Waite's Second Tarot Deck - Originals Discovered

kwaw

Waite made a bequest of a set of these images and accompanying text to the British Museum (i.e., the British people), which suggests he did not see them as belonging solely to the FRC but rather to the public—or at least anyone who cared enough to discover and work with them.
#
That's interesting - I wonder if they are available for viewing!?

Thanks Teheuti.

Teheuti

#
That's interesting - I wonder if they are available for viewing!?
They aren't on-line but I'm pretty sure that if you can get a reader's pass you'll be able to see them.

starlightexp

I think that a real in-depth study of the kabbala along side the images would be a very interesting read, but just a superficial this-is-how-to-use-this-in-tarot might come off as a bit shallow considering the whole depth of the paintings.

I wonder how one gets a pass to see them at the BM.. hmmm

TaliTarot

Waite-Trinick Research and Publication Project

Hello All

Thank you for your interest in our discoveries and publication project. We’ll be releasing more information shortly, however please can we say that whilst we did indeed discover original sketches, paintings, plates and texts at the British Museum, these are subject to stringent copyright and licensing before they can be published.

They have actually been there for almost 40 years.

It is these licensing and copyright issues - in addition to in-depth research - which we have been navigating for the last year. We have already agreed a photography and licensing fee with the British Museum, and cleared – to our knowledge – the several copyright issues surrounding the reproduction of the images.

You will appreciate it is a delicate matter and we will be completing this stage of the project shortly, with a view to publication by December 21st 2011. If you would like to assist us towards the publication, our funding drive is at:

url removed by Moderator

In the meantime, we will answer some of the questions raised as much as possible on my Blog over the coming weeks. I have discovered a great deal about the images, Pippet and Trinick, and some fascinating new material.

blog removed by Moderator

Tali Goodwin

Debra

What was found on e-bay?

I have read your blog, Tali, and also Mary's. I don't see where the sources of these images that you plan to publish are described. Are they from Trinick's family? (Or a different family??) The British Museum? E-bay?

That's my question.

starlightexp

My question is still why not just go ahead and publish all 32 ?

graspee

I don't understand why you are asking people to give you money for the costs of getting the book made, and then you sell the book, it seems quite expensively, and keep the profits yourself. Do I understand this correctly? It seems mad.

I'm also unnerved by what I see as a lack of a guarantee that even all the 23 images of majors plus one will be included.

I'm pleased to see that Waite put the images in the British Museum so anyone could access them. It shows he agreed with me that the whole world should have access to these images, and makes the modern day FRC's "condemnation" of their publication more confusing.

Mind you, the more I hear about the publication of the images, the more I'm moving towards a condemnatory position myself.

TaliTarot

Final Clarification

Hello Graspee

To clarify - and this will be clear on my blog as we progress towards final publication, we are not asking for funding assistance publishing the book. We have been running a campaign to raise funding assistance for the costs of photography and licensing to have professional images taken and an academic publication as approved by the British Museum. This will ensure the images from that source are properly published along with our own source.

Waite did not place the images in the museum - this was done 30 years after his death. We have also investigated a range of copyright issues and other sensitivities and are working our project within our understanding of such issues.

At present, we are looking to put several thousand pounds in ourselves for any shortfall in licensing fees once the funding drive is complete - this was not, and will not be in any way a "profit" making activity for us. Our intent is to publish these images for future scholars and interested parties.

The book will be published in as high quality as possible and as there will be a *full* set of images - both from the British Museum source and our own source - with our additional research - this will be self-published to ensure it is as affordable as possible, given full-colour full-page plates. We have also agreed with the museum and other parties the proper conditions under which publication can take place.

All further clarification and updates will be made available on my blog as our project progresses, and we look forward to providing information. In the meantime, anyone who is interested in assisting the proper publication of these images is welcome to make contribution.

Tali

starlightexp

Sorry if all of us have a lot of questions here, but the $15,000 seams like a ton of money to be asking people to donate (at $250 an image as the website states that means that were getting close to 50 plates then right?) Since it is a non for profit are we getting a statement as such that if we do make a large donation we here in the states can take it off our taxes?

As for being privet press to make it cheeper I find that fascinating since a lot of small press runs that I've looked into have been very expensive. Is the book going ahead even if the donations don't hit the mark? I would think that some place like US Games and LS would be behind this given the potential far reaching effects. LS has done wonderful full color books on their tarot at very reasonable prices to people.

Any work on if the FRC will give their blessing to the project since the images were intended for there studdies and enlightenment ? I think that a lot of us here will feel better knowing that the images don't come tainted with the bad karma of being yanked out of a religious society's hands with them not really doing it willingly.

True none of these questions deal with the images themselves but as none of the images are out to talk about we can't really focus on them but rather the ethics behind the project. Once those are cleared up then maybe more will come on board and pitch in. Tarot is a tight knit community and bad blood can spread pretty wide so here is to hoping that what looks like a tide of bad energy can be cleared up before the publication hits.

Debra

To clarify - and this will be clear on my blog as we progress towards final publication, we are not asking for funding assistance publishing the book.

This gives a different impression from the fundraising page (linked in post #12):

"With your assistance we can publish a book of Tarot images..."

"With your help, we can publish a book of high quality images, relatively quickly, prior to December 31st 2011."

It's a bit confusing.