World spirit tarot...what do u think?

Shade

I love this deck quite a bit and would love to elaborate upon it multicultural-ness. I read fora wide range of people and I find it challenging at times to read for all of them wi ha deck filled with white folks. Now some decks will go multicultural and have a Celtic scene for one card and then perhaps an Egyptian scene for another but the W.S. takes the next great leap forward by putting the different people together on the same cards. It also has deities that haven't hung out before in art (Quan Yin and Pan fro example) and places them on the same card.

This could have gone rather badly, placing different element stogether like this could have wrecked the deck's ability to have a cohesive message. It could also have led to a feeling that the different deities werent truly being honored, just made a show of for the sake of variety, but that feeling never comes across to me. The deck really carries a feeling of the whole world coming together. I thikn this is hat the Voyager was going for, but in my pinion, never ctualy accomplished.

As has been stated before people of different body types and ages make apearances and thi isnt just done in extremes. The woman on the 2 of pentacles for example has a little bit more meat on her tahn other women in the deck, whereas the World Dancer is beautifuly Reubeneque (spelling?)

Astraea

"Formerly JohnnyVoodoo," I wondered where you'd gone! :) Nice to see you.

I agree, the multicultural value of this deck is immense.

Namaste

I just bought this deck and so far have been very impressed with it.

I usually do a new deck spread (that I got from another member here - a fabulous spread, I might add) and it was very heartening.

I drew three cards as follows:

1 - What will you bring me? (asking the deck)

2 - What do you expect from me?

3 - What will our relationship be like?

The answer and how I interpreted the messages:

1. Death XIII

It will help me transform myself, if I am willing to be brutally honest with myself and let go of what I must let go of.

2. 4 Cups

Hard hitting truth, a willingness to listen and be open to change. Lift my head from my navel and commit to self-empowerment.

3. 10 Cups

One of trust and harmony. Loving and honest advice. It will help me open my heart and enage even more with life.

What I love about this new deck is the eloquence of the images, and the fact that the booklet and the cards actually give advice. :)

There are two or three images, like the sun card, that are very different, but I think it is a deck that grows on you. It speaks of brutal honesty which I like. The images seem primitive??, but I think when one bears in mind that they are lino prints, they become endearing.

I love the way the deck represents all of us... These are not depictions of beautiful people all the time, but that's fine. It is very down to earth, but all-encompassing.

I find the booklet very good for a LWB, and love the way it, and thecards, actually give advice.

Now I'm off to buy the Roots of Asia Tarot. The more the merrier I say.

I'm sure you'all all agree, though, that the Temperance card of this deck is lovely! :)

Sulis

Congratulations Namaste on your new deck. I'm glad you like it - I love it when I see others enjoying one of my favorite decks. I've been using the World Spirit a lot lately - it's the deck which I always return too (that and my Morgan Greer)

Love

Sulis xx

13thFaeChylde

I've recently started toting my WS around with me again.
Such a good deck to have nearby :)

Namaste

Thank you, Sulis. :)

Is there any kind of card a week or other leisurely group exploration of this deck?

Namaste

13thFaeChylde said:
I've recently started toting my WS around with me again.
Such a good deck to have nearby :)

Happy to learn that, 13thFaeChylde. :)

May I ask why you say it is a good deck to have nearby?

13thFaeChylde

Namaste said:
Happy to learn that, 13thFaeChylde. :)

May I ask why you say it is a good deck to have nearby?

I think that because it is so all-encompassing, of many cultures, that should I feel compelled to do a reading away from home for someone, this deck is the one I'd reach for. It's a melting pot.

Plus, I think I mentioned this before...the deck was created by two women who live in Asheville, NC ~ one of my face places ever. The city has such a good energy about it, and the deck is infused with the same energy.

Flavio

I just got the World Spirit Tarot yesterday and already love it, not love at first sight because I had seen many cards on internet but the actual cards are SO appealing to me in many levels that I don't know where to start.

OK, 1st the images... the wood carving like technique takes a lot of job and even so you can see how detailed these cards are, in Mexico we have a long tradition in that kind of printings but seeing the same technique on a colorful Tarot deck was a very nice surprise.

The multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-gender and multi time period mix, is very well acomplished, I have been blessed with the chance to visit some of the world's most cosmopolitan cities and these cards mirror very well the feeling of "everyday life" of those places but in a more harmonius and beautiful way than in real world.

There is a lot of nudity and unusual cards, so I think I will keep this deck for personal readings as most of the persons I had read for have some issues with those themes.

But these cards are not only beautiful images, they have RW enriched symbolism, so it can be a good second choice after you learn the basics with a RW deck. The change in names of the court cards for Seer, Seeker, Sybil and Sage do not affect the readings is a nice idea to have that people as an option to the hierarchical system.

Late congratulations are in order for Lauren O'Leary and Jessica Godino.

Can't wait to start reading with my World Spirit!

tao51

I have viewed this deck. I have to admit that Llewellyn has been putting out more unique tarot decks. This is not an exception. The bold art work is truly expressive of the cards' meaning. The court cards are less than the others. I have it on my list to acquire in the future. --Tao