What am I doing wrong?

bittersweetlife

Thanks everyone, I will do 1 card a day from tomorrow onwards. I used to do more as I'm trying to learn about combinations. Pretty freaky I got the devil and magician twice in one week and both days I majorly screwed up!!

I do them at the beginning of a new day (I phrased it like that as I dont have a normal 9-5 job and sometimes my day begins at 1am) and try at the end to revise an re-reflect.

Trogon

Daily draws are a very good way to (as WalesWoman said) learn the nuances of the cards. A card can be very literal (as in one reading I did for a friend in which The Chariot reversed came up for "near future" - her brother was slightly hurt in a car wreck the next day). Sometimes they can be rather metaphoric. Today for my "middle of the day" I drew the 6 of Wands ... all victory, right? But you know what ... after the battle is won, the victor is sort of resting on his ... er laurels. And that is the way this day is going ... there is nothing happening (a good thing for a police dispatcher, btw).

So, when you do your single draws, write down your first impressions. Then go back at the end of the day, revisit what you wrote down. If it fits, then you did a good job of interpreting it. Perhaps you got some nuance slightly incorrect (like the "victory" in the 6 Wands, being an "after the battle" type of thing). Read up on the ones you feel you missed something, contemplate on how the meanings fit how your day went, rather than focusing on how it seemed wrong.

Daily draws can be very good learning tools. One of the biggest things to learn from them is that the basic "meanings" of the cards are only a starting point.

divinerofcards

IMHO - I think you are 'overdosing.' You don't need Tarot to tell you what is going to happen every hour of every day. Life has to happen, or as John Lennon said 'Life is what happens while you are making other plans.'

I think a one-card pull 'theme' for your day is enough information to deal with and process. If you are a beginner in Tarot, you are being blind-sided by TMI.

I'm throwing my opinion in behind TarotBear. I once left a man because he wouldn't go out the door in the morning without my pulling his cards. It actually became quite a dependancy - sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. There is no point to it, and it's an energy-sucking waste of time. It is TMI. Just saying.

If you really feel you need to forecast yourself (which I've never done, so, for what it's worth) I would say that a good restraint would be once a week.

Personally I have read my own cards about 10 times. Most of those times the answer was the same and I didn't listen anyway - which didn't help my situation.

:p Toni

Grizabella

I haven't read all the posts. The comment I want to make, though, is that since you're just learning, you may not be able to recognize what the cards are saying so you might miss the way they're applying to your day. Just keep a written record and review it now and then as you continue learning and it will probably fall into place better for you.

namesoftrees

Hi bittersweetlife,

maybe try this. Spend a little longer on forming a question that you can't answer. Try putting aside some time, and think on what is happening for you, and think of a question and then answer it for yourself. You might be surprised to find that an answer pops into your mind, and you can reform or specify further with your question. Keep doing this until you're sure you can't answer your own question... This is something I did when I was learning.

If you really just want to ask "how is this day going to go for me?" It's possible that you might be able to answer yourself.. eg: I'll be journeying and then I'm nervous about so and so... so then you can focus on whatever is more pressing.. Ultimately you might feel about just right to do a spread with a question like:
"How is this day going to go for me with regard to my feeling about (the person or event)?"
If you are specific in your question, it might make a lot of sense more easily.

Also, if you are specific in the role your card plays too, so you could do a daily one card reading for 'things to learn from' or 'the underlying energy of the day' or 'opportunities today'.

I find this helps to focus interpretation. I think it's a lot harder to interpret three cards with a- "Cards what have you got to tell me?" kind of feeling.

All the best.

ThunderWolf

I also would like to add my voice to tarotbear's. I think I may be repeating what others have said, here, but I'm hoping that by reframing it I might be adding something to the conversation. I believe someone mentioned that the information may be so trivial that you're overlooking it in the course of your day (or something to that effect).

It seems to me that if you're drawing a card for advice for each day that is bound to happen. How often do we need the advice of the cards just to get through an average day? Not often!

When you ask something so unnecessary of the cards you never know what you might get. You may not be getting advice that will apply to the whole day. It may be something that applies to one little moment throughout the entire day. I've even known the cards to get a little snarky with me when I'm asking something unnecessary of them. Usually in a case like that I will get an answer that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. ;)

Carla

Spend a little longer on forming a question that you can't answer. Try putting aside some time, and think on what is happening for you, and think of a question and then answer it for yourself. You might be surprised to find that an answer pops into your mind, and you can reform or specify further with your question. Keep doing this until you're sure you can't answer your own question... This is something I did when I was learning.

If you really just want to ask "how is this day going to go for me?" It's possible that you might be able to answer yourself.. eg: I'll be journeying and then I'm nervous about so and so... so then you can focus on whatever is more pressing.. Ultimately you might feel about just right to do a spread with a question like:
"How is this day going to go for me with regard to my feeling about (the person or event)?"
If you are specific in your question, it might make a lot of sense more easily.

Also, if you are specific in the role your card plays too, so you could do a daily one card reading for 'things to learn from' or 'the underlying energy of the day' or 'opportunities today'.

I find this helps to focus interpretation. I think it's a lot harder to interpret three cards with a- "Cards what have you got to tell me?" kind of feeling.

This is really good advice!