wwhich card best represents captivity in tarot?

Tansey Ella

Which card in tarot represent captivity ? I know the 8 swords comes to mind . However, i was thinking of a card that just shows someone who is unable to move on , perhaps agoraphobia - staying in the confines of their home, not necessarily being hurt just afraid to leave that safety.
any thought on which card represents this the best, a non violent captivity?

starrystarrynight

The Four of Pentacles springs to mind...

cherryberry

reversed Fool maybe?

4 of swords as well possibly, a chosen rest.

frac_ture

My immediate thought was the 8 of Swords, but you already mentioned it. Maybe the 4 of Cups would also apply here? Not sure about a specific connection to agoraphobia necessarily, but the card can definitely indicate stagnation and an inability to move on...?

cherryberry

:D interesting that so many of the 4s were mentioned.
But, makes sense - stability, groundwork completed, pause,...

Tansey Ella

that is interesting and yes it is captivity in one sense, the man is holding on tight to what he has. ( in the 4 of pents) The captivity I am thinking of has more to do with an inability to walk out the door in their mind or physically. The 8 swords almost is it, but the typical rws pic seems too violent looking. I thought of the hanged man too. The 78 doors showed the 8 swords as a man in a an open birdcage.

RunningWild

How about the four of swords and the nine of swords? While something like agoraphobia can result in an emotional response (cups), it's process wired in the brain first (swords).

Tansey Ella

good ideas from everyone. Anyone who has ever done a reading and feels one card in particular tends to represent agoraphobia, literally fear of market places?
The 4 all seem to allude to this, esp the 4 cups. I see the 4 cups with wanting something you can't have and refusing the one that is offered to you.

celticnoodle

I was also going to say the 8 swords and the 4 of pentacles. Perhaps in some way also the 9 swords.

LovelyMissAries

I thought of The Hanged Man, rendered immobile by indecision.