why cant people say what they do....

Floss

Logiatrix said:
The circumstances just sometimes turned to where a customer would want a reading, didn't know exactly what or how, and then when they didn't see tarot cards like on TV or what their great aunt used, they would be disappointed. Likewise, there were other instances where a customer sought a reading, but didn't want to see tarot cards at all...but angel cards or other oracles were acceptable. Or, they wanted a 'real psychic', so expected the reader to not use any cards or other tools at all. Truth be told, we all had multiple skills, and different psychic/intuitive/whateveryoucallit abilities. None of us fit any singular label, nor did we adhere to such concepts. But my point is that the customers often did want to categorize the services we offered between us, whether we liked it or not.

Tauni:heart:

IMO, the point is, do these people want a reading or not? If they sit down in front of me, they will get a reading. HOW I do it, is completely irrelevant. If they want certain tools, theatrics, mediumship or general 'woo woo', I tend to think they're more interested in the method than the message. My job is to give them the MESSAGE. Occasionally I get people who spend a good five minutes grilling me on the how's why's and wherefore's. I suggest they Google for the information they're looking for. People who are interested in the message, just sit down with me and off we go. Simple.

Gloria Jean

It's OK for the owner of the shop to want to offer Tarot readings. Hiring a "Tarot Reader" (labeled and implies only thing they do) versus hiring someone who can DO Tarot readings (no label so implies they can do other things too) are very different.

:love: Sheri

I'm not so sure if there can be a distinction between a person who can do tarot readings and a person who "only does tarot readings" and nothing else.

There are many psychics and mediums who use the tarot cards mostly as a front and their readings actually come from somewhere else. These people don't really have a need for the cards. Some say that the cards aid their readings or verify their readings but are not the single source.

When I do a reading, I do get messages from looking at the cards but I don't think I could do a reading with confidence if I did not have the cards. I am afraid my own personal opinion might come into play if I did.

Sometimes I am totally surprised by what the message in the cards is. I will always abandon my own (personal) preconceived ideas about the question and go with the message in the cards. Between me and the cards, the cards are always more accurate.

Sheri

Jenny_writer said:
[quote[

It's OK for the owner of the shop to want to offer Tarot readings. Hiring a "Tarot Reader" (labeled and implies only thing they do) versus hiring someone who can DO Tarot readings (no label so implies they can do other things too) are very different.

I'm not so sure if there can be a distinction between a person who can do tarot readings and a person who "only does tarot readings" and nothing else.

There are many psychics and mediums who use the tarot cards mostly as a front and their readings actually come from somewhere else. These people don't really have a need for the cards. Some say that the cards aid their readings or verify their readings but are not the single source.

When I do a reading, I do get messages from looking at the cards but I don't think I could do a reading with confidence if I did not have the cards. I am afraid my own personal opinion might come into play if I did.

Sometimes I am totally surprised by what the message in the cards is. I will always abandon my own (personal) preconceived ideas about the question and go with the message in the cards. Between me and the cards, the cards are always more accurate.[/QUOTE]

My point throughout is that there shouldn't be a distinction. This bit you quoted was in reference to a response in which I thought the scenario was that the readers were labeled, and as such problems arose.

I read Tarot, but I don't necessarily want to advertise myself as a Tarot Reader because I do more than that. I don't want to list out all the things I do and attach a "Reader" to the end of each item in the list. I am happy to just be "a reader," or better yet, be someone who gives readings.

In truth, you know, YOU are what makes the cards true, too :D

Sheri

Logiatrix said:
That's just semantics. When we met, I was a tarot reader, and that's why I got the job. I wasn't labeled anything amongst those of us in the shop. We didn't have name tags or titles. I was hired because nobody there could read tarot, and I got the job because I could. I did a helluva a lot more than read cards when I worked there, believe me.

The circumstances just sometimes turned to where a customer would want a reading, didn't know exactly what or how, and then when they didn't see tarot cards like on TV or what their great aunt used, they would be disappointed. Likewise, there were other instances where a customer sought a reading, but didn't want to see tarot cards at all...but angel cards or other oracles were acceptable. Or, they wanted a 'real psychic', so expected the reader to not use any cards or other tools at all. Truth be told, we all had multiple skills, and different psychic/intuitive/whateveryoucallit abilities. None of us fit any singular label, nor did we adhere to such concepts. But my point is that the customers often did want to categorize the services we offered between us, whether we liked it or not.

Tauni:heart:

It's not semantics. However, I realize I misunderstood your scenario. I thought you were saying that everyone was labeled as something... like you were labeled the "Tarot Reader" and that is why the person didn't want to sit down, and that oracle readers were having problems because they were trying to do oracle readings for people who asked for Tarot readings.

The public may try to use labels, because the labels are what they know, understood. However, it is up to you as the reader to get them to see they may be doing a dis-service to themselves if they are only looking for what they THINK a reader/medium is. Many con artists and scammers bank on this innocence and happily play into the stereotype. You may be giving away a reading, but it would be worth it to show them that the message can be received regardless of the tool used. It's hard, but most things in life worth anything are.

