To stone together or not

Little Eagle

Oops sorry i meant to say a 24 hour period

sagewriter

sharpchick said:
And remember that some stones, such as selenite (which only has a hardess of 2) and malachite, can be damaged or otherwise negatively affected by cleansing with plain or salt water. For the same reason, you wouldn't use a singing bowl with crystal points.

Hey there, I was just wondering how you use a singing bowl, and why not with points?

I have one, and have never been sure how to use it to cleanse my crystals.

Thanks for the help :)

Emeraldgirl

My stones are pretty much all together in the same cabinet. None seem to be complaining but they are grouped togetehr in terms of colour, family and hardness. As for cleansing I write down what I am going to use them for or that they are resting then I run them three times through the smoke of incense (any kind but I love sandlewood) and then I ring a bell over them to "wake" them up a bit. I was taught this method at a crystal healing course I did. Theer is also the option of moolight or sunlight cleansing which I do every full moon buy putting my crystals out to enjoy the moonlight. Also there is singing bowl and water cleansing but I don't do either of those as I prefer the incense.

sharpchick

sagewriter said:
Hey there, I was just wondering how you use a singing bowl, and why not with points?

I have one, and have never been sure how to use it to cleanse my crystals.

Thanks for the help :)

Swirling points around in a singing bowl (to make it sing) would very likely break some of the points - that would just be a little too harsh treatment for them. Polished stones, though, shouldn't be any problem.

As to the water cleansing of stones with a hardness less than about 7 or 8 - you can actually dissolve them or at a minumum soften the outer layer of stone. As has been suggested, you can smudge them with no problem. For selenite, I use moonlight to cleanse it. Charging it is not, IMO, a real issue, since selenite is already a very high energy stone and is used to charge other stones.

Sunlight can be used to cleanse stones also - there is a slight risk of fire danger with clear quartz lying in the sun and reflecting on any flammable surface, since the customary recommendation is to leave the stone all day in the sun. Just use common sense with this sort of thing. ;)

Some people also cleanse stones by breathing on them. I don't do that, since I'm a smoker. :smoker:

gregory

sharpchick said:
Swirling points around in a singing bowl (to make it sing) would very likely break some of the points - that would just be a little too harsh treatment for them. Polished stones, though, shouldn't be any problem.
I doubt if it would do the bowl much good though ? Mine is a lovely very old one I bought in Kathmandu, and if I did collect stones, I couldn't bring myself to risk the gorgeous resonance.... I'd never forgive myself if it became a silent or even a croaking bowl.... :(

sharpchick

gregory said:
I doubt if it would do the bowl much good though ? Mine is a lovely very old one I bought in Kathmandu, and if I did collect stones, I couldn't bring myself to risk the gorgeous resonance.... I'd never forgive myself if it became a silent or even a croaking bowl.... :(

I agree - if I had a singing bowl, new or not, I doubt I'd use it for my stones, but some do, and it's often mentioned as a means of cleansing stones, with the customary warning about points.

FantasyWorld

When I saw the 1st post about the signing bowls, I thought you'd actually put the stone in the bowl and then make it sing to cleanse it not actually use the stone around the edge........

BodhiSeed

When I want to cleanse my stones, I hold my singing bowl over them and play it; I don't put them inside the bowl or use them to play the bowl. When the bowl "sings" there is such an intense vibration that I'm sure it would damage the stones otherwise. I also use this method for cleansing my crystal skull collection.

Many blessings,
Bodhran

sharpchick

bodhran said:
When I want to cleanse my stones, I hold my singing bowl over them and play it; I don't put them inside the bowl or use them to play the bowl. When the bowl "sings" there is such an intense vibration that I'm sure it would damage the stones otherwise. I also use this method for cleansing my crystal skull collection.

Many blessings,
Bodhran

Just another reason I love this forum. . . I learn something new every day. In all the stuff I've read about cleansing stones with a singing bowl, I've never seen it described as Bodhran has.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective.

gregory

FantasyWorld said:
When I saw the 1st post about the signing bowls, I thought you'd actually put the stone in the bowl and then make it sing to cleanse it not actually use the stone around the edge........
WELL - I just got interested and tried this. It's OK - but the sound isn't up to par - there's a sort of sharp undertone, is the best way I can describe it. The stone (not a special one; I am not into stones, but it is a pretty polished one) is probably ever so cleansed though....