Writing on the cards

felinefriend

Is this a no-no? I'm thinking about trimming my standard White Cats card so it will be easier on my teensy hands (I have hand issues from all the typing I do for work...), but I want to get a nice golden pen and write in small letters on the card what the cards are, since I can't look and pick up right away (I get my Kings and Queens mixed up on the WC cards since they are kittehs!). Is this bad...?

Sulis

They're your cards, you can do whatever you like with them.

If I like a deck a lot but Justice and Strength have been switched around I just change the numbers so that Justice is 8 and Strength is 11. So far I've done that with my Morgan Greer, my Pearls of Wisdom and my World Spirit.

Just make sure you use something that won't smear or wear off. I've found that the pens used for writing on cds and dvds work really well but you may want to try on one of the extra cards in your deck first.

Eowyn

There is a famous chilean tarot reader, so famous I dont remember his name... anyways. He has all his tarot cards written over. So, if a pro tarot reader does it, why not?? He wrote words on the borders of the cards.

felinefriend

Thank you! I have a project for next weekend now :)

I think I may use the standard size cards as my journal cards- paste them into my journal and write on and around them. Gosh, I love these cards :)

Eowyn

question

FF, in this moment, with wich major arcana would you represent yourself in your tarot quest?

felinefriend

You know, I say the High Priestess regarding my tarot quest. I've always had flashes of random very strong and accurate intuition that I had no control over, and I feel like tarot is not just about knowing the cards (very important) but how your intuition relates and adds to the cards' meanings (just as, if not more important). The high priestess is the symbol of intiuition, and I feel her energy is something I should really focus on with this journey. I asked a friend of mine to pull a deck from her card about learning the tarot (before I had my own deck), and High Priestess was also what she pulled.

I'm also trying to getting back into some creative projects, something I have not done in a long time. I used to be an artist and I dropped that completely for almost 16 years. I have been slowly trying to overcome the frustration of wanting to draw well and trying to focus on enjoying drawing, just letting it flow out of me rather than focusing on the end result. I think the most rewarding art (for the artist) comes out of being able to express your intuition, dreams and visions... so to me, that's also the High Priestess' calling out to me.

I think tarot is a form of art, and I think trying to nurture the creative side of me while learning the tarot will complement each other... and I think both are related to the realm of the High Priestess.

Sorry for the rambling if I make no sense whatsoever!

Eowyn

And that is so great!

And have you considered instead of trimming it and pasting it in your journal, just work with it? I have read in the forums that trimming frees the meanings from certain decks. Perhaps that release will help you better reading the cards than pasting them... just an idea. :p

But I dont want the thread go out from topic, so.. writting on the cards is just fine.

Well, FF see you!!!

mysticmonkey

felinefriend said:
I'm also trying to getting back into some creative projects, something I have not done in a long time. I used to be an artist and I dropped that completely for almost 16 years. I have been slowly trying to overcome the frustration of wanting to draw well and trying to focus on enjoying drawing, just letting it flow out of me rather than focusing on the end result. I think the most rewarding art (for the artist) comes out of being able to express your intuition, dreams and visions... so to me, that's also the High Priestess' calling out to me.

I think tarot is a form of art, and I think trying to nurture the creative side of me while learning the tarot will complement each other... and I think both are related to the realm of the High Priestess.

Sorry for the rambling if I make no sense whatsoever!
lol, I've just been rambling about something similar on a different forum.
I think the universe just gave me a kick up the bum. :D

On topic: Yup do anything you like with the cards but as someone said try to use a pen that will stay on. Maybe it wouldn't bother you but if the ink started wearing too much it would bother me.

Jewel

felinefriend said:
Is this a no-no? I'm thinking about trimming my standard White Cats card so it will be easier on my teensy hands (I have hand issues from all the typing I do for work...), but I want to get a nice golden pen and write in small letters on the card what the cards are, since I can't look and pick up right away (I get my Kings and Queens mixed up on the WC cards since they are kittehs!). Is this bad...?
Not bad at all. Feel free to do as you will with your deck. Tarot cards are simply that cards. Pieces of cardstock with images on them. Do what ever you need to do that will help you learn and bond with your deck.

MoonLitCrystal

My feeling is, what's the good of having a deck in "mint condition?" (Well, not counting collectors.) I think that one needs to give the cards life, their own personality if you will. Wear and tear, markings, etc just mean that the deck has been loved and used a lot! :)

BTW I feel this way about most objects. One of my famous sayings is, "Why park your car a million miles away from everyone else in the parking lot? Isn't a car for driving, not for show?" ;) If someone is overly concerned about the appearance of their possession, they miss out on really having fun with it!