Wise sayings = Cards

sacredashes

Harry S Truman:

"I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell." = King of Swords; 10 of Swords

Bethania McKenstry:

"I'm not sure I want popular opinion on my side -- I've noticed those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts." = 3 of Cups (v) + Ace of Swords (r)

sacredashes

Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900):

"One is tempted to define man as a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason." = Strength

sacredashes

Veronica Pare and Ferrett Steinmetz, Home on the Strange, 11-09-07:

"Dude, marriage is the 'get out of loneliness free' card in the Monopoly game of life." = The Lovers (r) ; 2 of Cups (r); The Devil

Peter De Vries:

"There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you." = Empress + Emperor = 10 of Pentacles (r)

Garrison Keillor (1942 - ):

"I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it." = 2 of Swords; Wheel of Fortune; High Priestess (r); Hierophant (r) = 7 of Cups

sacredashes

Ann Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764:

"There is some magic in wealth, which can thus make persons pay their court to it, when it does not even benefit themselves. How strange it is, that a fool or knave, with riches, should be treated with more respect by the world, than a good man, or a wise man in poverty!" = Ace of Pentacles = 9 of Cups vs 8 of Cups

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", Chapter 2:

"He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it - namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to obtain." = The Devil })

Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926):

"If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches." = The Hermit (r)

Henry Fielding (1707 - 1754):

"Now, in reality, the world have paid too great a compliment to critics, and have imagined them to be men of much greater profundity than they really are." = The Tower + 4 of Wands + 6 of Wands + Knight of Swords (r) = The Chariot (r) ... crash and burn, baby...

sacredashes

Walter Anderson:

"Our lives improve only when we take chances - and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves." = The Fool + 10 of Swords

Lin Yutang :

"Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst." = 9 of Swords (r)

Colin Powell (1937 - ) :

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." = 8 of Pentacles

sacredashes

Olin Miller:

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do." = 9 of Swords

Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000), Charlie Brown in "Peanuts"

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." = 9 of Swords + 10 of Swords

Charles Mackay:

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one." = The World (r) + The Fool + 8 of Cups = The Hermit

Langston Coleman:

"Luck is what you have left over after you give 100 percent." = 8 of Pentacles + Wheel of Fortune

sacredashes

Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977):

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." = 8 of Cups + 8 of Pentacles

Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862):

"Men have become the tools of their tools." = 10 of Wands + Magician (r)

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 - 1951):

"Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language." = Knight of Swords + King of Swords +The Devil

Philip Elmer-DeWitt, in Time Magazine:

"Some people make headlines while others make history." = The Chariot vs The Hermit

Chiara

The Sun:
And remember, in the winter, far beneath the bitter snow, lies the seed that with the Sun’s love, in the spring becomes the rose.

The Wheel of Fortune:
And there remains always a still but intensely alive space at the center of the wheel, a core of peace in the midst of activity that is both the source of all and untouched by all. - Eckhart Tolle

Strength:
And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing but a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. Antoine de Saint Exupery, “The Little Prince”

The High Priestess:
For the house, the stars, the desert – what gives them their beauty is something that is invisible. What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides an oasis.
Antoine de Saint Exupery, “The Little Prince”

The Fool: (reminds me of what he holds in his bag)
A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years. One day a stranger walked by. “Spare some change?” mumbled the beggar, mechanically holding out his old baseball cap. “I have nothing to give you,” said the stranger. Then he asked: “What’s that you are sitting on?” “Nothing,” replied the beggar. “Just an old box. I have been sitting on it for as long as I can remember.” “Ever look inside?” asked the stranger. “No,” said the beggar. “What’s the point? There’s nothing in there.” “Have a look inside,” insisted the stranger. The beggar managed to pry open the lid. With astonishment, disbelief, and elation, he saw that the box was filled with gold.

I am that stranger who has nothing to give you and who is telling you to look inside. Not inside any box, as in the parable, but somewhere even closer; inside yourself.
Eckhart Tolle

Page of Cups:
There are those that look at things the way they are and ask why…I dream of things of things that never were, and ask why not? Robert F. Kennedy

Ten of Pentacles:
Man can raise five thousand roses in the same garden and do not find in it what he is looking for. And yet, what he is looking for can be found in one single rose, or in a little water. For the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart. Antoine de Saint Exupery, “The Little Prince”

Six of Pentacles:
Quid pro quo.

Ten of Wands:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed at the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream. Discover. Mark Twain

The High Priestess:
If a direction is right you will know it automatically. If, however, making up your mind requires you to go through great trials and tribulations, you can be sure that that particular course is not the one for you. Basically, it is well to remember, if you have to ponder a decision, it is usually a mistake. When it is right, you will know. Stuart Wilde

sacredashes

Thank you, Chiara for sharing your associations with the cards.

Chiara said:
Ten of Wands:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed at the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream. Discover. Mark Twain

I remember using this quote a while back but your take certainly opened up new meanings to the card for me. I can see how our responsibilities may stop us from pursuing our dreams; only to realize that we have been living the life someone else wanted for us.

Ash

sacredashes

Tom Robbins (1936 - ) :

"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature." = Wheel of Fortune + 8 of Wands + Charioteer

Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719), 'The Spectator' :

"I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries, and very frankly give them fruit for their songs." = 9 of Pentacles + 6 of Pentacles

Sarah Ban Breathnach:

"You've got to make a conscious choice every day to shed the old - whatever 'the old' means for you." = The Star; 4 of Swords

The Dalai Lama (1935 - ) :

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." = 6 of Pentacles + 6 of Cups

Havelock Ellis (1859 - 1939) :

"The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum." = Page of Swords (r) + The Fool

Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895) :

" Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly." = 2 of Swords + Charioteer + Temperence (r)

Paul Eldridge :

"Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him." = 7 of Wands + Ace of Swords (r)

Og Mandino (1923 - 1996) :

"Sound character provides the power with which a person may ride the emergencies of life instead of being overwhelmed by them. Failure is... the highway to success." = Charioteer + The Tower

Darrin Weinberg :

"It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.' = 5 of Swords + 6 of Wands

Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, October 2002 :

"Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand." = 5 of Wands

Marian Evans :

"Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds." = Magician

Evan Esar (1899 - 1995) :

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." = 5 of Pentacles