What makes a good reader? Does gift play a part?

Noob

Hi

I have been wondering. Does one need to be gifted
To read the tarot accurately?

Is it possible that someone could be good at picking cards but not at interpreting them while someone could not be intuitive at picking cards but good at interpreting?

I personally find interpretation very tough.

What makes a good reader? Is it possible that someone who is very accurate for another person is not accurate for you?

Regards,
Noob

CrystalSeas

A good reader is one who can consistently* provide useful** information to you each time they read for you.

*consistently: not just once, but most of the time
**useful: information that helps you manage your life in a way that provides more joy

It really doesn't matter if they are "gifted" at picking cards or reading cards or interpreting cards or choosing spreads or whatever technique you want to examine. The issue is whether your life is better from engaging in a transaction with them.

Para

Yes, displaying a gift helps. Especially if the reader has testimonials that describe and display the gift and provides consistent responses and information inline with the client.

Barleywine

As far as the cards go, they basically "pick" themselves, so I work on interpretive skills. I'm not sure it makes me a "good" reader, but when I read for others I try to cultivate openness, integrity, kindness, empathy, honesty tempered with mercy, and a touch of humor backed up with solid knowledge of the cards, occasional flashes of intuition, a good grasp of language, strong communication skills and a storyteller's ear for just the right turn of phrase or metaphor. All of which comes with years of practice. If you're only reading for yourself, work on your knowledge base and intuitive sensitivity together (learn to trust your "inner ear"), since they're inseparable in getting the most out of the cards.

At least for me, intuition isn't "on" at all times, it comes and goes as it will, usually arising from some nuance in the dialogue and then subsiding, throwing me back on my analytical skills; that's where the "knowledge" comes in. Of course, it works the other way too. Inspiration, imagination and ingenuity go a long way to produce insight when intuition falters.

LeFou

I think anyone can read. Just be awake, breathe, dream, ponder the lifecycle of flowering plants.

JoannaCrystal

Hi there 😊

I'm not gifted (I think) but my intuition had become a lot more stronger than it was when I first begin using the Tarot!!

For me a great tarot reader focus on helping the querent create his/her own destiny through the guidance that tarot can provide!

Usually I focus all my readings on advice's and orientation than possible future!
And for me that's the true magic of the tarot! Is not just all about the future.. Not even close! Is all about the guidance that it can provide in order to help you or the querent to make changes in their own lives and to understand how they can achieve their dreams! 😊 it's all about guidance and less fortune telling!! 😘

Enviado do meu A0001 através de Tapatalk

Padma

I think mostly, one just needs to be very good at *listening*. And then, conveying what one hears, through all of the senses.

Grizabella

I have been wondering. Does one need to be gifted
To read the tarot accurately?

Everyone is gifted in many ways but not all people are gifted with reading cards or having strong psychic abilities. Learning to recognize and having the courage to use our gifts is the key. Even those of us who have strong intuitive (psychic I believe) gifts need to learn card meanings and interactions among groups of cards plus we have to cultivate the ability to "hear" the message given by the cards above and beyond just reciting rote card meanings. I don't believe one has to consider themselves gifted to read the cards. Many, many people here who read cards phenomenally well don't consider themselves to necessarily have a gift.

Is it possible that someone could be good at picking cards but not at interpreting them while someone could not be intuitive at picking cards but good at interpreting?

A good reader is a good reader, whether they draw the cards themselves or not. I'm not sure I'm understanding this question but I don't believe there's such a thing as someone who can read the cards well but doesn't choose the cards well and vice versa.

What makes a good reader? Is it possible that someone who is very accurate for another person is not accurate for you?

Although I have a pretty good track record with giving readings that are relevant to what's going on in the sitter's life, I don't aim to be accurate. I aim to be helpful and to find the message the cards mean to give to the sitter without personal bias. I say "I aim to" but that doesn't mean I'm always successful. :) I can be pretty biased---or come across that way---so every once in awhile I get called on that. Not within my readings but just in general. In my readings I try to "just stick to the facts, ma'am" like that old TV show detective used to say. :p

ETA: I forgot to answer one of your questions here---yes, it's entirely possible that what one reader sees in your cards "accurately", another reader won't, but most readers see similar things in each spread, even if they're different cards. The message is often essentially the same. However, it's my belief that as readers, we only see in the cards what we're given to see. Sometimes we're not the one who is supposed to carry a certain message for that sitter and in that case, then we won't see it in the cards.

As far as the cards go, they basically "pick" themselves, so I work on interpretive skills.

Barleywine's whole post was good, but this first sentence of his sums it up for me, too. No matter who picks the cards, they're the cards that are meant to come up for that spread and my job as a reader is to be able to read the cards as truly as possible so I can give my sitter the most appropriate answer based on those cards.

Most of us who have read cards for years are still embarked on a never-ending education. I feel safe in saying that for others here and certainly for myself. For me, there never comes a time when I say, "Well, that's that. Now I know all I need to know."

Noob

Hello grizabella, barleywine, padma, lefou and joannacrystal,

Thanks so much for all these thorough insights and lending your experience to help me understand

Apologies for a short reply for now as I'm about to board a plane. Will reply more tomorrow.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to tArot. Truth be told. Someone once claims that as a tarot reader, you are vulnerable to spiritual attacks. For this reason, I have always been afraid to get my feet too wet.

Is this true and how do you prevent getting your space invaded by unwelcome spirits

violetdaisy

I'm either A) Not gifted or B) Gifted and I don't know it :))

I've had another reader tell me I'm an empath and that's why I feel things so strongly - well, I used to feel things strongly, that's true, so maybe others can pick up on that who are used to picking up on that sort of thing. However, I was functioning poorly in that state so got help. Hence the A or B options above.

I'm definitely not psychic, nor a person who can communicate with spirits like a medium does - at least while awake. So I'm not gifted in that way. I think I'm a pretty good reader - sometimes so/so and other times eerily coincidental things happen after the read so *shrug* dunno.

I do know that *life experience* for me has helped A lot. Combining card study with (I guess) intuitive interpretations & your life experiences can make your readings improve. I do agree that if a person is a medium or psychic that doesn't necessarily make them a good card reader.