What's so great about the Jacques Vieville Tarot?

Le Fanu

euripides said:
There is a tradition of female sun-deities with the Norse deity Sol being a female charioteer, but I haven't observed any other Norse connection with this deck, not that I've studied it in great depth yet.
There's Boudicca? But I also think it is probably male even though this deck does have a few notable ambiguities, like what appears to be two boys marrying in the Lovers card.

My guess is the face on the shoulders must be traced back to a kind of protection in battle.

kwaw

She looks female to me too:

There are also female charioteers on some of the early painted decks.

lark

Every time I pull this card it reminds me of one of those cut out boards where you put your face in the hole and have your picture taken..as the strong man...or the fat lady...or the donkey.etc.
This whole card has the feeling of a play to me ...the Chariot has no wheels and I can just see those two guys inside the Chariot body with their faces sticking out of the cut out holes, and there hands stuck in some material feet puppet fashion.
Pretend prancing like horses....while the guy up top acts out a very exaggerated chariot driver play role.

strings of life

Finally. I finally managed to pick up a Vieville. It was a last minute evilBay snag, at a time when I wasn't even looking for it. I suppose that's the best way. I waited on my computer, sort of astonished that the price didn't inflate in the last few seconds. I placed my bid 5 seconds before it ended and closed my eyes. I was the only other bidder. $36. That's much less than I thought I'd ever pay. The deck has never been used, but the box has some wear. It was apparently used as a prop. Love a deck with a bizarre history, ha! Meant to be mine that one.

I've always been attacted to the slightly pecular details and decorations I've seen on the cards via online photos. And I have finally opened up to the freedom of reading with unillustrated Pips. This thread and a few others have so much information :thumbsup:. I'm particularly interested in Debra's thread: Vieville through a beginners eyes. Anyway, just wanted to revive the this thread. Now I have to wait for it to arrive. It looks old, mystery, dramatic and quite curious.

Moonbow

Excellent find aurarcana, its a wonderful deck for studying, and using for readings. I always wonder that the Vieville hides something in its images which if known would uncover so much about Tarot History. I don't mean that there are occult symbols in it, but that if we (I) could spend the time studying properly, commit the time and research, that it would uncover so much. Its often described as 'quirky' and that's because it has detail which isn't found in most other decks so you have to ask yourself why, and there lies lots to delve into.

Le Pendu has written about this deck here on Aeclectic and his enthusiasm about it is infectious.

Herzog

Congratulations. And what a great price. The Vieville is my next long term deck. I plan on spending several months getting to know it... can't wait

strings of life

Herzog said:
Congratulations. And what a great price. The Vieville is my next long term deck. I plan on spending several months getting to know it... can't wait
I'm deep into my studies with the Alchemical--so deep--but this one is next. It just feels like it. It's one of the decks that I wanted but was never officially on my wishlist. Love the strange Chariot and the tree in The Tower! And I love that there are no titles on the cards.

Herzog

I agree. Love the total strangeness of it. I'm also looking forward to Jean-Claude Flornoy's restoration

Le Fanu

This deck has long been up there as my favourite historical deck. I love the fact that people cannot bend it into their TdM list because it just doesn't fit. The Vieville is the Vieville.

I have no doubt whatsoever that many of the odd details we see in the 18th century decks can be traced back to the Vieville and he may have got them from a link which we have now lost.

It is the most expressive of the historical deck and the one I just keep coming back to again and again and again. It helps that the France-Cartes edition is perfect in every way. There is nothing I would like to be different about it. Im sure Flornoy's restoration will be wonderful but I find that I do not crave any other version except this one.

I have three copies; one at home, one at my partner's place and one in my desk drawer at work. Wherever I am, there is a Vieville nearby :D

It is the deck I have spent the longest amount of time doing an IDS with (before the phrase was coined). I studied the Vieville and the Vieville only for 6 months or more I think (or maybe 5)...

I always think that this is the deck which would have been used for gaming at Louis XIV's Versailles. In terms of the timeline, it is highly plausible.

MoonGypsy

Wow Aurarcana! That was really an incredibly good price for the Vieville! Less than half of what it usually goes for! [on average] Enjoy!

Hugs and Blessings,
MGxxx