Timing Readings-Planetary Hours, etc

Scotia

Evening,

I know that many, if not most, using the forums will read for themselves and others whenever desired/requested but this thread is about elective readings which can be performed at a chosen time.

I recently did a couple of elective readings which made absolutely no sense to me at the time and, despite spending quite a bit of time on the cards involved, I'm not really any further forward. I suppose everyone has this problem at some time but it does tend to stay on my mind as I am often taken aback by the accuracy and insight from the cards. The issues the questions covered were pretty complex and its always possible that I simply didn't use the best spread or that I attempted to cover too much ground in a single reading/spread.

A single card drawn some time ago keeps coming to mind though - I was asking about whether it would be a good idea to do something and I drew the RX Star. I couldn't understand this as it is a positive card and I was going to do something pretty positive too! After a bit of thought I realised one of the meanings was, unseen (helpful) forces - in my mind this connected to the card itself - Star - in other words, astrological timing. I checked the moon and found it was VOC (void of course) at the time I proposed to do this particular action. I did wait until this period was over and the thing went ahead (and that right well!).

It did set me wondering if astrological timing is used by anyone, specifically to time elective readings, particularly on subjects such as relationships (Venus), conflict/competition (Mars), etc., as would be timed using planetary hours. I think I will start to test this when I can - I am in the habit of noting the time of readings in a journal and I hope something helpful will turn up!

Delighted to hear from anyone who has comments/is interested/has experience on this.

Scotia

Scotia

nisaba

Thanks for this link. I have had a quick look through that thread but think the timing under discussion on the thread is related to the timing of events shown in the cards (pick me up on it if I'm wrong), as in *when will this happen*.

The question I'm thinking of is more like - does the time chosen to do a reading have any effect on the clarity (or otherwise) of the cards and the ease of interpretation? Or, do current conditions affect the readings in any way, really.

I generally don't try to time events shown in the cards to that degree of accuracy, however, I now know that if I have need to do so I know where I can find a great system :)

Scotia

ravenest

Yeah, I got you from post 1 . I know what you mean.

I dont do it ... but really, 'technically', it is essential.

Any magical operation, including divination, should be done in concert with the influence of the celestial powers ... it is a very old tradition. Earlier on it was deemed essential, and one of the the 3 main prerequisites outlined by people like Agrippa:

" How Magicians Collect Virtues from the Three-fold Worlds is Declared in these Three Books. Seeing there is a Three-fold World—Elementary, Celestial and Intellectual.... Hence it is that they seek after the virtues of the Elementary World, through the help of physic, and natural philosophy in the various mixtions of natural things; then of the Celestial World in the rays, and influences thereof, according to the rules of Astrologers, and the doctrines of mathematicians, joining the Celestial virtues to the former ... "

" Magic is a faculty of wonderful virtue, full of most high mysteries, containing the most profound contemplation of most secret things, together with the nature, power, quality, substance and virtues thereof ... joining and knitting them together thoroughly by the powers and virtues of the superior Bodies.

" what Fire, Earth, Aire forth brings; From ivhence the Heavens their beginnings had; Whence Tide, ivhence Bainboiu, in gay colors clad. What makes the Clouds that gathered are, and black, To send forth Lightnings, and a Thund Wing crack; What doth the Nightly Flames, and Comets make; What makes the Earth to swell, and then to quake; What is the Seed of Metals, and of Gold; What Virtues, Wealth, doth Nature's Coffer hold.

" All these things doth Natural Philosophy, the viewer of Nature, contain, teaching us, according to Virgil’s Muse:

Whence all things flow—
Whence Mankind, Beast; whence Fire, whence Rain and Snow;
Whence Earthquakes are; why the whole Ocean beats
Over his banks and then again retreats;
Whence strength of Herbs, whence Courage, rage of Brutes
All kinds of Stone, of creeping Things, and Fruits ...

" It doth the Heavens^ Starry Way make known,
And strange Eclipses of the Sun and Moon;
Arcturns also, and the Stars of Bain,
The Seven Stars likewise, and Charles, his wain;
Why Winter Suns make towards the West so fast;
What makes the Nights so long ere they be past?
All which are understood by Mathematical Philosophy.
Hence, by the Heavens ive may foreknow
The Seasons all; times for to reap and sow.
And when ’tis fit to launch into the deep.
And when to war, and when in peace to sleep;
And when to dig up trees, and them again
To set, that they may bring forth amain."

