Trouble with The Heirophant

LaPrimavera

Thats definately a big help. Thank you.

re-pete-a

another look

we see in this card the worshiped and the worshiper,those that need to be led those that need to lead..........BUT,we also see that the throne is causing a blockage to the passage through to higher learning,at the feet of the hierophant we see a set of keys crossed, dare to approach , wrath.The keys are in the open , this is the way ,you must pass me!.....the fool would dare to approach.....
...............Tehueti,we like your view too...........Daddo 2000,ditto
________
Toyota caldina history

HoneyBea

What about looking at the Hierophant from a psychological point of view, then we may see that he reflects our need to understand life better, and what can be found is that he relates to our inner desires to raise ourselves above those conflicting needs we have to a higher level. So the Hierophant makes us turn out attention inwards in our quest to give purpose to our lives. He is one of the Teacher cards (the Hermit is the other) and he gives us that nudge to re-evaluate those values that have been ingrained in us since birth and by the society in which we live. What the Hierophant is saying is "look at these and work out for yourself what is true for you."

So LaPrimavera in relation to your quote
The main problem I face with this card is when it comes up in a reading about love and relationships. It typically comes up in a spot that describes either the querents or their mates feelings and it always confuses me.
what the Hierophant may well be suggesting here is to be true to yourself and follow those feelings that seem right to you and not what you think someone else expects from you.

~ HoneyBea ~

rcb30872

HoneyBea said:
what the Hierophant may well be suggesting here is to be true to yourself and follow those feelings that seem right to you and not what you think someone else expects from you.

~ HoneyBea ~
I agree. Also, in addititon to this, maybe it might signify going through the relationship process in a more "traditional" sense. You know, take things slowly, wait a certain amount of time before, well, you know }), or even waiting until you get married. Perhaps it might be along the lines that they would prefer to marry you, instead of living with you.

I also tend to view as that you need to take things slowly. I don't know, probably because of the association it has with Taurus, you know, don't like changes, and if there are going to be the changes they are the ones that are going to instigate the changes.

Or, it could simply mean ask for counsel from somoene else, or hold your own counsel, don't feel like you are being pressured into doing something. Do something because you want to.

re-pete-a

If we were to get that card concerning relationships we would see it as a don't go there, you'll be caught in a situation that will not allow growth,and could stifle and hamper your spirit/love evolvement. Examine your true feelings don't be talked into something that they say is the right way for you to go.Traditions can hamper growth.
________
RITALIN REHAB ADVICE

rcb30872

re-pete-a said:
Traditions can hamper growth.
I agree, here you would have someone who would have a certain way of being, because of traditions, as well as cultural and familial influences. In his eyes they are correct, he will stick to them, to try and talk to him out of it or try to persuade him of any other way would be a complete and utter waste of time. I have fallen into a trap of talking about evolution vs creation with someone who was highly religious, and well, we were both being the Heirophant in that instance. I believed in evolution and I wasn't budging, and they believed in special creation and they weren't budging. The argument was completely pointless and only being one huge headache. After that experience, I refused to even argue about it, or enter the conversation while someone else was arguing about it in front of me. It is a no win situation, I was not able to find a middle ground the first time around, and I learnt my lesson that it was just not possible to do so in the future. I have a fair idea of what are no-go zones when talking to certain people, as I find it would be pointless, and would only make you angry in the end.

The Heirophant can be seen as someone who is willing to impart what they believe, but not someone who is going to take on board what any one else believes in. They believe in a certain way is the right way, if that is the right way or not is another matter altogether, the thing that is important is that they believe that their way is the right way. That sounds like The Emperor, so maybe I am wrong

re-pete-a

rcb30872..........again your very close, the emperor, ,its the previous card,and yes the influence or element is in there,and notice the Hierophant is between the pillars,.One must work their way past these influences to progress,one STUCK at these points will block ,as your experience has shown,...You lucky thing you ,an experiential clarity!!!!!!!congratulations........tick that box.....
________
Bondage harness

trinity8

I asked a similar question about the Hierophant in this thread just recently, thought you might like to read it:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=92723

And you know, I think for me the Hierophant is about gradually moving through the external structures that bind us in life - school, employers, law, money, government, religion - until we come to a place where we can only operate from our own internal knowing.

I did see a book once suggested that it represents unusual and unconventional behaviour, and gave the example of gay marriage. That's at the end of my spectrum - coming from internal knowing of what's right for me without reference to any external authority.

re-pete-a

trinity8 said:
I asked a similar question about the Hierophant in this thread just recently, thought you might like to read it:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=92723

And you know, I think for me the Hierophant is about gradually moving through the external structures that bind us in life - school, employers, law, money, government, religion - until we come to a place where we can only operate from our own internal knowing.

