Unicursal Hexagram

Sedi

Lillie said:
Oh, you lucky thing!

I have always wanted to see the northern lights!

I never have.
Perhaps one day I'll get it together to go north!

I am not trying to go off-topic, merely offer some hope. . .

I live in Bristol and I notice you live in Wales (so maybe even further north than me). In 2001 we saw the aurora from our back garden. It filled nearly 1/3 of the sky. Despite being a keen amateur astronomer I wouldn't have been looking that night had not another astonomer friend over in Aylesbury (same latitude) phoned to tell me!

Like many other times in your life, keep your eye on the heavens, but watch where you are walking :)

Lillie

It's the little white borders on the back I hate.

I used the old style for so long that the backs never look right with the white edge.

Oddly, I do like the front border.
Though I think the writing is too dark on the newer versions.
And I like the names that everyone always calls 'keywords' (wrongly)

One day, if I get a big one with the tree magi, I might trim it.
Otherwise I'll jut go on using the old style.

Bristol!
I'm not so far from you. South Wales.
I missed it!
Damn. I'm narked now.
Oh well.
I shall live in hope.

Julien

Lillie said:
And I like the names that everyone always calls 'keywords' (wrongly)

I've been thinking of them as 'names', too -- I've never been keen on keywords -- restrict one's intuition, I find. I don't use them for any deck... ;) Thge Unicursal Hexagram is interesting, then, as it's "nameless" in the deck... Kind of a cool way of thinking about the power it suggests...

Julien

Lillie

They are names. Given by the GD, and the messed with a bit by Crowley.

Like the 2 of Swords is 'The Lord of Peace' and so on.

They go with the Trump names like 'The Priestess of the Silver Star' etc.
And the court names, which i can never reemember properly.
Lord of the Rushing Winds and stuff like that.

I have always loved them names.

But yes. The hex is nameless.
Poor hex.
I shall call it George.

AbstractConcept

I love the 'Lotus of the Palace of Floods' title that the Princess of Cups has. it sounds so regal and bombastic.

I have felt ripped off having not gotten a hexagram in my deck. I got the deck with the two rejected magus atu's. A hexagram card would have been excellent instead of the silly advertising US Games threw in.

Aeon418

AbstractConcept said:
I have felt ripped off having not gotten a hexagram in my deck. I got the deck with the two rejected magus atu's. A hexagram card would have been excellent instead of the silly advertising US Games threw in.
Ripped off!!! Trust me you ain't missing much. I use mine as a book mark! :laugh:

gregory

Lillie said:
I shall call it George.
No - it's Fred. :D Like all the spiders in our house - and the same shape. (I will get back to you (was it this thread or the other) about the OTO cards....

Lillie

AbstractConcept said:

There are two versions of the 'extra cards' thingy.

Because a tarot deck is printed in a 8x10 matix it has spaces for 78 cards plus two extra. Which are sometimes used and sometimes not.

With the Thoth you either get the extra two magus', or the Hex and the OTO card. (with the very old ones you only get the OTO card.)
It's always one or the other. Never both.
The older hex decks have the red hex on the back background and no white edge.
The modern one has a rainbow coloured hex on a black background with a nasty white edge around it.
Because of reasons I won't go into here, the deck with the rainbow hex is by far the most common, especially in the large size. (which size is yours?)

Ther advertising card, in this case, is neither here nor there. It is not one of the 'two extra', as they are the magus'.
So it is, in fact, an 'extra extra'!
These advertising cards are very useful, Bookmarks or roach.

Don't feel ripped off. Some people want the deck with the magus'. Perhaps you could do a swap.
Or if you really want a deck with a hex they can be got off ebay pretty cheap. If you don't mind second hand.

Gregory.
Fred? Are you sure?
I asked mine what it was called and it just sniggered at me.

Aeon418

Lillie said:
There are two versions of the 'extra cards' thingy.
I think a lot of people buy a brand new Thoth deck not knowing whether they will get the two reject Magus cards or the Unicursal Hexagram card. But it's very simple. The standard size deck (purple box) comes with the reject Magus cards. The large deck (green box) comes with the Hexagram card.

The moral of the story is, you get what you pay for. If you don't want to stump up the extra bucks for the large deck you can't cry foul that you didn't get a Uni Hex. Life's like that. :laugh:

Lillie

You used to be able to get the 3 magus' in the large size in the blue Muller boxes.

But they stopped that, didn't they?
Now all the large are Hex + OTO.

I heard it was because the OTO themselves decided that they didn't want the 'reject' magus' put out anymore (as they were not the great mans final decision for the card), and that the hex and their own statemnet was what was 'proper'.

But if this is the case then why are they still allowing it in the smaller size?

If all the versions have to get the OK of the OTO, who 'own' the rights to the deck and the final say as to it's appearance, I would have thought that they would be consistant...

Or are they trying to get everyone to buy two decks?
Cos I have 4 and none of them have the extra magus' in. :(
And I like the kneeling on best.
The greek one looks like he's simpering.

Or am I wrong about who 'owns' it, and why things are the way they are?

Anyway.
The publishers should be clear about what is in the box as most shops won't let you open them up to have a look.
Just printing the right info on the box, that's not too much to ask, is it?

Oh yes! A reasonable and simple solution.
That is far too much to ask, these days!