But ... today's world is different ... I came up against this problem when I was Biodynamic Agriculture Australia prep maker and adviser. People would be concerned as some preparations require certain astrological configurations to be most effective and sprayed on crops or soil or into the air- e.g. like Saturn Moon opposition.

My advise was to follow the ideal time ... IF YOU CAN ... but if that is TOO difficult dont NOT do it until the astro time is right ... as you may never end up doing it. Not many people lead a wholly agricultural, non-industrial effected life-style nowadays ... nor a wholly magical lifestyle nowadays.

But I suppose you could get a planetrary hours chart and try it out against any old time.

I would be interested in your results if you did that.

Scotia

ravenest

You're absolutely right - very few can afford to lead a wholly magical life today and those who can ... often don't. I agree with the point about not waiting for perfect conditions too. It's one of those things that can get out of hand pretty easily. Astrology and timing should be (and is) an aid to so many magical and mundane activities but a small tilt in perspective and you end up not getting out of bed unless something & something aligned, and also this, that, and the other.

I'm just getting the times together for the most puzzling 3 - 4 spreads. I will start (as you always should!) with the moon. I don't know what (if anything) will turn up but I would go so far as checking the moon, major aspects at that time and, probably, any impact from same on my natal chart (it could be something that affects relatively few at any given time).

I think planetary hours might be better kept for spellworking and other more proactive projects - I would not dismiss them when looking at when to start an undertaking, but I'm not so sure of their effects when reading but I'm not ruling it out either.

Your work with the Australian group sounds fascinating - I've got to have a go at this - would the Saturn-Moon opp. be utilised to be rid of some unwanted vegetation? :)

I loved the verse too - thanks for taking the time.

Scotia

ravenest

Its more of a 'fertilisation', simplistically; The Moon 'draws in' 'cosmic influences' (represented or 'collated ' or 'gathered' by Saturn, given form and passed on to the Moon, then to Earth , at Saturn Moon opposition, Earth is between Saturn and Moon, its like standing on a radio telescope dish ... sorta.

Elimination of 'weeds' are more like an act of destructive magic, usually done by 'destroying its archetypal form' ( burning the seeds) during an appropriate astrological aspect, and dispersing the ash. With animal life pests, the same can be done (making an ash or 'pepper') this, being a different form of life, would be done at a different time ( say Venus Rx Virgo, or some similar aspects).

But simple weeding and other similar process should be done at the right time too (and one notices that then, they are a LOT easier to pull out ! )

http://www.biodynamics.in/Rhythm.htm

also interesting :

http://biodynamics.net.au/wp-content/uploads/1HowToUseAstroCalendar_v1403web.optim_.pdf

Scotia

Have now had a quick look over the conditions of the moon when the 4 most recent 'confusing' readings took place. I'll summarise:-

All of the readings took place shortly after the moon had transited a personal planet or a sensitive house cusp on my natal chart. (These transits would be the impetus for the readings and the subjects chosen for them.)

At the time of the readings, all of the moon positions were 'afflicted' by hard aspects from either Mars, Saturn, Uranus or Pluto. There were also a few soft aspects too but these tended to be cast from weaker planets.

3 of the readings took place when the moon was in the 9th or 10th degree of a sign. This is a very sensitive point in my natal chart but I don't see any wider implcations.

Conclusion - something and nothing really. I would say there is clearly a link between moon transits to natal planets, etc., and elective readings, and probably a link with any sensitive points on the natal chart.

I will keep an eye on this in future - for one thing I am a bit puzzled there is no Neptune involvement (perhaps that is part of the problem!) It may yet turn up something useful. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any "Grand Unified Theory" :)

Thanks to ravenest for the links also, lots of interesting information and I will peruse them at length.

Scotia

ravenest

Yes, after reading the first part of your post, I thought ; 'What about Neptune?'

Scotia

Yes indeed ravenst - What about Neptune :)

I suppose the next step is to compare 3 or 4 of the most successful readings but ... when I have time. It's really an ongoing project, albeit bubbling away on the back burner.

Scotia

Chanah

If you were using astrological divination proper, like horary, the ideal time to ask is when you've exhausted all other possibilities of getting information, and the question is vexing enough that you're losing sleep over it, or experiencing similar distress. Etteilla said something similar about seeking advice from the cards.

The nice thing about astrology is that there are considerations to judging the chart that will show up in the chart itself - it will tell you if you're likely to make a mistake, or that you need to be extra careful in making your judgement, or whether the question may be premature or too late to do anything about.

Sadly, I know of no card techniques that give you the same information, except the cards coming up an unreadable mess, or maybe you can read them but they make no sense in the context of your question.