I did see a book once suggested that it represents unusual and unconventional behaviour, and gave the example of gay marriage. That's at the end of my spectrum - coming from internal knowing of what's right for me without reference to any external authority.

Thats what we've been saying,the necessity of moving through...........also we've learnt that the Rx is what you've learnt,,unconventional,like poets ,artists,etc
________
DIRTY TALKING LESBIANS

HoneyBea

Teheuti said:
For instance, Waite says he's "the ruling power of external religion . . . the power of the keys, exoteric orthodox doctrine and the outer side of life which leads to the doctrine. . . . the *summa totius theologiae* when it has passed into the utmost rigidity of expression." He is also institutional Grace rather than Natural Grace. For Case, this card represents seeking guidance by listening intuitively to the voice of the Higher Self.

Combining the two perspectives we have a sense of listening to the moral voice of "Conscience" as it has been developed through our social-secular and spiritual teachers and guides (and being careful that this hasn't rigidified into a fixed dogma).

Mary

This is a good explanation of the Hierophant and I thought it might be nice to actually look at the symbols to see how they give us this message.

So with your indulgence I thought I would take a look :)

A man sits between two gray pillars (Waite says they are not the same pillars as the High Priestess") grey is a colour made up of two other colours, opposites, black and white - so perhaps he sits between them here to show that the spiritual and the physical can be united through him (just a thought). The Hierophant wears a triple crown and this crown has three nails that project from the top of it - referring to Mr. Robert Place in his book Tarot, History Symbolism and Divination he says of these three nails "they represent 'Christ's Passion'" and goes on to say "he is one with Christ consciousness" - I can see where he gets that from, the nails that held Christ to the cross. - This we can take to mean I think manifesting spirituality within the earth plane, or put another way bringing spirit down to earth.

At his feet we see the keys of St Peter symbolising here heaven and hell and his hand is held in the sign of the benediction - Waite says of this sign "with his right hand he gives the well-known ecclesiastical sign which is called that of esotericism, distinguishing between the manifest and concealed part of doctrine. It is noticeable in this connexion that the High Priestess makes no sign."

At his feet are two tonsured priests, the tonsures may well symbolise here that the would-be priests have now given up worldly ideals. One of these priests is wearing robes with roses and the other with lilies - now the red rose could well represent here desire, passion and loyalty to the Hierophant (teacher) while the lilies may represent knowledge and renunciation...... is the Hierophant marrying these two aspects together here I wonder.

Again Robert M. Place tells us that "he wears a pallium, a white band around his shoulders and down his front, with three crosses in a vertical row down the center. At the base is a diamond, a symbol of the fourfold physical world. This is like the central column of the Tree of Life, a theme repeated by the Hierophant's placement between two equal pillars."

Qabalistic Path: 16: 2 Chokmah to 4 Chesed - Translation of this Path: The Wisdom of Mercy

Chokmah is position 2 in the Tree of Life and is associated with the word
Wisdom - It indicates ones ability to use rationale and logic to make the choices and decisions in life.

Chesed is position 4 and is associated with the word Mercy and from what I can understand it represents opportunity for growth and the rewards for those challenges we can overcome. It indicates the positive results we gain from thoughts and actions and shows where we must exercise compassion.

In my book Tarot Companion by Tracy Porter she says " This pathway connects sephira Chokmah and Chesed. The energy of the Hierophant combines wisdom with mercy to provide the traditional pathway to religion via churches and other similar institutions. This pathway enables us to come to God via the more traditional route of a priest or holy person who intercedes for us because we are not yet ready to approach God ourselves."

Another interesting point that she makes is that although we possess all we need to have oneness with God we prefer to give over our power to the priest because then we hand over the responsibility for our actions to that person. - This indicates to me following the doctrine blindly rather than finding our own truth.

The Hierophant also carries a three cross scepter and I have read elsewhere that this may well represent the creative power of the three worlds, the divine, spiritual and material.

What the Hierophant seems to represent here is the exoteric aspects of religion as opposed to the High Priestess who represent the esoteric.

I still think he tells us that freedom may be acquired through knowledge, but also indicates as Teheuti said above ^^ "this card represents seeking guidance by listening intuitively to the voice of the Higher Self.

Combining the two perspectives we have a sense of listening to the moral voice of "Conscience" as it has been developed through our social-secular and spiritual teachers and guides (and being careful that this hasn't rigidified into a fixed dogma)."

So perhaps he does ask us to raise our spiritual awareness here but also to form for ourselves what is true rather than blindly following the teachings of society within which we live. I go back to my statement in my previous post about this card in which I said "relates to our inner desires to raise ourselves above those conflicting needs we have to a higher level. So the Hierophant makes us turn out attention inwards in our quest to give purpose to our lives."

~ HoneyBea ~