Your first deck?

terow

My first deck was Thoth.. Waooww, huh!?

Yeah, after I studied tarot for one month I bought this tarot deck.. and gimme more accuracy on my reading.. when reading, it as if I got more energy and vitality..

My friends tried to separate me from my thoth.. And they succeded.. There's subtle negative effect from my thoth :(

olivia1

pyrogyne said:
What was your first deck, and how did it influence the kind of reader you are today?

cheers,
pyrogyne

My first deck was the Universal Tarot. I think the biggest influence it had on me is that now I prefer decks that remind me of it and the RWS.

Wendywu

My first was a Rider Waite -"Original Rider Waite" - deck. It was so clear, so easy to read. I loved it. My second was a Hudes in about 1996 or so - I know it wasn't long out. Then I got a Hanson Roberts because it was small and unobtrusive on my desk at work... but I never really got on with it. I found its images too cute, and even though some are dark enough they still feel cute. After that there was a long pause in deck buying until I got the BOTA deck and the large B&W Classic Golden Dawn deck. Then I found this place and after rather a lot of decks, ended up with Ironwing.

mentalista

First I actually bought was a RWS.

The first I actually learned and read with was a Thoth. I believe a greenie - but I didn't know any better.

Goes to show you the value of all that 'good beginner's deck' advice.

MsRubyRain

My very first deck was Healing with The Angels. I didn't even know what oracle cards were. LOL and didn't realize until eons later when I found AT.

My first Tarot was Tarot of the Saints. As a Christian dipping a toe I felt comfortable with buying that deck but quickly bought the Radiant RW deck, and then the sickness began..muwahahahaha.

AnneLien

My first deck was the RWS, but I gave it away almost 3 months laters, I didn't like the images. Than, after a while (and after some oracles and lenormand decks), I bought the Baroque Bohemian Cats tarot, still love it!.

SunChariot

The Haindl. And I am totally happy that it was my first. It was my first and my only for about 6 months.

How it shaped how I read? It is a Thoth based deck whcih I did not know at the time. It was almost a year later when I first heard the term "Thoth". When I started reading I was taking an online Tarot course and reading lots of books. I soon came to see that the meanings of my deck for the Minors and even for some of the Majors have very little to do with what the course told me they meant. Then teh books all had different meanings too.

It gave me a healthy disrepect you might say for believing in set meanings. And instead of memorising or learning meanings I set out to create my own methods and meanings. And to become much more of an intuitive reader than one who relies on any set meanings. The way I read now is the best way for me. Of that I am sure.

Babs

SunChariot

AprilFool said:
Now, some 100 decks later, I STILL have no idea what the Klimt images mean, but I continue to love it! .

With any luck they mean something new, fresh and different to you each time you see them. At least that is how i like decks to be. :grin:

Babs