"You Read Tarot? OOoo DO ME, DO ME!!"

WaterSong

Catlin,

yes, and that's what I am starting to do.I am starting to charge for my readings.... after years of free readings, improptu readings,being put on the spot readings I finally feel comfortable enough to start charging for it.

I still do free readings for freinds and for people I see really need one and cannot pay for it, but the rest has to contribute to the cause.
It has taken me years of practice and study: I have spent money in books and decks, we all know what I am talking about.
It takes years of work to start feeling comfortable with the cards, I think it's fair to get paid for our time and effort.

After years of being put on the spot at parties, at school,at gatherings I have learnt how to set boundaries.
One thing are your friends and people that are dear to you to ask for a reading: it can also be so much fun with a girlfriend!...another thing are strangers that feel entitled to your time and just take all what they can.It has happened to me.
What bothers me is that I know those people don't care about me at all: they just want their reading and I don't function well on that level.

Like the lady described in some other post: she does not care about the people that continually answer her neverending questions: she only cares about herself and what she needs.
I have little tolerance for that type of personality, I have to say.

people that pay you for your service value it. The ones that get it for free all the time tend to take it for granted, that's something I have observed in real life.

The Tarot can be a lot of fun with the right people, it's true.

I have stopped bringing my cards with me, or if I do, I keep it quiet.
It has happened one too many times that I gave in and gave readings for then to find out that people though that I was a little "strange" after all for being "into that".
In front of you it's all smiles to get to the reading, then the page turns.
It used to make me feel sad because I always had this true passion for it and always saw it as an amazing tool.
I would open up about it, try to explain, show, tell...answer questions .So much energy wasted.

I have become a lot more selective and careful through the years, and gone more inwards.

Like I have learnt not to mix tarot with work.One of my coworkers found out I did Tarot readings and then I had the whole office on my back, including my boss.
Sorry, but that's an overstepping of boundaries.I don't think reading Tarot for my boss it's appropriate....she requested one and I did not know how to handle it.
I finally did it and she tried to find fault through it all, then started kind of making a mockery of it( whne she knew well I had told her the truth about a situation).

I guess it's all about live and learn.

Now I chose only to do readings at the metaphysical store where I go.
No more improptu readings, I don't allow anybody to use me as entertainement(or my own ego for that matters to use me) or to put me on the spot when I only want to enjoy myself.I don't feel I have anything to prove.

It's like when I was working as a counselor and people would start talking to me about poor uncle Peter that was soo depressed after his cat had run away...or about brother's Mike heavy drinking.
I am at the party to have fun myself, I am not working!!!!

The thing is that at some point we might we tempted to use Tarot as a way to relate to others, as a way to establish relationships, to be liked or admired....alarm bell...that comes from the ego and it's need to be liked...
and it has it's downfalls.

There is no easy answer and the situations are varied and complex: I just think it takes time and experience to figure out the proper balance.

And I leave it like that.....

XOXOXOXOXO

Alissa

magenta said:
The thing is that at some point we might we tempted to use Tarot as a way to relate to others, as a way to establish relationships, to be liked or admired....alarm bell...that comes from the ego and it's need to be liked...
and it's has it's downfalls.
This is an excellent point, and an ego trap I walked right into in the past myself. I thought it'd be great to make friends by reading for them, etc. I learned the hard way that it was a stupid, stupid idea. Live and learn, just as you said, magenta.

catlin

You're so right, magenta!!! I could not have said it better.

catlin

I am glad I don't need tarot for entering into relationships with ppl. If ppl like me the way I am then it is ok, if not, it is also ok (at least with me).

WaterSong

((((((Alissa)))))

we all have been there....it's not stupid...it's just a learning process...
I still fall into that trap sometimes...I am just better at seeing it and pulling myself out of it....:)

We all want to be liked, it's just that we need to be careful who let in.

