What Is Your "Go-To" Deck?

iAmRiotEyes

Yep. What is your "go to" deck? The deck that never lets you down, your favorite, the one that is clear as day and deep as night? The one that you would mourn and grieve over if you were to lose it?

porcupines

My RWS deck, hands down.

beekie

I loooove my Pagan Cats deck! My very first deck was the Mythic Tarot. Then I got the Guilded. Both were nice but I couldn't connect and I eventually got to lost and confused in my readings. I found the Pagan Cats and just fell in love. I'm a cat lover, so it was easy for me to click with this deck, plus I'm like a little old cat lady, only with this deck, its actually like having 78 cats :) Just shuffling and handling this deck puts me in a good mood.

Padma

Yep. What is your "go to" deck? The deck that never lets you down, your favorite, the one that is clear as day and deep as night? The one that you would mourn and grieve over if you were to lose it?

Mine...changes as I age, change and grow. It was, and still is, to some point, my Connolly deck -though it is *definitely* NOT as deep as night! lol! But it is clear as day :) lately my faves have been the Golden Tarot and the Housewives. :) I am sure that will quickly change!

Chiriku

I don't have a go-to deck for myself; I have, instead, a small subset of my large collection that includes decks that suit specific moods and purposes (a Tarot de Marseilles, some modern non-scenic pips deck, some multicultural decks, an Etteilla, the Thoth, the RWS and close descendants, etc ec). Having a small cadre of diverse decks that have already proven their value to me allows me to pick a deck based on whim/mood and know that it will give a good reading.

For my in-person querents, the deck that they most often pick when given a choice is the DruidCraft. For that reason, I will always have a copy near at hand, and it is the first one I grab when on my way to give a reading to someone whose taste I may not yet be familiar with.

punchinella

Any TdM. I have to say it was something of an acquired taste though; learning to appreciate and read with TdM took time, and is an ongoing process. But there are subtleties to last a lifetime.

There will always be a soft spot in my heart for Shining Tribe as well. This is also a deck which never fails me.

nikkipeachy

Right now, Revelations. It was gifted to me from one of our wonderful members, and I connected with it the first time I touched it.

callistoluna

I have several decks I use regularly and they change depending on my mood and what I'm reading for. Currently my go to deck is the Shadowscapes tarot - it's on my altar all the time. However I also have a Deviant Moon tarot deck that goes places with me :)

WolfyJames

I've been using the Tarot of Vampyres exclusively for over a year, except for that Thoth exchange we did recently. I don't understand why some people change of decks depending of their moods. I always use the same deck.

My first copy of this deck was ruined by water and I was really really upset. Good things I had just bought a backup a few weeks before when it happened so I had another copy to use. But the new one didn't feel like the old on the moment. So I've bought a third copy and I want to buy a fourth just in case.

Chiriku

I don't understand why some people change of decks depending of their moods. I always use the same deck.

For the same reason I change up my choice of food depending on my mood. Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.

Using the same deck all the time has a certain romantic appeal to me. I envision the cards developing a silky patina from age and over-use, edges nubby and corners battered. They would be "mine" in a sense that I've never felt for any of the decks I rotate, even my favorites.

But ultimately, I know I'd grow as claustrophobic from using one deck all the time as I would from eating my favorite food for every meal, every day.