Waite v/s Crowley

Fulgour

My feeling has always been that reading is interesting,
and it is also interactive, we digest what we read too.
So all in all someone wanting information will get some.

Waite's book, and I do believe this, and it excites me,
was probably always popular because of the pictures.

I think thousands of people did homemade Tarot decks
using the illustrations. Cutting, colouring, and pasting.

Gregorio

I think that in my first response in this thread I misunderstood what it was about, thinking that it was the Crowley Thoth deck VS the Waite deck - sorry. I this is about the writings of the two men and their contribution to the study of occult knowledge then there isn't much comparison. Crowley by far made the most important contribution. He was one of the most gifted practitioners of ritual magick the world has known, and his writings in the field are considered classics. He remained quite prolific write up to the time of his death and lost none of his genius and flair. Read MAGIC WITHOUT TEARS (written during the last three years of his life and published posthumously) for an excellent example of Crowley's knowledge and wit.

Original Destiny

Its got to be Waite cos you can get "hire a wet turd award" from his name
Crowley, best i can do is " a secret wily role"

Sophie

it's very simple

Crowley wrote this: Every man and woman a star.

(among many other extraordinary things).

Waite never wrote a line that made me soar like that - and changed my vision for good. And his writing style is such that I am not too inclined to find out more.

Little Baron

Original Destiny said:
Its got to be Waite cos you can get "hire a wet turd award" from his name
Crowley, best i can do is " a secret wily role"

That really made me chuckle.

LB

ravenest

sweet_intuition said:
An example would be, in a work of sex magick, crowley spoke of a ritual involving "eating babies"... to the uninitiated, it would sound repulsive, but to those who read between the lines, would realize that it just meant swallowing the semen during oral sex.

Oh dear, oh dear, heaven forbid if people are going to draw THAT interpretation! It sounds like the teaching of a ceratin very suspect 'magical teacher' I heard about, who also taught that it wasn't good to have sex with 'non-initiates'.
[He considered himself an initiate of course, as well as the women in his group, but none of the men.]

caridwen

Helvetica said:
Crowley wrote this: Every man and woman a star.

(among many other extraordinary things).

Waite never wrote a line that made me soar like that - and changed my vision for good. And his writing style is such that I am not too inclined to find out more.

I don't think much about either chaps to tell you the truth but I do know an Oscar Wilde poseur when I see one;)

ravenest

Gregorio said:
He remained quite prolific write up to the time of his death and lost none of his genius and flair. Read MAGIC WITHOUT TEARS (written during the last three years of his life and published posthumously) for an excellent example of Crowley's knowledge and wit.

YES Gregorio! Those that keep repeating this story that Crowley became some type of heroin destroyed blithering idiot in his old age should read this book and take into account how old he was when he wrote it.