The ultimate software

Tor

Hi :)

I'm looking for the ultimate software for tarot.

It should contain:

* Many spreads

* Many decks

* Deal, shuffle, seeded shuffle

* Many options (reversal/non-reversal and so on)

* A complete library of interpretations

* A keyword function

* A diary

* A notebook

* Advanced statistics

* Being editable

* Fun and functional

Is there any software like this out there? I'm thinking of bying Tarot Magic. Is this software any good?

Or am I just dreaming....?

jema

Gosh!
it's my kitchen table you are talking about!!!
I got it all: decks, books, spreads, notebooks, pens and paper, old records of readings done sine the 80:ies.
and of course I am both fun and educational:p

and I got tea and cookies too:)

But seriously, I am gonna watch this thread too.
I got only one advice - you do NOT want the Mystic Meg program. I have it and it sucks.

oceanpoetry

so true Jemma! I just don't think a software program could replace the usefulness of your kitchen table.

There are some software apps out there for tarot I think, but I really like handling the cards and doing my journal-writing with pen and paper.

Moongold

Greetings,

Matrix Software have this one but I don't think it has quite everything you need:

http://www.astrologysoftware.com/software/index.asp

They make astrology software as well.

I quite like the Orphalese software and it is free as well.

Nothing like the kitchen table though :)

Astra

Baldur - speaking as a programmer who's trying to put something like this together;

* Many spreads - no problem. The kicker is to write something that can be expanded if the user has a new spread they'd like to put into the collection. Although that's possible, it's messy.

* Many decks - this one is a problem. Not because one couldn't add graphics and interps, but because of copyright problems. One of the reasons I developed my own deck was so that I could do this type of program without having to hassle the copyright issue. If you're doing it right, and use multiple decks, then you need contracts that spell out what percentage of the price of each program sold goes to each copyright holder. And if they want money up front, this can make it altogether impractical.

* Deal, shuffle, seeded shuffle - no problem for the first two, but the third requires more complex programming to get away with.

* Many options (reversal/non-reversal and so on) - no problem at all to let someone enter the general percentage of reversals they'd like in a reading, from, say, 0 to 50, but what does "and so on" mean?

* A complete library of interpretations - by whose definition? The best I've been able to come up with is to let people add interps themselves, and that can get hairy in itself. You could fill a CD or two with nothing but interps and never get all of them.

* A keyword function - Could you be just a bit more specific about this? For searching through the interps, or what? And how (and how often) do you see yourself using a function of this type?

* A diary * A notebook - I may just be too limited in my perspective, but isn't this like saying "let's build a hook on the bathtub to hang a flowerpot"? Certainly you can include just about anything in any program, but this is the type of thing that's much more likely to be sold separately , maybe with a calendar and a few other bells and whistles.

* Advanced statistics - specifics?

* Being editable - depends on what it is you want to edit. It's generally not possible to have the program itself editable, unless you're writing in javascript or another uncompiled language. Even then, it's not a great idea, because this is one area where a little learning is a dangerous thing - it's much easier to get a program to be unworkable than not.

* Fun and functional - sure, but by whose definition? This one is so much a matter of the user's background and preferences that all you can do it make some guesses.

tarotpharot

Hi Baldur.

TarotMagic is a winner. Here's some features I like:

* Positional interpretations according to exactly where the cards land.

* 16 Decks, 11 Spreads built in...or use your own deck.

* Print and Save readings including the color graphics of your spread, even if you've used a physical deck.

* Ability to keep a clear record of your readings

* Authentic card shuffling feature

* Contains the equivalent of a 1500-page encyclopedia of all the possible Tarot card meanings, by spread and by position.

* Use Reversals or not

* TarotMagic includes Christine Payne Towlers interpretations for each position in a spread ~AND~ the info. from the LWB; i.e keyword, description, etc.

There are other features. BTW, I have a couple Brand New, never opened copies from my old store just sitting around here I'd be willing to let go for a cheapy price. Tarot.Com sells this for $49.95. I'd be willing to part with one for a deal. PM me if you're interested.

Brad })
TarotPharot

Tor

tarotpharot:

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm sorry to tell you that I've already ordered from tarot.com

I hope you can sell your copies to others here. I will give feedback on the program after I've checked it out.

:)

tarotpharot

Balder said:
tarotpharot:

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm sorry to tell you that I've already ordered from tarot.com

I hope you can sell your copies to others here. I will give feedback on the program after I've checked it out.

:)

Hey, that's cool. No need to apologize. If I were that anxious to sell them I'd have offered them in the trades or put 'em up on Ebay.

Have fun,

Brad })
TarotPharot

dadsnook2000

Tarot Magic

I also have Tarot Magic -- and find it to be a great software program, worth its price many times over. Christine's work on this program is exceptionally well done. I don't use the program that often as I'm working on my own understanding of the cards without benefit of using references but I do run the program from time to time as a check on my skills. Dave.

Melvis

I also like this program a lot, although I find myself re-reading Christine Payne-Towler's essays more than using the rest of the program! She gets into a lot of esoteric history that is quite interesting.

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE