Would you read for someone you don't like?

KSPisces

I often do readings for one of my friends. I love her, she's great. My readings for her have always given her good insight and are usually pretty accurate.

She recently separated from her husband, and during this separation, I learned a LOT of things about him that I didn't know. In short, he's an ass.

Lo and behold, they have gotten back together - as her last reading told me they would... unbeknownst to me, she had already moved back in at the time of that reading. (Silly me, I thought the cards were wrong. I thought there was NO WAY she would go back. Don't I look like a jerk?) Now she's asked me to do a reading for husband. (I've done them for him before as well.)

I told her I didn't think it was a good idea. My concern is that my feelings of distaste for him are SO strong, that I'm worried I'll influence the deck negatively. I only try to read when I'm feeling "up" - or even "neutral" - but I just can't see myself doing a reading for someone when I have such strong negative feelings towards them.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Would you go ahead and do the reading anyways?

Thanks!

Ambrosia

Yea id feel pretty uncomfortable about it. Especially because I would feel too involved in the situation to be unbiased.

Id politely decline. But that's just me. :)

littlestar

I've never been put in this situation but if i was i dont think i could read for someone i didnt like and felt so strongly about not liking them.
I find it hard enough to do readings for those close to me, whom i do like.

nisaba

It's difficult enough reading for people you know personally - reading for both halves of a troubled couple is like being hte best friend of both members of a troubled couple - one will tell you things the other shouldn't know and vice versa. Keep away from intimacy.

I felt soiled enough when I read professionally for strangers, one customer being a woman whose home issues included the concept of moving house, and whose relationship issues involved being bored and feeling stuck; then I read for a man of the same ethnic group whose home situation would soon be characterised by the hermit, and whose relationship issues involved loss. There was a whole bunch of people from that particular racial background in the venue at the time - I only worked out that they were husband and wife when I laid out the second spread, and it talked to me about the first spread. I couldn't, and didn't, give either of them information from the other one's reading, but I felt really dirty.

214red

its your discretion, you dont have to read for him, not only because you worry about your reading being influenced by your dislike of him...but simply because he is an ass!!

WinterRose

I've read for people I don't like before. It's difficult, but you've got to step back and just try and do it as emotionless as possible, really.

Alta

I would decline. You are clearly disturbed by he idea and it would likely affect your reading. I would think only if you could achieve the sense of detachment that CelticDruidess describes.

Is there even a hint that she would afterwards try and get out of you what came up in his reading? Double whammy there.

Alta

Le Fanu

Alta said:
Is there even a hint that she would afterwards try and get out of you what came up in his reading? Double whammy there.

I had this recently! I did a reading for a friend and her boyfriend immediately tried to get out of her (then, when that failed, me!) what had been said. In front of me! Visibly jealous!

But theoretically, reading for someone you don´t like should be no more "difficult" than reading for someone you really fancy ;), and most of us wouldn´t back down on the opportunity to read for someone like that!

Tests your skills much the same way!

gregory

I would read for someone I didn't like - indeed, I have - but NOT where I was so closely involved and knew so much about things. So in this case I would say no.

I avoid reading for friends for the same sort of reason.

Promise

Like Gregory said, I think it would depend on how closely I was associated with or emotionally invested in both the querent and the subject of the reading.

I would be concerned about her trying to get information from you about her husband's reading, like Alta said; I take confidentiality very seriously, and I know it always makes me incredibly uncomfortable and a bit irritated when people try to get me to rat out my sitters.

Also, take into consideration what could happen if the reading were generally "negative" or had an undesirable outcome. Is he the type who would try to blame you and say that you did it on purpose because you dislike him? Is he the type who would try to pit you against your friend over it?

Of course it's entirely your decision, but if I were you, this is a circumstance where I would very politely decline. I wouldn't want to run the risk of losing a valued friendship over it, nor would I want to try to read when I was that uncomfortable with the situation.