Things That Bug You

le fey

I'll tell you one thing I'm *not* bugged about - I'm not bugged that I've finally hit a point in my life where I am so beyond worrying about what random people think of me or feeling that a counter opinion includes some expectation that I need to alter myself to suit them.

I'm bugged that I couldn't have learned this when I was young and I'm bugged by the wasted energy I spent before I figured it out - but other people's opinions don't bug me and I don't expect mine about them to bug them, either.

Astraea Aurora

Ha, found another bug: People telling me eagerly they're into Tarot and they know it all and then they fish out some angel oracle, fairy oracle or another weird gimmicky one.

That's really making me roll my eyes. :rolleyes:

Astraea Aurora :grin:

cSpaceDiva

Chara said:
The real revolution is when you find new ways to speak to people. And every deck has the ability to do that. But it's not about the deck. It's about the people. All the things we say tarot "doesn't need"...well, it does need those things. We do need more RWS clones. We do need more art decks. We could use another "fluffy" deck. Maybe even with faeries! We do need more decks made for profit, and not for reading, because we're always going to need a different way to reach each other, and a different shade of red on this card and another drawing of three swords through a heart.

I can't say if we need them more or less than we need anything else in tarot, but I don't think it's ever useless. I don't think you can really say "we don't need that".
I wholeheartedly agree, and I hope you will post more. I am here because I love tarot. :heart: I love the art, the symbolism, the feeling of the cards, the connections. I love that tarot is expanding, growing, evolving and reflecting. I love that it is alive. So I guess what bugs me, is when people want to limit tarot, because to me, that is to kill tarot.

Shade

Ooooh this is fun and cathartic,

1. I can't tell you how often i have been told "Well the part about my past and present is right on but I am not too sure about what you said about the future." Now... I have been wrong before, I have even been wrong in this very forum... but if you wanted a reading, and I took the trouble to look at the past and resent to see where this all began, and I was right, could we maybe give the future interpretation a little credit and take steps to avoid/change it if you really don't like it.

2. When I read at an event (charity or paid for by the host/ess) and am doing quick free readings for everyone and a querent thinks that now that their reading is finished I want to hear their entire life story as it relates to the reading. I love enthusiasm but people are waiting behind you!

3. People who get offended by high prices. If you think someone charges too much for a tarot reading you will probably not be satisfied with the results. Just go to one of the many readers who is charging what you feel is reasonable.

4. Mothers who bring an infant to a reading, spend every three seconds tending to it and at the end of the reading are clearly have not heard a word I said and are thinking "Oh this guy has no clue what he is talking about." The comment earlier about having toys ready is BRILLIANT!

5. When people hear you read tarot cards and immediately say "Oh I don't believe in that." Usually immediately followed by "I'm more interested in logic and science." After I had had a few white russians at a party, someone was told (by someone else) that I read tarot and said quite haughtily "Oh I don't believe in any of that" to which I smiled and said "I don't believe I asked you." Thank you dear Absolut for providing me the willingness to say that.

6. This is something that annoys me that I personally do and am trying to break myself of doing. When I am concerned about not saying something "wrong" and stick to saying weaselly probable things and prance around the bush with vague universalisms when I should say "I think you should take a look at your credit card debt." When I am willing to just trust myself it can lead to a breakthrough where the querent A) trusts me and B) gets something useful out of the reading.

Seafra

People talking from their ego when answering the questions of someone just learning tarot. A straightforward question is not an invitation for a clipped discourse or a lecture on how they should find an answer themselves -- it is an opportunity to share what you know about the subject the question posed.

I just hate it when people talk from their ego. /sigh

epvitale

My pet peeves:

- Friends and family who ask, "How do I know you are reading the cards and not basing the reading on what you know of me?" My standard response: "You don't. I take everything into consideration when I read. The surrounding energies and everything I know about you. It is impossible to separate them."

