US Media Mail Shipping issue for Tarot deck/book sets

sunflowr

karen0205 said:
Hi everybody!
Just thought I would share what happened to me with the post office so it doesn't
happen to anyone else with worse results.

I just received a brand new sealed deck/book set from a seller in Washington.
It was shipped Media Mail. She thought that since it had a book in the set
it would qualify as Media Mail. It does Not.
The box was opened and inspected at her post office. It was forwarded to me but with postage
due of almost $5. It also included a letter from the post office that I am attaching here.

I was lucky they didn't confiscate it. They can take the items if they decide you are
trying to abuse the media mail option.

There has to be ONLY media items in the box or it doesn't qualify as media.

Just letting everyone know because media is used a lot for deck/book sets and I would hate to see someone lose their items over a few dollars.

Oh wow, I didnt know decks don't count as media. I was under the impression any printed matter was "media". I sent a deck this past week using Media, and have a few times in the past too. NEVER have had problems, and I am sure (hopefully!!) that my past buyers would've told me if their stuff was delivered damaged or anything.

Still though.. I guess thats the last of "media mail" I ever send out. Eeeks. Good to know though!

Debra

I had the same experience sending magazines--"no advertisements" said Tom the Postmaster.

Jeannette's post (copied by Gregory) is 4 years old. I believe things have changed.

flying black kat

I used to send my packages thru regular mail. I had a package that the person I sent it to was so damaged that everything was ruined. Now when I send a package thru the USPS, I use Priorty Mail, with insurance and confirmation of delivery. Priorty Mail is handled differently. It goes in a seperate truck and delivery system and never becomes part of the regular mail. It costs more but since I started using Priorty Mail I have not had anything damaged or opened. I would rather pay extra then have anything destroyed again.

I have had trouble with my regular Post Office lately. My order from Tarot Garden sat in the Post Office for 4 days, and no one put a notice in my box. The first time I asked about the package I was told it never came. Thankfully Tarot Garden used a tracking number, which I printed out and took to the Post Office with me. When I showed them the printed notice that the package was there, they all of a sudden found it. The box was damaged. I was asked all kinds of questions by the clerk. I have had this box since 1994 and never had any trouble until then. Since they have noticed that I get Tarot Cards thru the mail I have had trouble and problems with my regular mail.

So now I send my packages to my son's box in the large Post Office that is the distribution Post Office for our area, and I take my Proirty Mail packages I am mailing to them.

Be at Peace.

Kathy

PS I hope this is ok to post here, if not, I am sorry. Please feel free to remove and place where it should go.

weaver

Debra said:
I had the same experience sending magazines--"no advertisements" said Tom the Postmaster.

Jeannette's post (copied by Gregory) is 4 years old. I believe things have changed.
Back to pulling my last couple of Tarot deck listings off Amazon. Anyone for a Kalevala?!!! :laugh:

Sue

karen0205

flying black kat said:
I was asked all kinds of questions by the clerk. I have had this box since 1994 and never had any trouble until then. Since they have noticed that I get Tarot Cards thru the mail I have had trouble and problems with my regular mail.Kathy
You should contact the post master and file a complaint. That's ridiculous that
you should have to go to another post office in order to get your mail.
It's none of their business what you are getting in the mail and if they
choose to make it their business, they should be reminded that it's not by their boss. You should file a formal complaint.

MomentoMori

To bad somebody at the post office must have wanted to make employee of the month generaly as you guys know the postal clerk will ask you what you are mailing when you ask for media rate, i have mailed tarot decks out in the past and told them(postal clerks) what i was mailing was a tarot deck/set and they took and and that was that, it depends on the clerk i guess or sometimes they just randomly inspect,but the only reason i ever thought it was okay to ship tarot decks via media was because i have recieved them via media mail from sites like amazon and buy dot com in the past how do they get away with mailing tarot decks media mail?

MomentoMori

Priority Mail rates went up about two weeks ago and the cost for stamps is going up soon (again) and they want to stop delivery on Saturdays.

:heart:Cara

Cara i believe saturdays will be safe as far as mail delivery the post office is more looking at cuting out tuesday or thursday those are considered the lightest mail days but yeah the post office as been trying to cut saturday for years and tears now LOL

floracove

karen0205 said:
You should contact the post master and file a complaint. That's ridiculous that
you should have to go to another post office in order to get your mail.
It's none of their business what you are getting in the mail and if they
choose to make it their business, they should be reminded that it's not by their boss. You should file a formal complaint.

I totally agree, and wouldn't that be considered tampering with federal mail?
That should be a crime whether or not someone is employed with the PO, actually you would think they would be fined for such, much more than a everyday run of the mill mail tamperer...

I'm glad you started this thread Karen, I had no idea.
Of course, I've only sent books by media mail.
Anytime I have other things in the box, I go Priority as well.

floracove

MomentoMori said:
Cara i believe saturdays will be safe as far as mail delivery the post office is more looking at cuting out tuesday or thursday those are considered the lightest mail days but yeah the post office as been trying to cut a day for years and tears now LOL

I wonder if Thursday or Tuesday are one of those days when they bring nothing but junk mail.
I hate those days...

Oh, lets just chop down trees and then mail them to everyone, so they can throw it all in the garbage!

MomentoMori

floracove ,you're probalay right save some trees and honestly i would not mind the post office cuting a day (as llong as it was not saturday which is what they tried last time) if they would cease raising rates.