What happend if I remove the court cards in my readings?

Daimayo

Hi all...

Well, I has been studying the relation between the KABALA (Hebrew oral tradition) and tarot.

Many aspects seems to be clear for me, the first 10 cards of each suit represents the 10 sephiroths of the tree of life, and the 22 majors are related with the paths that link the 10 sephirots. I have some troubles relating the 4 court cards of each suit... because don't fit in the tree of life itself... some texts talk about of four divisions or "planes" that the tree can be split.

Anyway, I want to ask... what happend if do I try my readings without the 16 court cards of each suit??? what would be the pros and cons of do that???... I heard about some people that only use the 22 majors in theirs readings... and people that only use the four complete suits, without majors... I would remove the 16 court cards I believe that I could see more clearly, but I'm not sure... maybe the number of cards is truly important in the art... maybe all the 78 cards must be there for it works well...

can someone help me about this point please?

Thanks for advance :)

Andrés

catlin

Don't worry, Daimayo, just have a try and please keep us posted how was reading without court cards.

Daimayo

catlin said:
Don't worry, Daimayo, just have a try and please keep us posted how was reading without court cards.

So, that means if I remove the court cards from my deck a thunder will not fell from the sky and blow me in pieces???... uf... ok... jajajajajajaja... thanks catlin, you are right, I must just try it, if don't work I will have my answer :p

Maybe I just did want to know if someone tried to do this before... to do it with more trust... but is true, I only need to try :)

I will post how going on with the experiment :)

Andrés.

catlin

Andrés, you'll have my word as practicing Celtic Wicca and bruja that the Gods of Tarot won't smash you for removing the courts (unless you pack them tidely back to the deck afterwards).

In fact there is the Prager Tarot which is just a 56 tarot deck.

Sulis

Personally I love the court cards and I couldn't imagine reading without them, it would be like taking out one of the suits.
That said, if you prefer to use no courts then go for it and see what happens.
There is actually a deck without court cards out there; The Oracle Tarot by Lucy Cavendish - here's a link:http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/oracle-tarot/

Love Sulis xx

catlin

Arrghh, Sulis, you terrible enabler!!! Now there is another deck on my wish list *sigh*

tarobones

Tarot and the Tree of Life

Might I suggest a wonderful book that deals specifically with the Minor Arcana and the Tree of Life? It's "Tarot and the Tree of Life: Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana" by Isabel Radow Kliegman from Quest Books. It's the best I've seen on the subject. It approaches the Court cards through the horizontal divisions of the tree or it's realms. BB, Michael

tieduptinkerbell

my take

Daimayo said:
Hi all...

Well, I has been studying the relation between the KABALA (Hebrew oral tradition) and tarot.

Many aspects seems to be clear for me, the first 10 cards of each suit represents the 10 sephiroths of the tree of life, and the 22 majors are related with the paths that link the 10 sephirots. I have some troubles relating the 4 court cards of each suit... because don't fit in the tree of life itself... some texts talk about of four divisions or "planes" that the tree can be split.

Anyway, I want to ask... what happend if do I try my readings without the 16 court cards of each suit??? what would be the pros and cons of do that???... I heard about some people that only use the 22 majors in theirs readings... and people that only use the four complete suits, without majors... I would remove the 16 court cards I believe that I could see more clearly, but I'm not sure... maybe the number of cards is truly important in the art... maybe all the 78 cards must be there for it works well...

can someone help me about this point please?

Thanks for advance :)

Andrés

The court cards in my oppinion would be the 4 planes of existance...or the 4 stages of life....The court cards in my oppinion always represent us...not just something happening to us. Its something in us in the natural...or physical...even soulish realm. I have always thought the Higher Arcana were spiritual lessons we have attained...an imprint if you will into our spirit of that particular card. For instance. If I have drawn the Empress in one of my readings, its usually to remind me of who I am. That I am all things equal...the balance of the 4...(breaks into song...I'm every woman...) Which would make sense that they are the connectors...the lines between...The stability of the rest of the numbers.

But court cards are about ourselves when dealing with a situation or layout to do with us...I mean this is insight to yourself...so why would you draw a card about another person( i suppose we could but if you are looking for balance within it starts with you...not someone else.) SO if we assume the court card is about us. Then what is the card. THe Pages are the Spirit of the Suit. They are the youth and the influence of something new. They are the 'peter pans' A transitional link from one place in life to another. They are associated with the element of earth. The Knights are the Seekers...they show the speeding up of events...momentum...They show stamina and energy and are associated with the Element of Air. The Queens show how you deal with situations and the forces(spiritual emotional soulishrealm) that motivate you at the time. Each Queen is also a part of the Empress who emcompasses our whole personality...all the suits...so it can show where there is an inbalance. The Queens are associated with Water. The Kings can show again how you deal with things, but instead of showing the motivating FORCES...it will show the INFUENCES( people...situations...power...money) that motivate you. The Kings are also found in the Emperor, so again...look for imbalances...The Kings also show how you may respond to the surrounding cards. They are associated with Fire.

Long winded...but...needed to say this to give you my point.
If you spread indicated a block in the 5th chakra for instance...then I would look at the connecting cards to show your strengths...how you have come to that place to begin with (look for higher Arcana cards and Court cards) And if it is a court card...look at what it is telling you about your personality...If you pull all Pages for instance...maybe what that is telling you is that you catch the current, but you bail too soon to follow through, or you stay too long in a situation which begins to be stagnant and saps your energy, cause it was only supposed to be for a time....then apply it to what the block is ...or what you see around you.

Did that make sense...?

I definitely think they are tuners...fine tuners for our personality...

mtnmermaid

Try it and see what happens and if it doesn't work for you, then you can always put them back in, no harm done. That's how I was with reversals, I tried them for a while, didn't work very well, so I don't use them now. I used majors only for a while too, just to see what that was like.

You never know til you give it a shot.

rainwolf

I believe that the king/knight is in the sphere of chokmah, the queen is in the sphere of binah, the knight/prince rules spheres 4-9, and the page/princess rules malkuth. Check out "Understanding the thoth deck" to read more about this.

In other decks, the court cards have an important influence. In the Navigators tarot, the court cards represent the bridge which connects minors to majors. I can't remember exactly how it was phrased so I'll have to read up on that.