Your oldest deck?

easyboy82

I love hearing of decks that have been used for many years and still are.. Even if I've been interested in cartomancy and everything else related to occult and new age since I was 12 or so, I got really involved in it too recently to have a well worn deck but when I look my favourite decks I often wonder "how will you look in 10 years?and 20?Will you still be here with me?".
I sometimes found myself preferring a used deck on ebay over a brand new or pre-owned but unused one just because a used deck has a story in it : that's why I get my old British edition Rws in a two parts blue box.
What about you forumers? Which is your oldest deck?What conditions is it in? Does its wear tell stories of your life together? Do you still regularly use it?
I'd love to hear :)

sharpchick

My oldest one is the one that was gifted to me when I first started to read - my Morgan Greer.

The guy who gave it to me had it for five years, and I've now had it for almost four. The wear is most noticeable on the backs - that blue has faded in many areas, paticularly around the edges. It shuffles and reads like a dream.

And now, I think I'll have to go get it out. . .

Knightward

My Oldest Deck is a Rider deck I've had for about 9 years now. It's older then my Thoth Deck by about 3 weeks.

I use the Thoth more then the Rider now, but the Rider is still in good condition, even tho the wear is starting to show on the borders.

-Fenier

firecatpickles

My oldest deck is my Universal Dali that I bought in 1988. It has traveled around the world with me on ship; I have traded it out to Jackdaw* and then bought it back; and now it is dogeared & tired & still difficult for me to read with!

AJ

Morgan-Greer, bought new in '79, was the only deck this lady ever had and it is fluffy with age but shuffles beautifully even though having nearly daily use for 30-ish years. I did run it through Umbrae's fanning powder recipe though to slick-up the cards a bit.

In truth, I roll my eyes when people with a million decks get 2 or 3 back up copies of decks they like. Chances of them wearing out any deck are slim to non-existent. Cards are tough.

moderndayruth

My RWS, that a friend brought from US to China for me back by the end of last century ( 1999.)... It came back with me to 'good old' Europe and travelled meanwhile to most of the neighbouring countries, as well as to UK... The globe-trotter deck ;)
AJ, i love how you put in into words that chances of deck wearing out are 'slim to non-existant' :)
Btw, where can i learn more about the Umbrae's 'powder magic'?

SunChariot

Well I only started reading 3 3/4 years ago or so, so I am sure that others have much older decks than mine...But my first, and oldest, deck is The Haindl. Yes, I still use it. I have between 50 and 60 decks now and I try to rotate so they each get used about the same amount of time. I still love my Haindl, it's a very good deck for me.

But yes it "feels" older than the others. There are no tears in it or colouring that has come off or anything, but it just feels different...smoother in some way. It does look a bit shinier now. Even though I would never touch a deck without washing my hands first, I have too much respect for them. It looks like there are almost very slight ridges in the cards.

I actually generally prefer new decks. At least I would not want an old deck from someone else, but a deck like my Haindl where each sign of aging comse from a reading I lovingly did, that gives the signs of aging sentimental value.

Babs

starrystarrynight

RWS (c)1983, I think.

Nevermore

The first deck I got as a gift was a fat deck with thick cards called the art of Tarot by Liz Dean. Lost that, sadly. My first that I bought for myself is an LS Manga which handles well from he mild use I've put it to:)

My oldest is a Thoth. It's large and a greenie but it's great and handles well cause it's been used plenty. I'm not the first to own it though and got it about a month ago. The backs have faded unevenly as with the fronts, the images aren't consistent with straightness but it's got that wonderful "old book" smell to it that I love.

I also am loving all these "old worn deck" stories:)!

Anam Cara

My oldest deck is an early 70's RWS (in the Maroon hard-cardboard box with the pink ankh backs). It was a gift from a friend who is no longer with us. She inherited it from her mother-in-law, and it still had the receipt tucked into the companion book. Interestingly, there were no prices listed, but I was recently reading a post somewhere here on AT that said the decks were offered as gifts if you joined a book club...makes sense!
Anyway, I don't use it as much as I used to, now that I have
quite a few decks to read with ;) but I would never part with it. It is one of my most cherished belongings.
Fascinating thread! Looking forward to reading more posts here!!
:heart:cara