- Querents who see a card fall and blurt out their interpretation on them. Now sometimes they are right. But I feel like, "Hey! I'm the reader and you're the client."

- Along the same lines, querents who give you their life stories (or conversely, don't give you any information) before or while you read. (I am a very conversational reader. I will look at the total spread for a few moments before beginning and then I jump into it. If something doesn't make sense to me I will ask the querent. I either get an entire history or a stony smile of triumph and silence while I try to make sense out of the throw.)

Gary

NorthernTigress

What really bugs me is trying to walk on the sidewalk after a freezing rain; people who walk into a store ten minutes before closing and expect to get served; people who stand at the front of the bus, so I can't get past them...

Oh wait, this is supposed to be what bugs me about Tarot? My bad. :laugh:

What bugs me is that almost every question I've done a reading on has been about love/relationships. How am I supposed to practice interpreting cards on a variety of subjects if everyone wants to know "Does X like me/ want me/ know that I exist?"

It also kind of bugs me when, in real life, someone sees my deck (or just my laptop wallpaper) and they say "Oh, that's tarot, isn't it?" but they don't say anything else. If you want me to do a reading, just ask.

nisaba

Shade said:
5. When people hear you read tarot cards and immediately say "Oh I don't believe in that." Usually immediately followed by "I'm more interested in logic and science."

<grin> A friend of mine has the perfect answer to that. He's a crash-hot Tarot reader. He's also a scientist with degrees in physics, pure mathematics and computing. He can simply turn his God-Smile onto them (it's a deadly weapon, I've told him he's not allowed to use it without responsible adult supervision) and tell them his qualifications.

Shade said:
t and said quite haughtily "Oh I don't believe in any of that" to which I smiled and said "I don't believe I asked you." Thank you dear Absolut for providing me the willingness to say that.

Although, that's not a bad one, either.

Shade said:
when I should say "I think you should take a look at your credit card debt." When I am willing to just trust myself it can lead to a breakthrough where the querent A) trusts me and B) gets something useful out of the reading.

<jumping up and down> SAY IT! SAY IT! I give you permission! Different friend of mine turned around and told a paying customer that she shouldn't have come in asking for a reading on her relationship, she had a perfectly decent bloke at home whose only problem was that he didn't behave like an overpaid but bad actor on The Bold and the Beautiful but like a perfectly decent Aussie bloke, and if she just went home and opened her eyes instead of moaning all the time, she'd see everything was okay in her relationship. <grin>. Sometimes a bit of honesty about what comes up in the reading is absolutely called for, and I must hereby apologise to the Universe for those occasions, even recently, when I've recognised just such a moment and haven't gone through with it myself.

nisaba

I found a couple of posts of mine in this thread, but not the one I really wanted to quote. I said something like:-

One think I really dislike is a client who, given the choice of a few decks, opts for the Rider-Waite over all others "because it's authentic".

I had just such a person today. I had a few decks out: a Hude, a mini visconti, a mini-Rider-Waite, a Herbal, dear old granny's deck, and the Jonathan Dee deck. Quit an honourable selection.

Woman walks in, sits down. I ask her to choose the deck I'll be working with. She glances at them, then drops her hand om the Rider-Waite. I politely ask why she chose it and she says "Because it's the original". So I come out with the new line "This ine is 500 years older," indicating the Visconti, and she picks it up without a murmur.

Reading happens. She's reasonably receptive. At the end when I'm writing up the ticket for the cashier she picks up the Hude and looks through it. *Then* she says "This was the one I was really drawn to." I made a point of consciously choosing *not* to add an extra ten dollars to the cost, and keeping my voice perfectly level and neutral as I said: "Well, maybe the reading would have gone deeper and been more useful to you if you'd chosen that one."

She can have her authenticity, and the reading *did* go okay. Bu the whole point of getting the client to choose the deck is to get artwork that they find accessible, and/or an energy-system that fits their own needs the best possible way on the day.

Sigh.