What do you expect from a professional Tarot reading?

What do you expect from a professional Tarot reading?

• Total voters

Annabelle

I voted for forecasting and revealing. Because really, if I want insight into something, I'll just ask my close friends, and get advice for free. Or I'll take a walk in the woods and meditate and figure things out. I don't need the cards for that stuff.

No, if I'm going to pay for a tarot reading, I honest-to-goodness want to have my future foretold.

gregory

I went for guidance for decision making and creative brainstorming. Sure I can talk to friends - but they will have preconceived ideas, just as I do about them. }) NOT prediction, though. I don't want cards to do that, and I have this THING that anyway, hearing it will change things and invalidate the prediction.

aranarose

I expect honesty, and accuracy. No sugar-coating, no telling me what you think I want to hear. If I come to you and ask if my marriage is going to survive, you say, "Oh, yes, honey, you're meant to be together, this is just a rough spot for you," and he moves out two weeks later because he finds out his girlfriend is pregnant, you can bet your butt I'm not going to go back to you, nor am I going to recommend my friends to you. And when the Three of Swords is in the outcome position, and you tell me that it just means a rough patch.... true story!

If you see a crappy couple of months ahead, tell me. I want to know. If you aren't connecting with me, tell me so I can go to the next reader. I've read for a lot of people, and I know quite well that there are some people that I just cannot connect with for whatever reason. Don't be so out for the buck that you'll read for anyone regardless!

I expect depth. I want to know what you're seeing and why you're seeing it. I want a different perspective than I've gotten already. I want you to slap me in the face with the reality that I'm not seeing.

I don't pay for readings very often, because I haven't had all that much luck getting accurate readings from paid readers. I've had some spout one lie right after another. I've had them do the, "Oh, it'll be okay..." routine with me, even though I sat right there and saw all icky cards that said anything but it was going to be okay. When I go for a reading, it's to figure out what I'm not seeing, what I'm missing. Not what I'm hoping for, but what really is.

gregory

aranarose said:
When I go for a reading, it's to figure out what I'm not seeing, what I'm missing. Not what I'm hoping for, but what really is.
THIS ! Exactly this.

Not that I have ever actually had a paid reading... :|

Rev_Vesta

For me personally..... I would expect Spiritual Guidance, Insight and definately Integrity, honesty and compassion from a reader..... also I would like to feel empowered in the information given to me.. empowered to make the neccessary changes to move forward on my journey......

Amanda

I chose forecasting, insight, and spiritual guidance... because I'd like a professional reader to tell me something I don't know. :D I'd rather think to myself and make my own decisions after the reader tells me what they see. I guess I like my help a little less helpful... as far as discussing things and creative brainstorming and all that. Just tell me what you see, and then leave me to my own devices, thanks. :D

Debra

When I've paid to have cards read, I get everything except what I really want, which is "forecasting" and "revealing hidden facts." :p

IheartTarot

Thanks for all the votes and comments. Part of the reason I set this poll up is because I find it very difficult these days to find a professional reader that offers me what I want and I don't want to pay for something that does not help me one iota. I believe readers should be more clear about what they offer and sitters should be able to assess what is on offer before they pay. If a reader does not say, we should be able to ask if they offer x, y and z as applicable. (However, I have had several cases where the reader was in a big hurry to get my money and then told me no they can't do that even though I specified upfront that is what I wanted. This is one of the reasons I prefer to read for myself if I can. :( )

I did make up the list quite quickly off the top of my head so I would appreciate hearing if anyone thinks I left something important off the list.

IheartTarot

IheartTarot said:
I'm not sure I follow your point in the context of this poll. To clarify, you should only choose the possible options that you personally might expect if you paid someone else for a reading. This thread is not the place to debate the validity or merits of any of the options.

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my wording here. I welcome comments from voters but this is not the place for people who haven't even voted in this poll to debate what Tarot can or cannot be used for. There are plenty of other threads for that in this forum. There is even a poll on whether people believe that Tarot can predict the future here.

IheartTarot

Rev_Vesta said:
For me personally..... I would expect Spiritual Guidance, Insight and definately Integrity, honesty and compassion from a reader..... also I would like to feel empowered in the information given to me.. empowered to make the neccessary changes to move forward on my journey......

Thanks Rev_Vesta! Would it be accurate for me to describe your Other vote as counselling or life coaching? (Darn, I knew I left something important out! :D )