Ever encountered someone genuinely AFRAID of the tarot?

SarahRose

As the title of the thread suggests, the question is - have you ever encountered someone genuinely AFRAID of the tarot?

I wanted an opinion about the artwork of the cards from someone who doesn't know tarot. I IMed one of my best friends online to ask her to choose between a few decks visually.

Some background: I am a Christian who happens to be a tarotist as well. (I know I'm not the only one! lol). I'm actually kinda... secular-Christian. Some would call that a bad Christian, lol. (I am also a Republican and a bisexual - figure that all out! lol!) Well, this friend is a Bible-thumping talks-about-the-power-of-Jesus-24/7 Christian.

She refused to even click on the links to look at the cards online. I said, "They won't bite. I want your opinion on the art from an unbiased POV." She said, "I don't even want to look at them. I don't approve. They're evil tools of magic and I don't want them to even touch my computer screen." I asked her why she was so scared of them and she said, again, "Because they are evil. I have to close the IM box, I don't want those links in my IM anymore." (They were links to the decks section here, btw.)

It's people like that (though I love her dearly) that give Christians a bad name, lol.

Anyone else with similar stories (either funny or, well... saddening)?

(I know my family would disapprove. Not sure if there would be genuine fear)

PS - You know you really believe in the tarot when... you're terrified of doing a spread about a possibly-ill pet... :(

Miren

I think that my mom is. She sometimes gets hung up on things being evil. She was more so when I was a child, but I think that tarot is still something on her "very bad" list. Like, she wouldn't be willing to flip through a book about it either.

Now my mom is a very kind lady, extremely intelligent (kinda naive...in a cute way), has a PhD and everything. She helps teach people to read, helps out others all that kind of thing. But she's also worried about tarot and similar new age stuff.

SarahRose

Miren said:
I think that my mom is. She sometimes gets hung up on things being evil. She was more so when I was a child, but I think that tarot is still something on her "very bad" list. Like, she wouldn't be willing to flip through a book about it either.

Now my mom is a very kind lady, extremely intelligent (kinda naive...in a cute way), has a PhD and everything. She helps teach people to read, helps out others all that kind of thing. But she's also worried about tarot and similar new age stuff.

Yeah, I understand that. My family would be disapproving for sure. I don't know about fear, though.

Thanks for the reply!

Satori

Oh yeah.
I have folks in my family who think my house is full of way bad mojo because of the cards I own.

My brother will not spend the night here because I'm a reader and he is a born-again Christian pastor. Says I'm hooking up with some demonicus diabolocus network.

SarahRose

elf said:
Oh yeah.
I have folks in my family who think my house is full of way bad mojo because of the cards I own.

My brother will not spend the night here because I'm a reader and he is a born-again Christian pastor. Says I'm hooking up with some demonicus diabolocus network.

Yes! That's how 'my people' talk too! "You're bringing evil things in this house."

Well, that's not even a quote from my mother about the cards - it's about my books on the paranormal.

Get this - my mother told me I was bringing "evil things" into the house when I was researching the Salem Witch Trials. ... Yeah. Let's just say, my mother stopped maturing at about 12, and that's no joke. I won't start on my feelings towards my mother, lol.

PixieLi

Oh yes one of my girlfriends thinks tarot come straight from the devil (she was obviously bought up christian). She also told me the only way to get rid of their bad energy would be to dig a big hole and bury them.

very sad indeed

Pix :)

SarahRose

PixieLi said:
She also told me the only way to get rid of their bad energy would be to dig a big hole and bury them.

Wow.

I can't wait to have kids that are free to pursue interests. There are things I genuinely believe are bad, and, I mean, my kids will be raised Christian. But not... SUPER CHRISTIAN TO THE RESCUE, ya know?

Thanks for the reply. Sad indeed.

moderndayruth

sounds familiar :(
I think all of us at some point had those experiences...
I have a close friend, really nice guy, who got genuinly scared when i first time red for him. Btw i don't do reversals and i interpret the cards like really spiritually and not in a suggestive& that's-the-only-way-things-will-go way.
Deeply, i think we don't meet these people by chance, i feel them like kind of inner questionnary, after situations like this i ask myself again and again:
do i believe in what i am doing?
do i believe in the tools i am using?
are my intentions pure?
Btw, my granma used to read cards and the grandfather was Cristian Ortodox Priest and he was ok with it. My father is a commnunist and he is not at ease with any kind of oracle.
There are parts in both Old&New Testaments that are in a way against reading stars and other divinations; what i realised, it is about drawing a tiny line ... If one says, reading the cards, "that's going to happen in the future& you can't do anything about it" (which, i guess, nobody is doing), it could be actually the denial of a Higher force (G-d, Universe, Consciosness...) in a sence that it's power of entering any situation and altering it is denied.

that's my 2 cents on the toppic :)
Love&Light
Ruth

SarahRose

moderndayruth said:
after situations like this i ask myself again and again:
do i believe in what i am doing?
do i believe in the tools i am using?
are my intentions pure?

Exactly. Me too.

My best friends' mother is a pastor and she has decks upon decks!

Thanks for the 2 cents!

Papageno

not to go off topic or anything but I find this somewhat amusing because people are sharing their experiences, here in a tarot forum, about negative perceptions about tarot from the "outside" world; meanwhile here on the "inside" the same fears are evident in some people's reluctance or refusal to use, possess or have under their roof, certain tarot decks.

I just had to get that out.