Unbreakable Rules

Anyankah

There seem to be a number of questions people ask along the lines of "am I allowed to do this?", and they're generally answered by "of course, do whatever you like."

But there are some things people seem to generally seem to see as bad ideas, like repeatedly doing readings on the same question in a short period of time.

What do people see as unbreakable rules?

Papageno

did you ever do a series of multiple readings for someone in one setting?

I once did (at the insistence of the querent) about 6 readings for a (former) friend who was/is very unhappy, to put it mildly.
despite the change in phrasing, he was basically asking (in his own mind) the same question over and over again, looking for the answer he was never going to get.

each and every time, the sig card came up 9 of swords. this is a true story.

it was really something for me to experience as well.

I don't like tarot rules, I don't believe it's good for people not to push the envelope and make mistakes. you learn a lot from mistakes. mistakes open doors you would otherwise never open and some of those doors reveal good things too. and tarot rules don't apply to everybody in the same way.

Stormwitch

This is my one and only rule I think, if you could call it that.

Anything that is ill mannered, rude, inconsiderate, demanding and ungrateful on this side of life - is also the same on the other.

In other words you treat the deck, the reading, the people involved here and in spirit with respect. So for me that would apply to multiple readings on the same question.

FaeryGodmother

My one unbreakable rule when reading for someone else is to never let my sitter walk away feeling worse then when they came before me. At least not if I can help it. So I don't tell people they are hopeless, or losers, or idiots even if i privately think that. i will find something positive to say or offer advice on how to make things better. In a nutshell, the unbreakable rule is- don't make things worse.

Rosanne

FaeryGodmother covered the question for me except in two areas. Don't lie to the querent and respect the privacy of the reading, by not passing on information to other parties, in cases where the querent will be recognised ~Rosanne

Sulis

FaeryGodmother said:
My one unbreakable rule when reading for someone else is to never let my sitter walk away feeling worse then when they came before me. At least not if I can help it. So I don't tell people they are hopeless, or losers, or idiots even if i privately think that. i will find something positive to say or offer advice on how to make things better. In a nutshell, the unbreakable rule is- don't make things worse.

Rosanne said:
Don't lie to the querent and respect the privacy of the reading, by not passing on information to other parties, in cases where the querent will be recognised

I think that FaeryGodmother and Rosanne have said what I think of as unbreakable tarot rules.
Another one is to trust the cards. Don't second guess them because they aren't saying what you expected them to say.

ana luisa

Not really an unbreakable rule but rather common sense. It´s NEVER a good idea to read when you´re physically weak or unbalanced. The bonding is usually compromised.

franniee

I agree with all of the above and I would like to add - that when I see something very sensitive in the reading that I know will upset the querent or they may not want exposed, I tread lightly erring on respect for the querent. I usually get the message across but i try and do it as easily as I can.

It is my number one goal to have helped them and for them to be positive when they leave not distroyed!

I had a reading once where the reader left me crushed and destroyed! Cost me $300 and thankfully nothing ever came to pass and this has been over 10 years ago.....so when I think of rules I remember everything she did and I vow to NEVER do that to anyone! (not that I could ever be capable of such cruelty~impossible) but just incase I take my time and I am careful.

The crowned one

Don't lie, and don't make things up to please the querent.

sweet_intuition

My Unbreakable Rules

These are some rules I've formed over the brief time I've been pro:

1. Make sure the querent is comfortable in every which way possible. A little effort, like offering herbal tea with honey goes a long way.

2. Before beginning a reading, ask the querent if they have anything to ask about the tarot, or whatever service you are offering to them. If they do, answer it honestly, without using too many complicated 'technical' terms.

3. Interpret the cards in a clear concise manner. Make sure you can relate the cards to the querent, and always ask them if they can connect to what you're saying. (Some querents keep mum until the reading is done, only to say that they couldn't really find any accuracy in the interpretation).

4. Never ever scare the querent. The tower doesn't always mean that they are going to suffer a breakdown, The Devil doesn't mean they're cursed to suffer in hell, and Death doesn't mean "DEATH".

5. Even if the above three cards do appear in a reading, interpret them in a way where the querent understands their severity, but is empowered enough to face the obstacles they present whole heartedly. An empowered querent is a happy and satisfied querent.