What does shuffling mean to you - clearing or infusing energy?

buddhagoddess

I was shuffling my Haindl this morning to do my daily spread and I realized that when I shuffle I am finding it more "comfortable" to see shuffling purely as a cleansing action and then hold the shuffled cards in both hands and meditate to infuse them with my query?

How do you perceive shuffling? A cleansing action only or do you ask your query while doing it? It just doesn't feel "right" for me to do both at the same time.

Thoughts?

Alta

I usually make my query first and then shuffle. Dunno why though and I don't see it as a ritual, though now you mention it, I guess it might be. Shuffling tends to clear my mind as much as anything.

goddesscarlie

great question! I think when I am preparing to do a spread, shuffling is "infusing" energy. However, I also shuffle my cards a lot with out preparing for a spread/asking a query. I figit alot, I have to be moving, and so shuffling is something I do - and I guess in these situations it is like I am cleansing or clearing the deck.

Grizabella

I shuffle so I know I'm not going to be so likely to get exactly the same cards in the next reading or that, if I do, they're specific to the next reading not just popping out because I didn't mix the cards up well.

MareSaturni

Shuffling helps me to focus, to center. And also helps me to make sure the deck is 'chaotic' enough, so i won't know where this or that card is.

~YUKO

Jewel

I do think about the question while I shuffle, but the act of shuffling itself is all about mixing up the cards for me.

Sakura Murasaki

I think that it seems to both cleanse my cards and infuse them with my energy when I shuffle. It certainly helps me connect to the cards when I do my readings. :)

Tansey Ella

edited

Elnor

I shuffle before a reading to focus, help me to concentrate on my query, (if I'm doing the reading for myself) and then I usually give the cards a bit of a shuffle before I put them back in their box to give them a bit of a cleansing from the reading(s) I've just done.

Elnor

FaeryGodmother

I tell my sitters its to get "their" energy on the deck. In reality, like others have mentioned, its just to mix the cards up properly so I don't get the same cards as the last reading.