wedding rings other than diamond

morticia monroe

My wonderful man and I have been together for almost 7 years. We have spoken of marriage on more than one occasion but I always seemed to balk. The truth be told, I've been married twice before and the last one really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. He has never married.

But he has proven himself to be a wonderful partner who is more than worthy of my love, respect, and trust, and we'll be marrying sometime this year.

When he asked me to show him what I'd like in a ring, I found myself looking at diamonds yet again and they just seem to all look the same. I began looking elsewhere and found a website called thenaturalsapphirecompany.com, and they have the most beautiful sapphire solitaires.....

I am wondering if any of you chose stones other than diamond for your wedding sets, and are you happy with the choice?

floracove

Hi Mortica, I don't have one, but I think emerald would be a nice choice for a wedding ring gemstone.

I wrote some articles here.

(I'm not advertising for them, they never paid me for my work, but there's some good info in these articles I wrote.)

just a bit about rings.
Adding the colors to your bridal jewelry from your bridal theme colors is always a nice touch, since there are gemstones of every color of the rainbow, choosing a complimentary gemstone to enhance your bridal jewelry is always an exhilarating pleasure. An engagement ring containing your birthstone is considered to bring good luck to the bridal couple. Diamonds and pearls remain popular all through the years and they come in their own array of colors and are a delight to wear long after the day of your wedding. There are so many styles from which to choose your bridal jewelry, while creating an elegant look and feel to your bridal accessories.

I think the idea of birthstones is precious!

HearthCricket

I have a diamond ring because it is what I love, but remember, diamonds only came into vogue during the 20th century. Plain gold, sapphire, ruby, garnet, were all common for engagement/wedding rings. The two most important things to think of is what you like (not necessarily following the fad) and the hardness of the stone so it lasts. Diamonds are strong. Sapphires and rubies are next in line. You can get quite a variety of colour in sapphires, too, including natural ones. Emeralds are lovely, but they contain a lot of fractures, so be careful. Same with topaz. Pearls and opals are lovely, but very fragile. Shop around and see what holds up and get a strong setting for the stone, itself. And enjoy it! :)

6 Haunted Days

Oh yes.....I've always had a deep love for blue sapphires. I have a 1 and 1/2 carat gorgeous middle/deep blue sapphire with 2 small asscher cut white diamonds on the side. The band is engraved platinum. The whole piece I put together/designed myself...I love antique/vintage rings!!

I'm sure you know, but use of the diamond as a wedding ring is fairly recent....yellow gold as well.

That's why so many vintaege rings you see are different type stones in white gold/platinum. Princess Diana's ring was a gorgeous huge sapphire surrounded by diamonds, I've included a picture of it :)

So whatever stone/stones you choose, go with it.....it's an ancient tradition.

And congratulations!! :D

Attachments

• 85_Dianas_engagement_ring_1.jpg
    85_Dianas_engagement_ring_1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 153

Michelle

I have a wide gold band in between two emerald and diamond anniversary bands. Diamond is my birthstone and emerald is my husband's.

I say choose whatever you are drawn to :). Congratulations !!

Sonic

:bugeyed: When my better half calls me in the morning..and wants to know WHY there is a mount, and a separate stone link in his email VERY soon..I'm sending him straight to your email address! LOL

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :heart:

willowfox

White diamonds always seem very bland,but if you like diamonds then go for a coloured.

Sapphires are great but I recommend the light blue, cornflower blue not that awful dark blue. Green sapphires are not so nice, neither is the yellow but a good pink is lovely and so is a purple.

Emeralds are expensive for the lovely pale green types without loads of flaws.

Aulruna

Dear Morticia,

your story is very similar to mine. My dearest proposed on our 7th anniversary, and I had always been reluctant because of my previous marriage. While my ex and I are still on quite good terms, some of the faith and enthusiasm for the institution had gone out of me, and I found I was doing just as good without it.

It is however his greatest wish, and I know what we have is different from everything I've ever had before, and I'm now very happy with my decision to say yes.

My engagement ring has a lovely coloured diamond, it is amber and has a wonderful light. Fancy diamonds can be absolute beauties (I'm not a fan of the white ones myself).

My best friend has a triangular black star sapphire in her wedding ring and this is also stunning, though it makes the form of the ring rather unconventional, i.e. it doesn't look like a wedding band.

We are also looking for wedding rings at the moment, and I personally favour bi-coloured celtic knot bands at the moment, with no stones at all.

Congrats honey, you will be so happy :D

BodhiSeed

(((MM))) - Congratulations!
I do not have a stone at all; I have wear a silver band and a gold band. The gold band reminds me of my commitment to my husband and the silver band reminds me of my commitment to myself.

Best wishes!
Bodhran

phoenixblu

my friend wears a uncut sapphire and my mother wears and emerald....

i think its a really unique choice :)