Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

Madrigal

And the Faeries' Oracle, with "gilded" edges.

Ink used was a Tim Holtz Distress Ink marker in the color called Wild Honey.

It's matte, not shiny/glossy, and pretty much a perfect match in color.

Gilded edges on the Heart of Faery oracle.

Ink used: Tsukineko Brilliance in Galaxy Gold, one coat.

I think it works great with this deck, not too bright of a gold.

These are both gorgeous and I love the attention to detail you've put into displaying them. Really lovely!

kalliope

misschismis, your altered TdM deck is wonderful! I've always been a fan of black borders, but I wouldn't have thought to add them to a deck! And your coloring of the backs is inspired and brilliant. Excellent job.

Laura, both of your edged Faery decks look great, too!

Madrigal

I just finished trimming my Witches Tarot deck, the Ellen Dugan version. The difference is amazing, made more dramatic because the borders were black to begin with and really cramped up the experience of each card. The images have been liberated! I'll come back and post some pics later.

This was my first experience trimming and I only screwed up one card which is now a bit uneven on one side. Bugs me but not enough to scrap the deck. It was one of the earlier cards I trimmed but I found my groove relatively quickly and the rest look great. Really, it's like having a whole new deck. Up next Enchanted and Druidcraft. The question with DC is whether to trim completely or trim to the natural border.

rwcarter

misschismis, your altered TdM deck is wonderful! I've always been a fan of black borders, but I wouldn't have thought to add them to a deck!
I added them to a RWS deck, which became the jumping off point for me completely pimping the deck. A couple of pics are indexed here in this thread, but you can see them all in the Pimp My Rider! thread here in Talking Tarot.

FLizarraga

Hi all! I'm in the process of modding my Tarot de Marseille (Bounty Books) deck. I've trimmed the corners and coloured the borders black. I think the black contrasts nicely with the pale yellow background and primary colours of the cards, and helps to make the images pop. Have also started colouring in the back design. Eventually I want it to be black and gold. Still looking for a decent gold marker - I tried a gold sharpie but the colour came out dull and ugly so I ditched it. I might have to use gold paint.

Hi there! What a nice work you've done! :thumbsup:

I strongly advise against metallic inks for the back, however. They work on a different principle than the regular inks, take much longer to dry and stay runny for a loooooooong time, which potentially means defacing your nice deck :bugeyed:. Try one of the yellow Tim Holtz Distress markers instead, Wild Honey or Mustard Seed.

Madrigal

Okay, here are some scans. They're a little off center but the cards themselves are nice and even :D

Attachments

• xXEgMg.jpg
    xXEgMg.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 464
  • VDRHEi.jpg
    VDRHEi.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 426
  • Ct3TuP.jpg
    Ct3TuP.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 397

FLizarraga

Okay, here are some scans. They're a little off center but the cards themselves are nice and even :D

Great work! :thumbsup: Can't believe it's your first.

You can try trimming DC to the regular borders and later, if you feel like going deeper, just get rid of them. Always a little more difficult, but not too much.

Madrigal

Great work! :thumbsup: Can't believe it's your first.

You can try trimming DC to the regular borders and later, if you feel like going deeper, just get rid of them. Always a little more difficult, but not too much.

Thank you :D I had fun doing it. I've started on DC and after looking at some scans decided to start with the just the outer borders. I don't love the corners, they look ever so slightly off due to the placement of that outer border in relation to the lower corners of the inner title. For that reason I think I'll likely go fully borderless but keep titles intact.

FLizarraga

Thank you :D I had fun doing it. I've started on DC and after looking at some scans decided to start with the just the outer borders. I don't love the corners, they look ever so slightly off due to the placement of that outer border in relation to the lower corners of the inner title. For that reason I think I'll likely go fully borderless but keep titles intact.

I do away with the titles almost every time, which sometimes works --Druidcraft particularly-- and sometimes doesn't --Navigators of the Mystic Sea is a particularly memorable instance.... :bugeyed:

Madrigal

I do away with the titles almost every time, which sometimes works --Druidcraft particularly-- and sometimes doesn't --Navigators of the Mystic Sea is a particularly memorable instance.... :bugeyed:

I just looked up NotMS on AT. I can see why you'd want to do away with those borders and titles. I took the plunge and decided to do away with all the borders and keep just the titles for DC. I'm trimming off that bottom green bit beneath the title, too. I'll post some pics when I'm done. It really does allow for more accessibility of the image. Not to mention I'll be able to shuffle these now :p