Would you add a card to the Majors?

cherryberry

I completed the questionaire about Tarot here and this one question stuck with me. It was something along the lines of ' Do you think a card is missing, if so which and what would it mean'

I thought about it and maybe I am suggesting one, as I haven't grasped aaaaalll meanings of aaaaal cards yet, but I thought about 2 additional Major Arcana Cards maybe called -

Surprise :) Meaning something like - depending on the position, ~you are not supposed to know whats happening, your thoughts should not be clouded at all in this specific matter, it is going to be a pleasent surprise though, only - do not think about it, you cant figure out what exactly is going to happen and how you should react as it is important that your reaction is a 'pure-you' reaction ~

And the second one maybe - Health (or something along that lines) It wouldn't show any people, just a bunch of flowers, trees, animals maybe. I still have to think a bit more about the meaning so it could fit more positions :) But I wanted to post it already anyway :)

WalesWoman

Your surprise card sounds like my interpretation of the Moon, the second one sounds like the Empress.

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread is "Why?" It seems like the Majors covers everything in one way or another and the minors get down to the details.

But this is how all the oracle decks come into being, because someone did think of something to represent more area specific concepts and meanings, which could lessen the guess work in a reading. Go for it, it wouldn't be tarot but a tarot based oracle. If it works, then it's all good.

Voron

Well the Minchiate have like 40 trumps...

It's interesting, because, there are extra cards popping up all the time, or included for one reason for another.

Ones that come to mind:
The Happy Squirrel (from the Simpsons, now in decks),
The Unicursal Hexagram card in the Thoth (not technically an addition, but people use it)
The Multiverse and the Blank card in the Quest Tarot.

Once upon a time, while the HBO series Carnivale was on the air, a new trump mysteriously showed up -- the reader when asked about it said she'd never seen it before. It was called "the Usher" and refered to a character/archetype from the series. It made me think about the possible addition of actually, *two* extra cards: The Usher and the Avatar, which would be related, but of different qualities. I haven't exactly got my brain around them, but the original whimsical idea sticks with me, even a couple years later.

The Usher has a dark, yin earthy quality -- hard to describe even to myself, so I'll throw out a few cards that combined give the same feeling: Judgement/Aeon, Devil, Heirophant (but not as fixed), Tower, Moon, a little Emperor, and *possibly* a little Chariot.

The Avatar is less grounded, but a bit less dark, but has a poingnency:
Judgement/Aeon, Fool, Star, Hanged Man, Magician, Priestess, Hermit, Moon, Art.

SunChariot

My Quest Tarot has an extra Major. After the Universe card comes a card called the Multiverse. I think that's just brilliant. I wish I have thought of it myself and that all decks had them.

Bar

northsea

cherryberry said:
I thought about 2 additional Major Arcana Cards maybe called -

Surprise :) Meaning something like - depending on the position, ~you are not supposed to know whats happening, your thoughts should not be clouded at all in this specific matter, it is going to be a pleasent surprise though, only - do not think about it, you cant figure out what exactly is going to happen and how you should react as it is important that your reaction is a 'pure-you' reaction ~

And the second one maybe - Health (or something along that lines) It wouldn't show any people, just a bunch of flowers, trees, animals maybe. I still have to think a bit more about the meaning so it could fit more positions :) But I wanted to post it already anyway :)

I like those extra cards. :) Interesting that you say two cards because it has been said that, similar to how Mendeleyev formulated chemistry's periodic table, there are actually supposed to be 24 tarot Majors, with a 3x8 tableaux, rather than 3x7. Just a theory though.

Hemera

the Happy Squirrel

I have been hoping to have a message card from my Animal Helpers/Guardian Animals/Totem Animals...
Well, combinig that, and cherryberry´s ideas of a "Suprise Card" and "Health Card w/animals" that would add up to:

Ta-daa:
The Happy Squirrell Card :D

moderndayruth

There is a deck "Tarot zlatne trake" (sth like "Golden strings Tarot", literally translated from Serbian), autor is Dragana Djuric Kovacevic; she added 23d major, which is "God". In a foreword she goes into detail how, thru studyng Jung's work, she came to this idea. I read it long time ago, so i don't remeber clearly what was the explanation, but it didn't make much sence to me back then & i didn't really like reading the deck. That's my only experience with additional majors :(
Love&Light

rogue

extra 2

I recently finished creating my own deck and I added 2 extra trumps that are extremely similar to all the ideas mentioned on this thread. I think the original inspiration for all of this goes back to a book about the tarot by Timothy Leary.

Umbrae

The Lunatic has two extra cards (and no LWB) so they can be WHATEVER one wishes them to be, either static or dyanimic in qualities.

cherryberry

hemera said:
I have been hoping to have a message card from my Animal Helpers/Guardian Animals/Totem Animals...
Well, combinig that, and cherryberry´s ideas of a "Suprise Card" and "Health Card w/animals" that would add up to:

Ta-daa:
The Happy Squirrell Card :D

funny :D Squirrell is one of my favourit english words (I am not a native speaker) I remember the first times I heard it, I found the word sounds just too funny :) Like there are letters missing or so :)

Therefore I had to chuckle again a bit about the Happy Squirrell card, and it is really funny that we all go along the same line :)