The Story behind the K & C "Hexerey" Thoth Deck.

moonmorgan

Just catching up with the thread as the PCs been offline while we redecorate my new reading room (ooops, sorry, meant the dining room,wasn't even thinking about tarot when I chose the colours....... Hehehe!) and I CAN'T WAIT to get my deck now.

I'm so jealous of those of you who have it already - it sounds totally fascinating, and the story is amazing - thanks for rescuing them, Photokat.

Hopefully mine will be here soon, fingers crossed :)

Elven

LeFanu said:
Funny, it seems to me that the Germans love the Thoth. All my non-tarot German friends are familiar with the Thoth in a way which my non-German friends aren't. I think it was always the main tarot deck there. That, at least, is my impression.
Oh! Yeah, I noticed this too - my teacher was Polish and her mum German - she had a handle on the Thoth from a young age - I think this was one of her main reading decks, besides a pack of heritage reading cards and a few other goodies.

This little Thoth is very cute.
Mine has no odour - love the handcut corners - the colours - and the size of the deck. All roundgood purchase.
Thanks for chasing this beauty up Photokat - if you hadn't they may have been tossed out, and the Tarot community would never know about them - and they's might have been lost forever.

Love the backstory to this deck as well - and the picture of the two creators :laugh: - Classic :D

Thanks a bunch
Elven x

strings of life

Mine arrived faster than anticipated, and I LOVE it! It's like an entirely new Thoth deck--this of course coming from one who traded her Thoth away. At the time, the images just didn't resonate with me (even though it is an Art Deco dream), but this little gem has caused me to see it in a new light and give the Thoth another try. Just me and my funky wee Thoth.

I like how the Majors and suits are all grouped by different color borders and how your eyes are drawn directly to the images. The colors pop and gleam with energy. It's small, pocket sized in every sense of the word, but just perfect!

Mine does smell like cigarette smoke, but some baking soda in a closed container will get rid of that, no worries at all.

photokat, you rock for making these available to us :D.

photokat

aurarcana said:
Mine does smell like cigarette smoke, but some baking soda in a closed container will get rid of that, no worries at all.

Weird.
I only smoke crack near my decks ....

Grigori

photokat said:
Weird.

LOL

Mine arrived today, thank so much photokat :thumbsup: They are so cute, smaller than I imagined, and perfect traveling size. I've been wanting to make up a new tree of life poster with the cards on the paths and in the spheres, and these will be perfect for that.

I don't think its actually a cigarette smell, I think its the ink. Mine also had an odor that is very reminiscent of tobacco, but I'm pretty sure its just the ink and not actual smoke. It's not strong, you need to stick your nose up close to the cards to notice it, and it seems to be fading already.

Very happy, thanks PK :)

strings of life

^ Ahh, maybe that's what it is. Ink, tobacco, no matter as it will eventually fade away. These are just so unique, and I love the backs (just like I thought I would)!

:]

jujustar

Yeah, and that totally doesnt affect the smell of the cards...

;)

i cant wait to get my decks in the mail....i dont have any other minis, as i hate peering, but these will be...amazing im sure!!! thanks to miss photokat

photokat said:
Weird.

photokat

I am curious on what the hardcore Thoth fans think of this deck?

t.town.troy

I'll thank you here too, photokat. :)
I have had this deck for a month now and can't stop "playing" with it.
At first there was a slight 'mouldy' scent (I love old books and records, so by association actually like the smell), but I think it went away with all the handling and spreading that this little deck has been through since I got it.
Also, there was a couple cards that had a bit of the print on the faces peeling around the edges; but I carefully removed the 'flaps' and used coloured pencils to fill in the blanks. (the Fool, five of wands and knight of disks come to mind as ones I did the most work on)
I've coloured the edges that stick out the most, (bits of white being filled in) front and back, so the deck is more uniform.
Don't get me wrong; I am not complaining, just telling my story. I am quite fond of this little deck, and am so glad to have had the opportunity to purchase one from photocat. (have I thanked you yet?:D)
I keep it in the bag that came with the deluxe edition of the Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn; it has a Rosy Cross embroidered on it, so the little deck feels right at home. Well, that's enough from me for now.

jujustar

I love this deck!!!

It immediately took over from my trimmed medium AGM thoth that i always carried with me.
i love the borders and the kinda "dingy", mysterious colouring that makes my AGMs seem almost clinical in comparison.
Also, the different colouring brings out different details in certain cards that i never really noticed before.
The smell is very cool, reminds me of old textbooks i had in college!
Oh, and I love the retro cardstock.

All in all, very happy that i got this one from PK.