What kind of body of water do you think lies behind the viewer of the Moon card?

moriquendi

In the Rider-Waite deck and, to a lesser degree, on the Thoth deck, when you look at the Moon card, you are looking from the point-of-view of someone within water and looking into the card.

I'm curious as to what kind of body of water this is and the different implications each would have in interpreting the card. It seems as if, if one could look behind oneself in the card and see if an expansive ocean, rushing river, or traversable creek it may influence the viewers thoughts about the path ahead of the viewer.

What do you think?.......

Thanks!!!

.traveller.

Sometimes I read it as being in the middle of a swamp, but at other times it feels more like an ocean or sea.

Rabbit

Well, logically thinking, atleast I think I am...to me it has got to be an ocean because of the lobster climbing out. However the card being small, it doesn't seem like an ocean. But what am "I" standing on if I am only seeing what is infront of me? And is there logic to tarot cards?

Simone

Ooooh, makes me think of the Ur-ocean, when the first animals came to land, becoming aware of lunar cycles.

When you are living in the midst of the sea, chances are you don't notice so much of it, the light of the moon being weak.

What they noticed was the sunlight, days growing longer and shorter, stronger and weaker - the yearly cycle.

When they came out, they discovered a cycle within the cycle to which all water is subject.

Made a god(dess) of the moon because they could not explain its mysterious ways...

Nowadays, the moon's influence is well studies and decrypted, but its mysterious side remains, all the more because there is a "dark side of the moon" which we never get to see unless we travel around it...

kwaw

.traveller. said:
Sometimes I read it as being in the middle of a swamp, but at other times it feels more like an ocean or sea.

I was looking at some images of medieval miniatures today in the library. One showed the Egyptians being swallowed up by the sea. The Chariot of the Pharoah had on it the emblem of a lobster/crayfish similar to the Moon card. Text didn't explain the connection between lobster/crayfish and Pharoah, anyone here know?

Kwaw

Tarotphelia

I like to think of it as the river Styx at the gates of the underworld.

(Aren't I cheery?)

Rabbit

Actually Dark Inquisitor, I like that!

Floss

I agree - it's that limitless 'wellspring' of the unconscious which is part of all of us, but the part that is hidden from view - and we can't know it or ever see it clearly - just sense that it's there ... hmmmm!

Mystic Leo

Interesting when you look deeper into the symbol meanings of the cards.

Different readings I have refer to a pool, others a murky pond and others the ocean.

Symbols refer to River......flow of activity
Swamp......frustration, situation with no quick fix
Ocean......overwhelming problems require group effort to solve
(pool) Lagoon......self deception....fantasy

ShaktiOm

In my Hanson-Roberts deck, the water looks like a marsh or swamp, and the lobster looks a bit like a crayfish. Maybe it's somewhere in New Orleans? (just kidding).

It really does look like a spooky swamp, though.