This is such a wonderful, inspiring thread, thank you for starting it Alissa :love:

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
HUGHS

Alta

Brilliant post magenta! I agree with every line. Wonderful insights.

(not in any way to knock the many other thoughtful, excellent responses. This has thread has opened my eyes to a lot of aspects I had never considered)

WaterSong

hiya Marion,

thank you...I appreciate it.
I am learning so much...reading others opinions has forced me also to look at myself...I have clarified so many feelings and ideas ....

:love: Marion:love:

I am so glad I found this Forum :)

Alissa

catlin said:
I am glad I don't need tarot for entering into relationships with ppl. If ppl like me the way I am then it is ok, if not, it is also ok (at least with me).
Catlin, I feel I should address this, if it's pointed towards my comment above.

I should clarify I feel I do not *need* Tarot to make relationships with others. However, I *did* decide to use my Tarot reading skills to enter into an experiment with a group of strangers, with whom I hoped to make friends as a result. I set up the parameters of the experiment (which was "Can one read for a role-playing character, or will Tarot read for the individual behind the player only?"). I asked others to pose their questions for their characters, and I read for them. As a result, I opened up a can of worms that I still haven't been able to close completely (even though it's been a year later). And that is what I was refering to in magenta's comment.

But I don't use Tarot to make friends, and I think my opening post demonstrates that statement. I've just fallen victim to the "Tarot reader showing off" ego trap, if I'm being very honest with myself.

Talisman

There's got to be a better reason . . .

catlin said:
You're so right, magenta!!! I could not have said it better.

'Lo all,

I agree.

When I was a little kid I remember an ad that used to run in the backs of comic books for a simple device you put in your mouth which would turn you into an amazing ventriloquist. The ad showed an adult stunned with amazement looking at an empty box on the sidewalk, with a voice balloon coming out of the box saying "Let me out !" In the background a small boy snickers. Man, I wanted to be able to do that.

I was reading "It's All In The Cards," by John Mangiapane (who posts here as Tarotbear) last night, and he contends there are only ~ four ~ simple situations that everyone wants answers about: Money. Work. Love Relationships. And the Future." (He notes that it is unwise and illegal for Tarot readers to diagnose health conditions.)

And who am I to pontificate about any of those four areas ?

Money ? I've always been sort'a indifferent to it. Sure, it's nice, but I always liked this: "That money talks,/ I'll not deny,/ I heard it once, / It said 'Goodbye.' "

Work ? Hell, if you don't like your job, find a better one. Better yet, work for yourself. I do. At least I know the boss.

The Future ? Sure, I'd be a great one to advise anyone about this. I'm still trying to figure out why my beanie with a propellar on top never became a popular fashion accessory.

Love Relationships ? Yeah, sure. I'm so diplomatic and all. "Woman, that guy's a pain in the butt. Dump the jerk."

I am NOT -- repeat NOT -- being critical of folks who can and do read Tarot for others. When I think of a rescue dog climbing over a wobbly pile of rubble and finding a trapped child, I am filled with admiration. I'd like to be a hero too. But, my intellect tells me, I could never do what that dog does. He has a talent I'm lacking. I admire anyone who has a genuine talent for reading Tarot and actually helping people the same way I admire the dog.

I'm guessing that 99.9 % of the human race believes they have a good sense of humor and have keen instincts at reading their fellow human beings. I am no different. Sometimes I think I might be really good at Tarot reading for others. But my intellect tells me my motivation might be the same as that kid character in the comic book ad, to amaze and delight folks. And that ain't right.

So, if someone at a party were to ask me to read for them, in my sweet diplomatic way I'd say, "Buzz off !" (And none of that stops me from enjoying the responses in this thread.)

~ Talisman

Talisman

And this --

'Lo all,

A quick thought -- long as I appear to be ranting anyway:

Doctors, lawyers, plumbers and race tract touts charge for their services. Why in the world shouldn't you ?

~ Talisman