answer as well as others on this forum but to put it simply, I wish I had learned tarot with Soprafino instead of my Waite versions. I do not use the same meanings at all.

But like I said, it is a new deck to me too. Good luck. It is a wonderful deck. :)

frelkins

Read it like a TdM.