Universal Tarot book by LoS

Eeviee

Apparently Lo Scarabeo came out with a companion book to their Universal Tarot deck...
Has anyone read or seen this book?

I'm curious as to what kind of content it might have...

rwcarter

I'm pretty sure the Universal Tarot came as a set at some point cause my ex had it. Don't remember details about the book though.

Eeviee

I'm pretty sure the Universal Tarot came as a set at some point cause my ex had it. Don't remember details about the book though.

Looking through some threads on the Universal Tarot I think I remember seeing that it came like that as well... Kind of a shame it doesn't anymore. While HTF, I have managed to drudge up some copies available; but am hesitant to buy without any indication of it's content...

Lee

oops sorry please delete :)

gregory

There is a book by Filadoro; I bought it separately. ISBN is 9788883954863.

It comes up on abe, among other places. I don't remember ever seeing the set....

Oh sorry - didn't answer the rest of this. 160 pages. It has a lot of detail about the cards' symbolism, a bit of history (saying firmly that we get to decide for ourselves which of the various theories we believe :)) and brief sections about the structure of the major and the minor arcana.

I think it's quite a good guide to the deck, myself, YMMV.

Eeviee

There is a book by Filadoro; I bought it separately. ISBN is 9788883954863.

It comes up on abe, among other places. I don't remember ever seeing the set....

Oh sorry - didn't answer the rest of this. 160 pages. It has a lot of detail about the cards' symbolism, a bit of history (saying firmly that we get to decide for ourselves which of the various theories we believe :)) and brief sections about the structure of the major and the minor arcana.

I think it's quite a good guide to the deck, myself, YMMV.

Do you think it's worth $18? lol.

Eeviee

I just snagged the book off eBay for $5.13 including free shipping.

Nice. =]

Unfortunately, I don't do eBay; I've heard too many horror stories, I just don't bother with it.
Also, I don't buy used... =/ I'm slightly [read: MAJORLY] OCD with people and hand-washing... Used books are a no-no for me. lol.
Yes, yes... I *KNOW* new books are handled by people; from the publisher, from the distributor, from the packers-of-boxes... I just pretend they're not: Less hands/Less use = less germs. o.0;

Richard

Nice. =]

Unfortunately, I don't do eBay; I've heard too many horror stories, I just don't bother with it.....
You can reduce the odds almost to zero of generating another horror story, merely by analyzing the sellers' ratings. I have used eBay for many years without any unpleasant incidents, but it requires a certain amount of vigilance.

2dogs

I bought the box set of cards and book after reading another book that used the images. The book is very keen on the idea of Tarot as a spiritual path, "a journey towards rediscovering ourselves and our deepest inner energies" and goes some way into esoteric and magical ideas. As well as a divinatory meaning for each card, it also points out some features of the image and explains two or three of the symbols, and goes into deeper teachings in the "Arcanum" section. These can be quite far away from what you'd find in beginners' books, e.g. 3 of Pentacles "Any work with physical material is unconsciously a magical act of divine nature", the Devil "incarnates that thirst for existence and that instinct for conservation that has allowed us, as a race, to come out of the clouds of the unmade world". On the whole I would say it can be quite thought provoking in places and encourages the reader to think more about what might be going on behind the scenes of the world we normally see.