When the LWB doesn't match the images

GypsyHeart

So, what do you do when you have a non-RWS style deck and a LWB that gives meanings that don't seem to reflect the images at all? How much weight do you give the meanings in the LWB?

Sulis

I very rarely look at the little white book that comes with a deck, I just don't bother with them, never have.

Umbrae

There are a few companies that take a generic LWB and stuff it in with the deck just 'cuz'.

Such LWB's make great fire tender.

balenciaga

I only use the LWB to explain the artwork of the deck.:)

MariposAzl

GypsyHeart,
Considering that originally Tarot decks didn't come with LWB's, I would think how much do you want your reading to be about what other's opinions are versus your own?
When I get a new deck I purchase a journal (or use a blank one I already have tucked away) and go through the deck card by card, pen and journal in hand and basically create my own LWB. What the cards mean to me are MY meanings, and I think that's a lot of what reading Tarot is about. Only after I've gone through the deck do I look in the LWB and see if any of the meanings correspond to my original impressions or if there are additional meanings that resonate with me. I add the ones I like and forget the rest.

One thing I find is that after using the deck for a while, I naturally add meanings that I didn't think of originally.

faunabay

As I was reading your question the answer that immediately popped into my mind was exactly the same word Debra used.....

none! :)

Willow Huntermoon

None at all.
The best thing you could do with the little white book is recycle it.

stella01904

NO!!!!

They're HILARIOUS! Especially the one that comes with the Heron: "You will die of excesses incurred at an orgy", etc.

GypsyHeart

MariposAzl said:
GypsyHeart,
When I get a new deck I purchase a journal (or use a blank one I already have tucked away) and go through the deck card by card, pen and journal in hand and basically create my own LWB. What the cards mean to me are MY meanings, and I think that's a lot of what reading Tarot is about.

I'm having a "why didn't I think of that?" moment. That seems so perfectly obvious and smart.

MariposAzl, thank you! It sounds like fun and I'm actually looking forward to doing that.