Wheel and 2 of Disks

BrightEye

I'm interested in the difference between the two in readings. They both mean change to me. At least they seem to express a similar idea, ie that change is the only constant.

In a 3-card reading, how would you read them?

2 of Cups - 2 of Disks - Ace of Disks
2 of Cups - Wheel - Ace of Disks

To me they both read: a situation will change from 2 of Cups to Ace of Disks. Crowley sees the Wheel as change for the better. I guess that's not necessarily implied in the 2 of Disks. Also, the Wheel is change that's out of your hands. Maybe the 2 of Disks is more within one's control?

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

thorhammer

I get a sense of continual, slow, steady change, as of development along a continuum, with the 2 of Disks. In a way, it's kind of comforting. It has the energy of energised stability, slow dynamism.

Meanwhile, the Wheel speaks to me more of one-off changes, where it's a change in direction, a real swing in a short time of circumstances. It has more of an aura of opportunity and momentousness about it.

To offer an analogy which may or may not serve:

One is driving along a long road. The 2 of Disks signifies a slow but steady change in landscape and vegetation as progress is made. The Wheel, however, signifies the opportunity to take an exit and change direction dramatically, into a city or the mountains - however, that general gradation is not present, it is much more drastic change brought about by an internal choice.

\m/ Kat

ravenest

thorhammer said:
One is driving along a long road. The 2 of Disks signifies a slow but steady change in landscape and vegetation as progress is made. The Wheel, however, signifies the opportunity to take an exit and change direction dramatically, into a city or the mountains - however, that general gradation is not present, it is much more drastic change brought about by an internal choice.
\m/ Kat
Now THAT'S a cool way of explaining it! :)

BrightEye

I think that makes perfect sense, Kat. Thank you so much! I think the snake image supports that. Snakes shed their skins several times during their lifetime and not once and not abruptly either.

thorhammer

Yeah, I like your link with the snake, BE :)

I've thought more about the 2 today, as it was my daily ;). Jupiter in Capricorn - Crowley says that the two are antagonistic. However, it seems to be a kind of grudging alliance, where Jupiter defies the stagnant gravity of Capricorn while Cap contains and harnesses Jup's supernova energy. Two great forces against one another, and the result is suprising harmony.

\m/ Kat

BrightEye

BrightEye said:
2 of Cups - 2 of Disks - Ace of Disks
So if we take this draw, the opposing energies are also there in the 2 of cups in a way, the male and female in harmony. This is mirrored in the yin/yang of the two of disks. A gradual developing until the two become one in the Ace (air/wings and earth are also opposing forces).

Aeon418

Fortune and the 2 of Disks are very similar in many ways. Both cards indicate change and progression from one state of being to another. But there is an important difference. The change in the 2 of Disks is somewhat predictable. It typifies natural changes. The ebb and flow of natural cycles.

Fortune can also represent this natural type of ebb and flow. But Fortune also has an extra special "surprise ingredient". Luck. Chance. Fate. Randomness. The incalculable factor. What ever you wish to call it, it's that intangible, elusive experience that prompts us to pick one way instead of another.

To use thorhammer's metaphor of travelling on a road, what happens when when you are driving along in a 2 of Disks kind of fashion, when suddenly you come to a crossroads. That's the Fortune card. Take a chance.

thorhammer

BrightEye said:
So if we take this draw, the opposing energies are also there in the 2 of cups in a way, the male and female in harmony. This is mirrored in the yin/yang of the two of disks. A gradual developing until the two become one in the Ace (air/wings and earth are also opposing forces).
I guess so . . . I'm not good at abstract three-card draws :laugh: But I do see the balance of balances in the side-by-side twos.

\m/ Kat

ana luisa

Just a thought; I agree that both readings mean change. Also, they seem like a decision to do things, take steps on your own. Both begin with 2 of cups which, to me is a card that involves two people at least. And both ended in one. The difference may be that the Wheel was a change imposed by karma or fate while the 2 of disks may have been a personal decision. Or choice.

BrightEye

ana luisa said:
The difference may be that the Wheel was a change imposed by karma or fate while the 2 of disks may have been a personal decision. Or choice.
Yes, I'm beginning to see it that way.