Thoth Deck Printing History

Debra

Patrick Booker said:
I think that there might have been a misunderstanding here.

No kidding, and thank you very much for being so polite, as I actually visualized that the people's faces on the cards were blank!

I don't know how that came to mind.

*wanders off in search of brain*

gregory

Debra said:
The box may be from another deck, or handmade. The blank faces are what's catching my attention.
Could be - but to fit, and for that not immediately to occur to Patrick...

If it could have come from Watkins someone there may know something. I know they are still in touch with staff from way back...

My Sheffield photographer is up for it.

fyreflye

Patrick Booker said:
I think that there might have been a misunderstanding here. When I talked about blank faces, I meant that all the sides/faces of the box were blank. I did not mean that there were blank cards.

Patrick

That's how I understood what you wrote. Which is why I couldn't fathom why anyone would want a picture of that box.

Patrick Booker

I have just bought a digital camera from Tesco - not very expensive. I will take some photos when I have got it working. It will be useful for other things as well.

I could email Watkins with a photo, I suppose. 40 years is a long time. My reason is that I seem to think I did buy items by post from them at this time.

Patrick

Patrick Booker

Camera up and running and I have first image. Will email to Mary.

Patrick

Teheuti

I just got Patrick's images and will put them up in a few minutes. All of us misunderstood 'blank faces,' which is why pictures are so important. The cards are standard first printing - Hong Kong according to the OTO text card. The box is obviously non-standard, for whatever reason; we'll probably never know.

Patrick - have fun with your camera!

gregory

Thanks, Patrick and Mary - how ODD about the box; I wonder what the outer was like...

fyreflye

gregory said:
Thanks, Patrick and Mary - how ODD about the box; I wonder what the outer was like...

Ah! Now that makes sense! If this is the inner box of the slipcase, that would explain why there's no printing. I no longer have my Hong Kong Thoth but I don't recall that the inner box was anything other than the gold coloring of the US printings. Can anyone else confirm?

But why would Watkins sell it without the outer case - unless Patrick lost the outer case sometime during the past 40 years and has simply forgotten.

At any rate, to answer Patrick's original question, even without the outer case but with the OTO card to verify the printing, if all cards are there and in good condition it's likely sellable for closer to $100 than $40.

gregory

More than that for a Hong Kong print, she said lustingly....

Hm - actually Patrick is in Sheffield.

I go to Sheffield at times.

I bet if I do a bit of research... })...