Logiatrix

Sheri said:
It's not semantics. However, I realize I misunderstood your scenario. I thought you were saying that everyone was labeled as something... like you were labeled the "Tarot Reader" and that is why the person didn't want to sit down, and that oracle readers were having problems because they were trying to do oracle readings for people who asked for Tarot readings.

The public may try to use labels, because the labels are what they know, understood. However, it is up to you as the reader to get them to see they may be doing a dis-service to themselves if they are only looking for what they THINK a reader/medium is. Many con artists and scammers bank on this innocence and happily play into the stereotype. You may be giving away a reading, but it would be worth it to show them that the message can be received regardless of the tool used. It's hard, but most things in life worth anything are.

Yes, I see where you are coming from, and I agree wholeheartedly. I do have the luxury of making that point now that I am working out of my own location. However, it was a different situation at a retail establishment in a bad economy, or in any economy for that matter. The bottom line is, since it was not my store, it was not up to me. It was not my place to willingly lose a reading for the sake of setting the customer straight. Nothing was imposed on me, I made that call myself. It just wasn't the venue, when people were looking for patchouli oil, and then hoping that a short reading was at a price they could afford along with their little purchase. I just tried to make it work, for the customer and for the owner. I saved my soapbox for the captive audience of my tarot workshops, LOL. I did put a lot of effort into 'talking up' my colleague's oracle readings, to prove that they were just as effective as my tarot sessions. Those who were open always walked away happy.

Now I'm on my own, working 'by appointment only', and I've noticed a difference. I don't mean to sound harsh, but there is a shift in the attitude of the client that seeks you out, instead of having stumbled on the idea of a reading while shopping for incense. I don't disparage those walk-ins or dabblers, as several are still clients. But I honestly don't miss those occasional trials-by-fire, either.

Sheri, just like you stated: "I am happy to just be 'a reader,' or better yet, be someone who gives readings". I am happy to just be a reader, too. Now, when I say what I do, I don't have to explain myself. They either get it, or they move on.

:heart:Tauni

Umbrae

So I was at this joint yesterday reading.

Gal next to me had her sign as a 'Chocolate Reader'.

Well by golly that's what she did. You took a bar or dark chocolate, held it, she then slapped it on the table, opened it and read it. I watched her whenever I wasn't reading – she never asked any questions, and gave short readings (you get to keep and eat the chocolate).

She was scary good. The chocolate was damned good.

The other sign she had said she was an intuitive witches rune reader.

She did chocolate readings.

The general public had no clue what intuitive witches runes reading would be like.

But chocolate – they were curious about.

It was very revealing.

Sheir – ya should have been there.

214red

I so wish I was on my laptop but alas I can't reply as I want to on my iPhone !
So comments in random order
I put this hear because I was a fellow proffesional reader wasthesubject, but also it should stimulate debate on what we call ourselves.
I think to many people they don't care what tools are used in a reading, they simply wants answers, I do wantto know, I pick a type of reading tosuit the subject or my moods. I saw a demo of mental mediumship students , I noticed a few of the students where working psychically not as a medium, now it annoyed me,but majority of the audience were happy as they saw messages being given accurately, so I think it depends what type of person you are.

I used to use the cards as a prop because it was safe and I lacked confidence in my other skills,butnow am out of the closet I can clearly label how I get information through, I don't understand when people don't know how theygot the message through itslike they want to keep people in the dark.

If you work in this field I thinkits important to know what your doing the mechanics, it helps blow away the mystery of what we do , it shouldn't be kept in the dark. If we don't know the difference between things how are the public going to? The mystery keeps peope scared or in awe And both states shouldn't happen, its natural what we do.....and thee

214red

My iphone seems to have issues editing posts ! I basically wanted to say that we are professionals like many others and we should know what we do and not oversell ourselves. Labeling might seem difficult but ultimately we know how we work , we should be honest about it and bring clarity to the public.

Psychic readers can read anything, from chocolate as umbrae says or bums like jackie stalone!

Very interesting posts, especially sheri.

Gloria Jean

Umbrae said:
So I was at this joint yesterday reading.

Gal next to me had her sign as a 'Chocolate Reader'.

Well by golly that's what she did. You took a bar or dark chocolate, held it, she then slapped it on the table, opened it and read it. I watched her whenever I wasn't reading – she never asked any questions, and gave short readings (you get to keep and eat the chocolate).

She was scary good. The chocolate was damned good.

The other sign she had said she was an intuitive witches rune reader.

She did chocolate readings.

The general public had no clue what intuitive witches runes reading would be like.

But chocolate – they were curious about.

It was very revealing.

Sheir – ya should have been there.

That is so funny. I would have done it for the chocolate. :)

Aerin

See, I would have a chocolate reading just for the chocolate.

I would get cross (as a customer) if someone labelled themselves "Tarot Reader" and then didn't in fact read the cards - if the cards are irrelevant then don't use them. I do in fact want a reading that relates to the cards as a minimum.