What artist would you want to create a tarot deck?

blackroseivy

Just saw "John Shannon", & thought: How about John Lennon? ;)

Sophie

Oh dear, where to start! First with 2 already mentioned: Marc Chagall and Frida Kahlo. Not together ;) (although why not?) - but both brought something very new and significant to 20th Century art and both were slightly marginal as artists (Chagall as a shtetl Jew, Kahlo as a Latin American woman), yet managed to impose their art. I have no idea how their art would look on tarot cards. I suspect Frida Kahlo's would be more suited because she painted small paintings, very detailed, on smooth steel.

Next with a glorious classic: Jan Vermeer. He didn't leave the "right" kind of paintings for a tarot - not even a set of majors - so we would have to ressucitate him and give him the commission. Given when he lived, I would have him paint 22 Majors, and 56 unscenic minors in any style he fancied. I think he would have brought a special illumination and "every day magic" to tarot.

This observant and tongue-in-cheek artist merits a deck...Grandville...oh, but wait a minute...he is having one ;)...

Among the contemporaries, Oswaldo Guyasimin might make some astonishing imagery for tarot -I'd love to see his "Hands of Fear" series translated into arcana - although he paints huge canvases, so it might be a challenge to get him to paint small.

In a much lighter vein, the cult comic artist Zep - a local boy made good! - and his Titeuf might give us an irreverent deck :p ;)

Chris Ofili, the British artist of Nigerian parentage, who made everyone gasp with the elephant dung he added to his witty canvases would no doubt make a very zany deck ;) For you Londoners out there - he's showing at the moment in the Upper Room of the Tate.

Finally, a Pre-Raphaelite deck would be beautiful - I am surprised none exist! - as would a deck made up of Medieval illuminations of books. Without trespassing on the ground covered by the Golden Tarot, I think some careful exploration would bring us some marvellous medieval imagery - energetic, funny, dark, deep and very eloquent, as was so much of medieval imagery.

Junia

danubhe said:
Just saw "John Shannon", & thought: How about John Lennon? ;)

Great idea danubhe--as long as I don't have to look at John and Yoko nude (the cover of "Two Virgins" album) on the Lover's Card--LOL. I guess we know who the Devil would be--like Lord V. in the HP Series--I don't utter his name.

blackroseivy

Maybe I'm dense, but I can't even hazard a guess...! Nixon, maybe??

WHOOPS - I was thinking about his LIFE. I think I know who you mean... Man, that WAS dense!!! :p

Moonchild1721

I would have to say Norman Rockwell.
Samantha

seule

Kandinsky. I'd like more abstract decks generally.

crazy raven

Many artists are my favorite. William Blake is one for his eccentric psychology and of course his strange combination of artist and Hebrew prophet.

Rembrandt too is also a favorite. As his work progressed you no longer saw a mere mortal but the spirit, the divine, the immortal fire in the portrait of every man and woman. His painting showed spiritual depth as well as insight.

Crazy Raven

lunakasha

I would love to see a deck based upon the stories and characters of Charles Dickens. I remember reading several of his books in high school, and A Christmas Carol is still one of my all-time favorite stories.

:) Luna

Sophie

crazy raven said:
Many artists are my favorite. William Blake is one for his eccentric psychology and of course his strange combination of artist and Hebrew prophet.
You're in luck. There are still a few copies left (from the creator) of the astonishingly beautiful and well-conceived William Blake Tarot of the Creative Imagination - Ed Buryn's deck that comes with an excellent book. If you love Blake (as I do!) you will like this deck.